DODGE RAM FORUM banner

161 - 170 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've had mine 2002 Dodge Ram since 2003 and got over 162K on it. I do a bit of towing with it which is a challenge pulling a 35 travel trailer in a stick shift :Wow1:

I've had to replace the tie rod ends up front twice now and the clutch twice over the years but it keeps running. Just finished a 2,000 mile trip in it over Christmas and still got 17mpg for the entire trip. The A/C is shot but the windows still work.

GIJim
That's all you need in the Summer... Helps on gas mileage too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi all,First time posting on here,so apologies if in the wrong place? I own a 4.7 third generation Ram,some tell me its an 03 model,though I'm in south wales U.K. and hard to be specific? I bought the truck 6 months ago with the engine light on,revs are limited to 3,400 and noisy timing chains.The chains are now 100%,all new genuine parts used.The truck can be difficult to start,from hot or cold,occasionally cuts out,though then restarts instantly.When i scan the truck its coming up as a fault in the instrument cluster,that i cannot erase?also says intermittent correlation between crank and cam sensors,we've also changed them for new genuine parts.Does anyone here have any experience of this problem? i,m guessing the instrument cluster issue is causing my problem? Any help please?
Thanks Andrew.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, All. I've only been here a couple of weeks, thanks for your help so far- its been great!

Here's a different question that just comes out of being curious. I've been reading a lot about 2002 4.7L engines having issues with head gaskets. I wouldn't really know if its any more or any less than any other brand, so I thought I would just come out and ask.

I'm not sure if this is more appropriate for the polling section of the forum so forgive me if I mis-post here. I am just wondering what your experiences have been.

How many miles do you have on your 3rd generation (02-08) RAM 4.7L, 2WD with no head or gasket or major engine problems?

I know this has no bearing on what mine will do, but I just want to see.

For the record, I have a 2002 RAM SLT 2WD Quadcab 4.7L with automatic. No towing (may get a pop-up soon though). I drive about 15 miles per day, a good mix of highway and city. Nothing fancy but its mine!

Thanks for your feedback!
-Archaea
I have a 2007 dodge durango just got the headgaskets plus the vavle seats done new timming chains and adjusters h2o pump runs great it had 128k when it broke down

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 04 Ram with a 4.7, has 361, 107 kilometers (224,381 miles) and all I've done to it was plugs and a water pump. its towed a few cars and campers without issues

·
Registered
14 Posts
206,000 running fine. UOA from last change showed very little wear metals, no water or coolant and it runs good. I'll be replacing the oil pan next week because it is rusting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, All. I've only been here a couple of weeks, thanks for your help so far- its been great!

Here's a different question that just comes out of being curious. I've been reading a lot about 2002 4.7L engines having issues with head gaskets. I wouldn't really know if its any more or any less than any other brand, so I thought I would just come out and ask.

I'm not sure if this is more appropriate for the polling section of the forum so forgive me if I mis-post here. I am just wondering what your experiences have been.

How many miles do you have on your 3rd generation (02-08) RAM 4.7L, 2WD with no head or gasket or major engine problems?

For the record, I have a 2002 RAM SLT 2WD Quadcab 4.7L with automatic. No towing (may get a pop-up soon though). I drive about 15 miles per day, a good mix of highway and city. Nothing fancy but its mine!

-Archaea
237462 miles. No issues with head or head gasket. Vapor recovery system... different kind of hell. There is a specific socket for the spark plugs. 3 inch drive in law 12.6 inch long it's on Amazon and it's made specifically for the Dodge 4.7 with16 spark plugs. I lived in my ram for two years having just secured an apartment and two jobs. ( Thank you for the help to the VA's HUD-VASH program.) I have become attached to my ram like it's my second son. I hope to be able to pass it on to my son many years from now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
237462 miles. No issues with head or head gasket. Vapor recovery system... different kind of hell. There is a specific socket for the spark plugs. 3 inch drive in law 12.6 inch long it's on Amazon and it's made specifically for the Dodge 4.7 with16 spark plugs. I lived in my ram for two years having just secured an apartment and two jobs. ( Thank you for the help to the VA's HUD-VASH program.) I have become attached to my ram like it's my second son. I hope to be able to pass it on to my son many years from now.
12 point....6" long

·
Registered
1 Posts

-Archaea
I have 236,000 miles on a 2005 4.7 RAM 2 wheel drive no head gasket issues, but did replace broken exhaust manifold bolts.

161 - 170 of 170 Posts