DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm really enjoying my new-to-me 2012 Ram 1500.

One of the big questions I have is how can I increase the towing capacity? Right now, using the travel trailer towing calculator at changinggears.com, according to the calculator my max safe trailer weight is just under 4900 lbs. The Ram specs say 6050 lbs. What can I do to increase my max trailer weight?

Thanks for any suggestions and I'm really enjoying this truck!

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Buy a 2500. The truck is limited by its components. A 3/4 toon truck is the best choice for towing a younger tow trailer. If you're going 5th wheel a 1 ton is the best choice. How much are you trying to pull?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
5500 lbs is about as much as I'm going to try to pull. Buying another truck just isn't an option right now. I'm going to try to size the trailer for what the truck can pull. But if I can help the truck out a little, then I'd like to explore those options.

The next truck will be a 3500 diesel but that's about 5-7 years off.

·
Registered
86 Posts
install air lift air bags love them i would not do air intake may make too much noise and get a good weight distrubution hitch i have a husky love it

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
install air lift air bags love them i would not do air intake may make too much noise and get a good weight distrubution hitch i have a husky love it
That's not going to increase his towing capacity, but aid in towing.
I tried the air lift bags myself and didn't like them, I switched to Tuftruck springs and liked them much more. The springs aren't any harder to install than the air bags.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I figure air bags or springs should help level the truck out when I'm hitched up. Data for my truck shows 6050 as the max trailer weight. The trailer I'm looking at has a max gross of 5700. That pushes the safety margin but is within Ram's numbers. Hitch weight is going to be about 500 lbs. Probably only be towing in the flats so probably be okay. I'll have to take a look at the springs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And here's the truck I want to tow with. I still need to get a brake controller as well. The engine has tow mode but no brake controller came with the truck.

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
Which rear end do you have ?
3:21 , 3:55 , 3:92

If you don't know for sure
get your VIN # & then go to this website
http://www.ramtrucks.com/webselfservice/ram/

Look for where it reads YOUR VEHICLE & then EQUIPMENT LISTING
click on that, a new window will open & then you insert your VIN#
Everything about your Ram should be listed there

It looks like a Tradesman Standard Cab 4.7L 3:55 will tow 6450 pounds
It looks like a Tradesman Standard Cab 4.7L 3:92 will tow 7700 pounds

Now with the image, i see that you have a Quad Cab & Ram Box

3:55 towing is 5950 pounds
3:92 towing is 7200 pounds

what size wheels do you have ?
17" or 20" ?

referenced towing guide
https://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/pdf/RAM.1500.Towing.Specs.pdf

side note,
I just noticed that you have this posted in the wrong section, your Ram is a 4th generation
This is the Towing 1st Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well dang, how do I move this to the right area?

And to answer your questions it looks like I have the 3.55 axle and 17 inch tires.

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
I wouldn't worry about moving it to the 4th gen area
I was just pointing it out

Maybe one of the moderators will also notice it & correct it for you

Changing the tow rating of a vehicle can not be done, you can only make the towing safer with things like weight distribution hitch

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, the manual says WDH for a trailer over 5000 lbs so I was planning on that. I'm thinking that as long as I stick to the flats and don't push it I should be able to pull this trailer safely.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A couple things one can do is purchase a good tuner. Diablo has great reviews. Also an aftermarket transmission cooler. I'd buy those two things to optimize available towing capacity. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts