DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, presently ive got a 2015 ram 1500 quadcab 4x4 and using a 2.5" drop to tow my boat. Now im in the process of buying a 2017 ram 2500 4x4 off road package and was wondering how much of a drop i would need to tow the boat. Reason im asking is i would be picking up the new (to me) truck and towing the boat home the same weekend and wont have very many options to try and get it right and level for towing. Thanks

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I'd measure the boat trailer's hitch height then take a trip to your RAM dealer and measure the hitch height on a 2500.

Or do what I did and get an adjustable drop hitch. I've got a 10-inch drop on a 3500, I need the 10-inch drop to get my car hauler sitting level. My boat sits (18-foot fishing boat) about 2 inches higher than the car hauler which is sitting at an 8-inch drop from the hitch. I believe the 2500 and the 3500 have the same ride height albeit I do have the rear air leveling system which reduces the amount of drop needed.

I run the Weight Safe drop hitch with the built-in scale, that scale comes in handy, takes the trailer loading guess work out.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I would also recommend a adjustable hitch, I have one for my 2016 2500 6.4 Hemi C.C. 4x4, mine is not the scale model but you just can't beat a adjustable hitch when have a truck. Got several non adjustable hitches on the shelve before I got smart. every time I had to pull a different trailer seemed like my hitch was to high so off for a different drop hitch. If you can afford the scale drop hitch get it an aluminium adjust adjustable one and for a 1500 Ram 4x4 I would get a 6" drop at least. Good luck. Carol

·
Registered
118 Posts
They each seem to come out a little different. An adjustable drop would work well, or you can measure the level boat trailer and the new truck. If you know your old truck is 2" then you can measure your old truck ground to bottom of hitch and new truck ground to bottom of hitch and see difference. But measuring the boat trailer is probably more accurate.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Measured hitch to ground on old tryck and new truck. Bought a 6" ball mount drop and worked out perfect. Boat trailer sat perfectly. Thanks for the help and info everyone!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts