DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok this question was inspired by another THREAD where the OP was wondering about yearly engine hours on our trucks in comparison to yearly mileage. Basically miles per engine hour. The more I thought about it the more I liked the idea. It would seem to be logical that lower miles per engine hour would mean either more city driving vs highway or more idling. Either way something that might be good to know when buying used (or selling for that matter). We have all heard the claim of the high mileage vehicle that they were easy highway miles. At the very least it might be just interesting to see how far we actually drive for the amount of time we spend in our truck.

I'm not aware of much info on the subject so I thought I thought I would gather some data and compile it. Obviously we all drive differently so the mean (average miles per engine hour) by itself won't tell us a great deal but I'll also find the median and plot a bell curve if we have enough data. I'll update the computations approximately every 10 or so responses.

So please help me get a large enough sample to give some validity to the numbers.

Here is what I need

1. Total Mileage
  2. Total Engine Hours - from the EVIC
  3. Gas or Diesel
  4. Lastly a rating of Local vs Highway driving on a 1 - 5 scale.
5 - 90% or more Highway (I almost never see a stop light)
4 - mostly Highway
3 - pretty much even between Local and Highway
2 - mostly Local
1 - 10% or Less (will I ever get out of this f*@^$#g traffic)​

I know this last one is somewhat subjective but should give us decent info if we get a large enough sample.

I don't need you average since the the stats get compiled as a whole.

E

·
0 Posts
Very subjective study but it might generate some interest. The variables are numerous (speed, long distance trips vs. short trips in city traffic, diesels idling in winter where gas engines are turned off, etc...) so I am not sure you can reliably equate mileage to hours.

But I see you may be developing some calculations with the variables accounted for, or at least given reasonable factors, that could equalize the variables some.

Good luck and have fun with the math!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll start:

28,276 miles

1,072 engine hours

Type - 4

Gas

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Very subjective study but it might generate some interest. The variables are numerous (speed, long distance trips vs. short trips in city traffic, diesels idling in winter where gas engines are turned off, etc...) so I am not sure you can reliably equate mileage to hours.

But I see you may be developing some calculations with the variables accounted for, or at least given reasonable factors, that could equalize the variables some.

Good luck and have fun with the math!
Thanks. All the variables can't be taken into account but the larger the sample size the better the results. When you think about it mileage is a very incomplete piece of data; this won't answer all questions but it should give a better picture of that mileage if we can get a decent sample.

Consider this: The data shows an average of 25 miles per engine hour in mixed driving. You're looking at a vehicle claiming mostly highway but the average is 13 miles per engine hour. Likely that highway claim is at best exaggerated or possibly there has been a lot of idling.

One good point is I should separate gas and diesel at lead at the beginning for comparison. So that is now added.

·
Registered
34 Posts
9500 miles

330 hours

Type 3

Gas

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fantastic folks; keep it coming. I'll start posting the worked numbers as soon as I have at least 10 data responses and I'll break them out further as the sample gets large enough.

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
I would throw your curve for a loop, at job sites my key is always on, sometimes running sometimes not, i have to standby a lot, sometimes hours

59186 miles
1702 hours
gas
4 - 5

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would throw your curve for a loop, at job sites my key is always on, sometimes running sometimes not, i have to standby a lot, sometimes hours

59186 miles
1702 hours
gas
4 - 5
Actually I think we might find you're a good example of why this info might be useful if we get a big enough sample and also why averages alone don't tell you much. Strictly on the numbers you're not far from where I think the average will be but you rating of 4 - 5 means you should be above average. So if i was looking at buying your truck I could suspect that either the type of driving is not correct or there is a lot of idling. You mentioned you do a lot of idling.

Keep them coming!

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Hey highlandchef nice work!! i never knew how many people were in the dark on this question when i made my original post...great work!

i suppose i should chime in...although, since i bought my truck used, i have no idea what type i fit into.

36,000 km
767 hours
gas

Cant wait to see the results!!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ok I know I said I'd wait for at least 10 samples but I'm sure those who gave me their info are interested in how they match up and hopefully it will inspire more participants.. Please understand that these numbers become much more valid with more samples from the community.

At the moment we have 8 samples with a total of 231,969 miles and 7915 engine hours. This means an average of 28,996 miles and 989.4 engine hours or 29.31 miles per engine hour. The current average mileage rating is 3.14 on the 1 - 5 scale.

There are not enough samples to bother with the median and standard deviation and it will be some time before it makes sense to compute any numbers based on mileage type. So keep the samples coming and in the meantime I hope you find the numbers interesting if not yet of great use. Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
78 Posts
This could throw everything off.
4515 miles
1 hour
gas

I took my truck in the other day to the dealership and they had to replace the instrument panel to fix a problem. It now reads 1 hour as I've only driven about a hour.

·
Registered
337 Posts
OK-
3780miles
164hrs.
Gas
my average mpeh=21.2195
Idle = 0 mpg,I avoid idling at all cost.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
How's this? 161,000 miles 4,138 hours gas and I have no idea how to rate how it's driven. Drag race with a 100 shot and a sidewinder cam, lot's of heavy towing miles, I use her to skid out logs and haul firewood. Ram hemi !

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update:

We now have 397,215 miles and 12,229 engine hours as our totals which gives us an overall average of 32.48 miles per engine hour.

That is higher than the last average but since we still have a small sample it's not unusual. What I do find interesting is I am starting to see a pattern with the type of driving and the mileage type rating. I'm not going to post that yet one because the sample is still to small and since the rating is somewhat subjective I don't want to influence the outcome.

One thing I've noticed though most of the samples (not all) are from relative newcomers to the site. Where are the samples from out long term members, mods etc. Come on guys help us out..

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm not with my truck since I'm in Afg., but I'll give this thread a bump b/c I'm very interested to see the statistics with a larger sample size!

-Dan

1 - 20 of 32 Posts