DODGE RAM FORUM banner

How to convert 3rd Gen (2006) front end to a 4th Gen (2009) front end? Need help please...

22261 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Thunderhorse
So I want to convert my 3rd Gen (2006) front end

To this front end off a 4th Gen 2009 single cab ram.

Is this even possible and if so, what all do I need besides the bumper, entire grill assembly, headlights and rewiring the headlights. I'm assuming I also need the front fenders and hood? Any kinda brackets or radiator supports or anything?

Any kind of input or help would be greatly appriciated. Especially if you have any pics of a 3rd Gen to 4th Gen conversion in red!!

Thanks in advance guys and girls!!!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
34,388 Posts
I have never seen anything like this. For starters, a 4th gen is entirely different from a 3rd gen from the frame up. UCAs will interchange on '06+ but that's about all I know about other than wheels. The 5.7L Hemis aren't even the same (heads are completely different for starters).

Anyway, you will at least require 4th gen front quarter panels to accommodate the lights and fit the bumper, and a 4th gen hood to fit the quarter panels. Actually the accent crease in the doors on a 4th gen starts at the quarter panel and I know 3rd gens don't have that so you may need some custom sheetmetal fab so that the quarter panels will accommodate the front end but blend with the doors. You will also need fabbed mounts to the frame for the bumpers because as I mentioned the frames are different on 3rd and 4th gens.

If you are hell bent on doing it it will be a cool project that I look forward to seeing, but if not it may be cheaper/easier to just get an actual 4th gen. It would be cool to see people do the double take wondering WTF they just saw when a 4th gen front goes by with 3rd gen everything else, but that's a hell of a lot of work for cosmetics.

The front of your 3rd gen looks awesome BTW. There are more 4th gens on the road than any other Ram, especially as the gen 3s get older so you may just want to keep it the way it is or add the SRT-10 front end

· Premium Member
32,816 Posts
A few years back, a member did that conversion
I believe they had to change out all of the sheet metal forward of the doors

The one thing that i like about the older Gen 3 Rams was that everything is exposed when you opened the hood. Working on the engine was made easier

· Premium Member
34,388 Posts
Yeah I used to think it looked bad that the grille came up with the hood, but imagine how much easier it would be to get to the headlights. It really made more sense and I think they should go back to it. I wonder if someone makes a conversion kit?

ETA actually that can't work because of the headlights

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.