DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, It has came to my attention that the instructions on the K&N recharge kit are really vague, and yes I have to agree they are. SO...

For all of you that have had problems with the directions here is detailed instructions via your best friend Alex :). This is for all of you cold air intake owners. OH by the way, there is an aerosol can involved, so for all of you enviromentalists, sorry. A. Do not recharge your filter. B. Buy a prius. C. Do not pass go and do not collect your $200. Anyways...

You will need...
1. a towel
2. flat head screw driver
3. k&n recharge kit
4. A few hours spare time
5. Vaccum or Shop Vac

Step 1. Open your hood and find the cold air intake assembly.
Step 2. Remove the filter using a flat head screwdriver
Step 3. Set up your work station. I just used a towel as a place mat, (strongly reccomended, the oil may stain)
Step 4. Carefully take your filter and knock off any big particles of debris.
Step 5. Open the K&N recharge kit, and grab the "Air filter cleaner."
Step 6. Apply the Air filter cleaner onto your filter very very generously. Do not be afraid to really lather it on there. And DO NOT spray the inside of your cold air intake filter.
Step 7. Let sit for about 10-15 minutes.
Step 8. Once settled, Hose it off from only the outside, yes it will bleed through to the inside, don't worry about that.
*NOTE* It may be neccessary to repeat steps 6-8 depending on how dirty your filter is, I had to repeat a few times.
Step 9. Let dry. It should be white (ish). Now I know you guys are anxious to get this back on and oiled, etc. The drying process took about an hour. The water likes to pool up on the bottom of the filter, gently spin the filter and knock this excess off, it will speed up the process.
Step 10. Once the filter has dried, remove the "Air Filter Oil." (depending on the kit you get there may be a squeeze bottle and aerosol bottle. I personally have used both. i'll have steps A. for aerosol bottle and B. for squeeze bottle)
Step 11A. Using the aerosol bottle, Apply evenly accross the filter so that it should look red. DO NOT APPLY INSIDE THE FILTER. I applied it about 5 pleats at a time. 2 squirts, 1 up, 1 down. Then move on.
Step 11B. Using the squeeze bottle, Apply 1 drop to the top of each pleat and let sit. DO NOT APPLY INSIDE THE FILTER.
Step 12A. Let dry for 20 minutes.
Step 12B. Next, apply a line of oil to each pleat, Just enough to cover the edge of each pleat. I promise, the oil will soak into every crevice :)
Step 13A. You may have spots that are lighter than others or may not. If you do, touch these up with more oil.
Step 13B. Let dry for 20 minutes.
**AT THIS POINT** The filter may or may not be dry, and I know your wondering, "well maybe I over oiled, I don't want to hydrolock" or whatever other excuses you can think of.
Don't worry, THERE IS A SOLUTION! To simulate the sucking of an engine, grab a vaccum or shop vac of some sort. Suck any excess beads off, (most of the oil has settled by now... I promise). Once the exterior is looking bead free, go ahead and suck from the inside for a while, This will pull the excess in, and then out.
Step 14 (all). Re-install the filter back on to your car.
Step 15 (all). Turn on the car, let idle for 10 minutes or so just to make sure there is no leaks, and so that your car can get used to breathing again :)
Step 16 (all). Drive around for a few miles, and check up on how tight the clamp is and that there is still no leaks.
Step 17 (all). Party it up, because you have successfully cleaned and RECHARGED your K&N filter without damaging anything! Congratulations!

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By the way, If your still questioning this process, Contact K&N through their website, email at [email protected], or even call tech/customer service at 1-800 858 3333. I assure you, you'll do just fine :p

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
cool :smileup:

·
Registered
948 Posts
Nice job with the write up. I didn't want to go with K&N because of the cleaning procedure. I am now using an Amsoil filter that only requires blowing out, or vacuuming every few thousand miles. Might have gone with the K&N had the instructions been clearer. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Great writeup! I too like that the Mopar filter doesn't require any oiling. You just wash it in warm soap and water and let it air dry.

:rep:

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
You mean I can't wash my K&N out with the pressure washer here at work and then oil it with M1 5W-30? :Wow1:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
You said not to rinse from the inside???? the K&N kit that i have clearly says to let the water run from the inside out, to push loose all the particles that were stuck in it? so when you said hose from the outside it got me wondering..some clarification on that would be nice!

Other then that its a great write up :smileup:

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You said not to rinse from the inside???? the K&N kit that i have clearly says to let the water run from the inside out, to push loose all the particles that were stuck in it? so when you said hose from the outside it got me wondering..some clarification on that would be nice!

Other then that its a great write up :smileup:
My K&N kit gave me really crappy instructions, never stated that anywhere. Maybe they saw this and did work for once haha. I'm sure it doesn't matter really, but I figured since I needed my truck the next day I didn't want it saturated in water and drying forever.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts