DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While visiting my family out of state i took time to get my oil changed at the dealership. I had a service contract with one final oil change left on the contract so i used it. I noticed today after i got back from the trip that the dealership did not put a new (next oil change) sticker on the windshield, so how do i know that they actually changed the oil. I have a service ticket but those can be faked, especially since this is through mopar and the dealership makes next to nothing off the deal, they could have faked the oil change.

Usually i leave my cam connected on my truck so i can see into the engine compartment on the video to watch them work and hear what they say, but i forgot this time. So how do i know for sure they did the oil change? I checked the oil and it looks the same, especially after 700 miles on the trip back. Or do i just have to take their word for it at this point?

Thanks

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, the oil filter is clean, im not sure if they just wiped it off or not. The oil is not dark black but its browner than i thought it would be. I originally started filming the techs out of simple curiosity and i thought it would be cool as i could watch them without standing around making them feel pressured. But then one time i took the truck in early for an oil change and i watched the tape at home and i saw the tech remove my oil filler cap, then out of site of the camera someone ask him something (not audible) i had heard him say "im not changing that" and the other person put my filler cap back on and i never saw any oil being put into the truck. I never reported it because i had no proof he was refering to my truck. But it taught me that i need to record every time to be sure they do the job, if i can see them in the cam or hear them talking.

Thats why im alittle suspicious, because mopar offers these deals and pretty much seems to force the dealers to sell them (mine was $100 for 3 oil changes in 3 years) and they dont make much money as oil and filters are expensive, alot more than i paid even for a dealership im thinking. So im thinking they fake it sometimes especially if they cant upsell you on something else.

The reason im alittle worried this time is because they are suppose to pay attention to details when they do things, and forgetting to put a sticker is so simple to remember that it should NEVER be forgotten, so if they forgot the sticker then what else did they forget.

Im 50/50 on this... especially since im from out of state and there is no way to prove they didnt do it once im back on the road. They save money and i gets the shaft.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
A few hundred miles will brown conventional shop oil, even thin Penz platinum synthetic.
You can’t get the filter out of the subframe without spilling or wiping down, so that would really be your only evidence after several drives. Especially up north where we already have salt/sand covered roads.

if they went out and just reset the oil life monitor, well that’s why I do my own work on all vehicles even under “warranty”.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Two things you can do to guarantee your oil/filter was changed.
1. Before you drive off check the dipstick. Oil will be clean and you are also assuring the correct amount was put in.
2. Mark your oil filter by scratching the paint in a small area, then check it after the service.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I don't doubt that somewhere, now and then, there are dealerships stupid or desperate enough to pretend, complete with paperwork, that they've performed the oil/filter change service when they have not.
But I'll bet it's pretty damn rare, 'cos the potential "savings" are piddling compared to the potential fraud penalty if they get caught.
It's a really lousy gamble with a terrible profit/loss ratio and a relatively high risk potential, since there's no way to know how savvy a customer might be, or how attentive in checking the dipstick or marking the filter etc.

Usually I do my own service work, but with the RAM my cost for the 7quarts of recommended oil and a quality filter is only about 5 bucks less than price my dealer charges (with an online coupon discount) so I have them do it.
I've watched them a couple of times and they do it very quickly and efficiently, then they grease the Cardan joint and reset the monitor.

They've never yet put a sticker on the windshield, so obviously some dealers do that and some do not. Maybe all that happened is that this dealer you went to on your trip is one which doesn't.

·
Registered
91 Posts
When I bought my 2017 limited, it came with oil changes. I never used them. I like to change my own oil, that way I know that the right oil that I use is used.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts