DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i'm sure this question has been asked before, but i couldn't find it. in the Gen 3 5.7L hemi how much of the stock 345 at the crank lost through the drive train? i've got flowmaster 44 series exhaust, headman headers, and K&N cold air intake and i'm trying to get an idea of how much horse i have at the crank and at the wheels.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I would put the average drivetrain loss at around 18-22%. That's based on the numerous dyno vids I have watched on Youtube of both third gen and fourth gen trucks. That puts a stock third gen at around 270ish to the wheels so probably a little bit more than a 50HP loss actually. More like 75HP. These trucks really aren't very efficient in getting their power to the ground. There aren't too many bone-stock dyno vids of third gen trucks. Most of them have minor bolt-ons like you. I would guess you are looking at 280-285 to the wheels.

·
Registered
877 Posts
"Generally" cars are around 15%, and trucks are around 18% +/-... 345hp would = approximately 283'ish.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I don't think our trucks are that efficient though. Based on the Youtube numbers, I don't think a stock third gen will make it to 280.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I don't think our trucks are that efficient though. Based on the Youtube numbers, I don't think a stock third gen will make it to 280.
You might be right. I've had a few cars dyno'ed, but never a truck. I know that the drivetrain is heavier on the Gen3, so that would affect measurables a little more...

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
As I was saying earlier, there aren't really any good stock third gen dyno vids out there but there are quite a few fourth gens and the fourth gen trucks seem to be pretty consistent at around 300HP and 310TQ to the wheels. That's a hefty 23-24% drivetrain loss. That loss on a third gen would come out to around 265HP/290TQ which I would say is pretty darn accurate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.