DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if this has ever happened you any of you or not. Back when I owned my 2009 ram 1500 4x4 We had a huge snow storm in the Twin Cities (some might remember when the metrodome lost its roof because of the heavy snow) Anyways we had 17-20" of snow and of course I had to go out and play in it before the plows got it all cleaned up. I was headed down a street where they had only plowed one lane open with no turn lane, so I decided to have some fun and make my own turn lane. I was going a good 30mph when I hit the deep snow, snow was being thrown everywhere including onto the windshield. I felt the truck start to slow down so I gave it more gas, Nothing happened, so I put it to the floor and NOTHING. I was about 20 feet from the end and I was burried. I had forgotten to turn of the damn traction control button and when it sensed the tires spinning it cut the throttle in attempt to give me more traction:doh:. I tried turning it off and getting out with no luck, I then put it in 4-low where none of that traction control is active and still couldnt even budge it. I got out and put my insulated bibs on and grabbed the only thing I had to dig with, a extended handle ice scraper. I had snow upto the top of my bummper and when I started digging under the truck I found that my front wheels were actually OFF the pavement so I knew I was hung up pretty good. I dug for about 30 min and decided to give it one more try. Put it back in 4 low and in reverse and hit the gas, I moved a few inches, I knew I had it then. so after rocking back and forth a few times I was eventually able to back out of the mess. Lesson learned.

So has anyone else here been stuck due to the stupid traction control device that cuts the throttle on the 2009+ Rams? I can see having it while in 2wd but I wish when you turned the 4x4 on it would automatically turn off! I guess Mopar has to cover theire butts though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
So you went 30mph into a 3+ foot drift and you're blaming the traction control for getting you stuck? Your front wheels were off the ground. Were you just gonna ski along on your skid plates?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you went 30mph into a 3+ foot drift and you're blaming the traction control for getting you stuck? Your front wheels were off the ground. Were you just gonna ski along on your skid plates?
Yep I sure am. I would have not gotten stuck IF the throttle wouldnt have been cut due to the traction control. I dont care if you were in half that much snow if your throttle goes from 2500rpm+ to idle you're going to get stuck. It's not just traction control where the brake is applied to whatever wheel thats spinning it actually cuts the power going to the wheels as well.

·
Registered
2020 Ram Sport, night edition
1,519 Posts
Yeah It sure would be nice if we had FULL control of when T/C is active or not. But you're right it is a liability issue. Another reason I love my Trinity!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No disrespect but the only error on my part was forgetting to turn the esp off. I've lived in MN almost all my life and grew up in Northern MN where there are a ton of back roads that dont normally get plowed in the winter. I know what a truck will go through and wont go through(most of the time). I forgot to mention that earlier in that day I went through snow just as bad as what I got stuck in with the esp off and never got stuck. I had stopped to get something to eat and when I started the truck again I forgot to hit the esp button. So the only driver error I see is me not hitting the esp button.

My main point of this is I think its dumb to have to turn the esp button off in 4 wheel drive. Like I said in 2 wheel drive esp can be a great thing but I dont think it has a place in 4- wheel drive. Just my opinion.

I have a hard time believing that I'm the only one that this has happened to. :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
50 Posts
HAHAHA!!!!! I'm sorry but that's just funny as hell. I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you. I don't have any room to laugh. I ran a perfectly good truck into the Atlantic Ocean back in '96. It's a looooong story.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HAHAHA!!!!! I'm sorry but that's just funny as hell. I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you. I don't have any room to laugh. I ran a perfectly good truck into the Atlantic Ocean back in '96. It's a looooong story.
Oh I got some crap for it. I had my then girlfriend now Fiance with me. She to this day wont let me forget it. She likes ford trucks so you can imagine the crap she gave me for getting stuck in a Ram. I told her it didnt count as getting stuck because I didnt need anyone to pull me out:LOL:

Needless to say I wasnt the only one stuck that day but I did feel a little dumb sitting there in the snow pile while others were passing by on the plowed section of road.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got stuck in the same snow storm but not because of traction control, but because the snow built up under the front of my truck and lifted it off the ground

·
Registered
15,702 Posts
No disrespect but the only error on my part was forgetting to turn the esp off. I've lived in MN almost all my life and grew up in Northern MN where there are a ton of back roads that dont normally get plowed in the winter. I know what a truck will go through and wont go through(most of the time). I forgot to mention that earlier in that day I went through snow just as bad as what I got stuck in with the esp off and never got stuck. I had stopped to get something to eat and when I started the truck again I forgot to hit the esp button. So the only driver error I see is me not hitting the esp button.

My main point of this is I think its dumb to have to turn the esp button off in 4 wheel drive. Like I said in 2 wheel drive esp can be a great thing but I dont think it has a place in 4- wheel drive. Just my opinion.

I have a hard time believing that I'm the only one that this has happened to. :4-dontknow:
no disrespect taken, in my younger days i did what you did and more. plenty of snow here in jersey also, except this year. traction control cannot be completely disabled. once you start packing snow under you truck, you are going to rasie you front front wheels every time. still going with driver error. but you were out there just having some fun, you didn't break anything so all is good. now when it comes my jeep, i keep finding new ways to preform driver error and getting myself stuck.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Don't mean to jack your thread, but this gem was too good to leave sitting there. Care to share any details with us? I'm sure we could all use a good laugh today after NOT winning the Mega Millions...:LOL:

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
I like traction control so much that I automatically turn it on every time I start my truck. I know that as soon as I turn it on, the yellow indicator lights in the EVIC and I can drive through 10x more then when it's 'off'.

Oh come on now. Settle down. It's a Joke!

My question is - "Why is it that the 20% of us that know how to drive are required through legislation to put up with 'safety' systems that are designed to allow the 80% that yield a Cracker jack drivers license to operate their vehicle without loosing control?

I have the pleasure of enjoying winter for typically 7 months a year (although this year was a reprieve :)) and I find that traction control is a great way to get yourself stuck in deep snow. There are times when there is no substitute to speed and having your HP available for the driver to control. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like traction control so much that I automatically turn it on every time I start my truck. I know that as soon as I turn it on, the yellow indicator lights in the EVIC and I can drive through 10x more then when it's 'off'.

My question is - "Why is it that the 20% of us that know how to drive are required through legislation to put up with 'safety' systems that are designed to allow the 80% that yield a Cracker jack drivers license to operate their vehicle without loosing control?

I have the pleasure of enjoying winter for typically 7 months a year (although this year was a reprieve :)) and I find that traction control is a great way to get yourself stuck in deep snow. There are times when there is no substitute to speed and having your HP available for the driver to control. :)

Finally someone who knows what I'm talking about!:smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'll make that long story short. I was driving down the beach in Daytona. It was a really hot day. Been partying all night. Passed out from the heat and drove straight into the Atlantic-friggin-Ocean. I was driving a '96 Dakota that I had about 6 months. Damn near drowned. Lifeguards don't make enough if you ask me!!!!!! If I ever meet any of you in person, I'll give you the long version.

·
Registered
110 Posts

As someone from ND, and been up to Brandon many times - it's too true. This year was nice though, but usually kinda just gotta balls out it through it, but not with the bog down!

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
Anyone that says that have not been in a similar situation at some time
For one, has not PLAYED with their vehicle enough yet
2nd has not seen enough sand, snow, ice, or floods
I lived in Connecticut & i have even been stuck on a farm tractor

You are so right, i want to control the vehicle, not have the vehicle decide what is best for me.
I have been driving equipment & passenger vehicles since i was able to reach the peddles & see over the dash board at the same time, to damn close to 60 years
I rather not have computers in anything with an engine
Give me an option anytime

1 - 19 of 19 Posts