DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Crew Cab SLT 4x4 5.7 Hemi
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ‘12 5.7 Hemi is sitting right near 125k, and the only maintenance issue I’ve had is the Fuel Pump Relay in the TIPM.

I plan to keep this truck long term, and want to do a 2/4 drop, new bed cover, HID headlight conversion, tails, new head unit, etc.

But… all these cam/lifter fail threads have me concerned. What percentage of the ‘11-12 Hemis had this happen?

What kind of mileage have people put on these 5.7’s without any internal engine failures? I’ve always used Valvoline full synthetic from the first year I had it. Seems maybe I could look into higher grade syn oil, but anyway. Plan on sending out a sample for a UOA at my next oil change.

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,814 Posts
Couple questions before suggesting you be proactive:

Could you survive if the vehicle would be out of commission for at least a couple weeks sourcing parts or having a shop perform the repair?

Do you feel capable of doing a lifter/cam replacement yourself? The bottom ends on these engine's are bulletproof up until the upper ring gaps being tight for 550+ horsepower.

But yes, a UOA will help know the current condition as well as leakdown/compression test. But as you know, as soon as the cam/lifter seizure occurs it's too late.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could you survive if the vehicle would be out of commission for at least a couple weeks sourcing parts or having a shop perform the repair?

Do you feel capable of doing a lifter/cam replacement yourself?
Ugh… we have 2 vehicles and we both work outside the home. Definitely be a hassle to get by on just hers for that time.
I’ve rebuilt engines before, and done short block swaps… but that’s been 30yrs ago! It seems I could do the cam/lifter swap myself. But I also know a guy…
I’m thinking I’ll see what the UOA says… and figure out what it means… bottom line is that money is an issue. Before I spent a few thousand dollars proactively, I might use that to buy a “daily driver” and keep the miles off the Ram. I’m gonna search about the cam/lifter swap now…

·
Super Moderator
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,647 Posts
What percentage of the ‘11-12 Hemis had this happen?
Currently unknown, at least by us peons down here in the cheap seats.
It's likely that RAM has data which give a reasonable estimate, but they're not in a sharing mood, and anyway their estimates are likely to be significantly low since they don't really have an accurate way to track repairs performed by independent shops or by folks fixing it themselves.

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,814 Posts
Approaching 150K miles and beyond, I'd have a cam and set of lifters on the shelf as a maintenance item in case the supply chain is in further shambles(pre-2016 VVT HEMI). OEM lifters latest revision AD and camshaft can be had for $5-600, then you'll want to do timing chain tensioner/guide and water pump. Since the heads will be off new springs and valve seals, easily under $800-1000 in parts if sourced efficiently.

Last thing you want to do is be forced to use economy components on a 8-12 hour service labor replacement. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Off topic as I have a 2013 4.7 Ram Tradesman with 248K miles. Only engine problem I had was a bad water pump at about 160K.
I think I saw you post that! Or I saw somebody post about having a quarter million miles on a 4.7!!!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yup. And the body/interior is in pretty damn good shape too!
That’s what I don’t understand about a lot of people. We have owned vehicles for 10~13yrs, and raised 2 kids with them… and when we gave them away, the people were shocked at how clean and good shape the whole vehicle was in.
Uh…you don’t have to tear the crap out of everything just because you have it a long time!

·
Registered
2013 Ram Tradesman
8 Posts
That’s what I don’t understand about a lot of people. We have owned vehicles for 10~13yrs, and raised 2 kids with them… and when we gave them away, the people were shocked at how clean and hood shape the whole vehicle was in.
Uh…you don’t have to tear the crap out of everything just because you have it a long time!
Amen to that.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
We just sold a 02 Durango 4.7 a few months back that had 240K. Interior didnt even have seats hardly worn as we kept seat covers on it the whole time we owned it. I had a plug that messed threads up, but got away with a thread chaser on it. 2 Water pumps and 3 radiators. I dont think that was to bad. Now have an 11 Durango with 5.7 and 104k and a 12 2500 4wd with 5.7. So far so good. The Durango does have an oil pan gasket leak I am dreading to fix.

·
Registered
2015 1500 Laramie Longhorn CC, 5.7L Hemi, Prairie Pearlcoat/White Gold
67 Posts
My ‘12 5.7 Hemi is sitting right near 125k, and the only maintenance issue I’ve had is the Fuel Pump Relay in the TIPM.

I plan to keep this truck long term, and want to do a 2/4 drop, new bed cover, HID headlight conversion, tails, new head unit, etc.

But… all these cam/lifter fail threads have me concerned. What percentage of the ‘11-12 Hemis had this happen?

What kind of mileage have people put on these 5.7’s without any internal engine failures? I’ve always used Valvoline full synthetic from the first year I had it. Seems maybe I could look into higher grade syn oil, but anyway. Plan on sending out a sample for a UOA at my next oil change.
I had a 2011 5.7 with 176000 miles that got destroyed in a wreck. Up to that point it was perfect. I used full synthetic oil all the time as well as synthetic media filters and with a UOA on each change I'd go 10k miles on each OCI. Never ever had any issues with that engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts