DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I'm new to this forum and Ram trucks. This is my first post.

I'm upgrading to LEDs on the inside. After running LEDs in my old Avalanche for a few years, I just can't stand those dim incandescent lights.

The problem is that I can't figure out how to access the rear interior lamp on my new 2018 Ram 1500 Double Cab Lone Star (a.k.a. Bighorn). I have a full set of spludgers. (Those are pry tools for those of you who aren't old enough to know the term. Some younger geeks incorrectly call them Spudgers.) But I did some poking around with them last evening and couldn't find an obvious way to remove either the rear cab light lens or the whole assembly, without applying a lot of pressure and I don't want to break anything.

So, does anyone know how to change that rear cab interior light?

While I'm talking LEDs, does anyone know what LEDs to use in the vanity mirror lights?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
SUCCESS!!!

[email protected]#n, the inside of my truck is bright.

I just answered my own question. After posting the above question, I decided to take one more shot at it. I also used my 10,000 lumen flashlight this time. Once I got enough light on the subject, it became clear.

If anyone else is trying to do this, here is what to do.

First, you are going to remove the lens, not the whole housing.

On the driver's side (the side that pushes in, to turn the rear cabin light on and off), there is a small notch in the plastic lens. That's where you place your flat prying spludger. You will be prying in such a way that the inside edge of the lens is being pushed toward the passenger side, while the spludger is pushing against the outside of the housing. It helps if you have a flat flexible spludger, to insert into the space you are making, right in the horizontal centerline between the driver side of the housing and the lens. The lens will just hinge down.

The lamp that it uses is a 400 lumen, 42 mm festoon bulb. To be more specific, it's also identified as 211–2, 212–2, 569, or 578. I chose a white color (6000K) Canbus Error Free LED Bulb, in case I need to use it anywhere else, where I might want to prevent a Canbus "Bulb Out" error. They are available all over Amazon.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts