DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2018 Express Quad cab with the Blackout package with 20x8 semi-gloss black aluminum wheels. The black accents on the Silver Ram was quite eye catching. I am planning to keep this truck for many years to come but realize that since I've never owned black wheels I have no idea how to take care of them.

Looking for advice on how to clean and protect them so bearing no unforseen events that they look as good five years from now as they do today. Was planning to stay with the Meguiars line of products but thought I'd post up on the forum for others input.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow.. this is interesting and I'd never heard of Adams. Thanks ou812, I'll certainly look into this a bit more and I appreciate the response.

·
Registered
257 Posts
A couple tips (from my experience):

- Do not let them get too dirty (a lot of brake dust and/or road grime), it will eat away at your finish...and do not let it sit on the wheels for long periods
- Clean the inner barrels of the wheels regularly...you can eat off the inside of my wheels (a brush like this helps A LOT)
- Use a pressure washer, soap/water and CLEAN microfibers to dry them
- If you keep up on them, they will stay very clean
- Use NON-acidic cleaners made for all wheel types...again if you keep up on them, this will rarely be needed (I love Car Guys Wheel Cleaner)...I do this once ever 2-4 washes
- These pictures are after 150+ miles since last wash...and the truck has 7k miles on it now...I did not seal the wheels, just regularly stay on top of them

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow.. I agree that you can eat off them! Man are those clean and look great. Thanks for the tips!

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
I don't have black wheels, but I always treat wheels the same as the paint. Wash and wax

·
Registered
108 Posts
2013 with chrome clads here but the idea is the same for all wheels. You really don't need any fancy wheel cleaners or waxes. The BEST way to keep wheels looking good for years is to simply keep them clean. The longer you leave brake dust, dirt, etc on them the more likely they are to start peeling or chipping. The guys at work think I am nuts because I clean my wheels every 2 weeks at the longest, especially in the winter with the salt on the roads here. But they still look really good with 70k miles on them, no chipping or yellowing at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts