DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very much appreciate all of the advice from all responders as my inexperience with Ram and in the field of Diesel engines is why I joined this forum!

I own a 2014 Ram 3500HD 6.7 Cummins.

As technically sophisticated as our trucks are, I do not believe, or I have yet to see, that we are to follow the maintenance minder for oil changes, tranny and differential service, etc., to the letter or am I wrong to assume that? Before the truck I owned an Acura and would be turned away by the dealer if I went in for maintenance before the 15% oil life point. Should I just be following the truck’s ability to advise me when and what maintenance is due?

·
Premium Member
2018 Ram 1500 Cummins Delmonico Red
59 Posts
Follow the service interval in the manual, change the oil every 15k miles, 6 months, 500 hours or when the minder says to.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Two ways to do it, one is if you are under warranty and are afraid the dealer will deny you a warranty claim then just change the oil every 15,000 miles as the manual says, if you are out of warranty and want to really know if your oil needs to be changed send in an oil sample to Blackstone labs or one of the other used oil labs and they can tell you if your oil needs to be changed.

The truth is the majority of people change their oil way to soon and are just wasting money, I only run Redline Group V Ester Synthetic oil in my vehicles and as an example my Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental 113 cubic inch V-Twin air cooled shared sump engine can easily go twice the distance on an oil change from what the manufacture says to change it.

Yamaha says change the oil every 4,000 miles but my used oil analysis shows the engine wear is excellent with my engine running 8,000 miles on an oil change and is showing less wear than the average oil run of only 2,500 miles. So I am going almost four times the distance and my wear numbers are better than the universal averages for this engine in Blackstone's database.

Example according to Blackstone the average mileage on oil sent to them for analysis is only 2,500 miles vs my 8,000 miles and here are the wear numbers:

Aluminum universal average: 7 parts per million (PPM) my engine 8,000 miles 3 PPM.

Iron universal average: 11 PPM my engine 8,000 miles 7 PPM

Copper universal average: 6 PPM my engine 8,000 miles 2 PPM

Lead universal average: 1 PPM my enigne 8,000 miles 0 PPM

The TBN reading is the active ingredients that combat combustion by products and acids show the Redline 10w-40 motorcycle oil is still 8.1 which is excellent after running 8,000 miles. Many new oils don't don't show that much TBN in them.

The Yamaha V-Twin is a shared sump system meaning the engine, gear driven primary and gear driven transmission all share the same oil, gears are hard on oils but the Redline 10w-40 Group V Ester Synthetic oil holds up in this environment. This is why I am such a believer in Redline Group V Ester Synthetic oils, they have proven themselves in real world use.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great suggestions, thank you!

I imagine I’m not the only person that has started a thread on this topic so please direct me to where I can find any of this info rather than making you repeat what has already been covered.

Has anyone used oil sample tests to determine oil condition at various mileage intervals? Not that I’m interested in extending oil changes beyond the recommendations here but would be interested to see comparisons.

Also, would be good to know whether your diesel is prior to or after emissions came into play with these engines. I would imagine that those with EGR and DEF, would not run as clean.

What filters are you using, not only for oil but fuel as well? I see a number out there at very different costs but I wonder why you would choose one over the other?

In so far as additives are concerned, is this more a requirement because the Diesel engine runs dirtier over gas? Do not believe the owners manual recommended additives so if you are using them what do you recommend and why?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I run fleetguard or mopar filters for oil, fuel and CCV. Fleetguard is a Cummins company, they make the mopar oem oil filter and engine mounted fuel filter.
I actually use the upgraded fleetguard LF16035 "stratopore" oil filter, it is one step up from the oem filter, which is equivalent to the fleetguard LF3972.
NEVER, NEVER use the cheap chinese junk filters you will find on amazon and ebay.

Additives are a waste of $$$, not needed at all except in extreme circumstances such as fuel that has gelled, then use some anti-gel, but nothing beyond that is necessary.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I run fleetguard or mopar filters for oil, fuel and CCV. Fleetguard is a Cummins company, they make the mopar oem oil filter and engine mounted fuel filter.
I actually use the upgraded fleetguard LF16035 "stratopore" oil filter, it is one step up from the oem filter, which is equivalent to the fleetguard LF3972.
NEVER, NEVER use the cheap chinese junk filters you will find on amazon and ebay.

Additives are a waste of $$$, not needed at all except in extreme circumstances such as fuel that has gelled, then use some anti-gel, but nothing beyond that is necessary.
Thanks,

I found this on YouTube
which, just on how the filter was constructed, I was surprised to see regrading lack of quality in the Mopar product. Not sure we can get the Amsoil filter in Canada but the Fleetguard would be the next best filter based on this study alone.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Amsoil is overpriced on both their oil and filters.
The oem mopar filter is made by fleetguard, but is their base filter, not the much better
"stratopore" version.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
For filters on a Cummins Diesel Fleetguard is a safe bet because they are a quality filter. No need to look for anything else filter wise. You can purchase Fleetguard filters from Geno's Garage on line if you can't source them locally.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts