DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my Ram 2012 in about 1 month and was wondering if there was anything I could do to prevent the spare tire from collecting dirt.

I don't plan to do offroad but would like to keep the spare tire clean just so it doesn't look like crap if I ever need to use it.

One thing I was thinking was to remove it from under the truck and store it inside the bed which should keep it from building dirt (I plan on buying a Bakflip tonneau cover) But is there something that I could buy to keep the wheel from moving around in the trunk (just in case I happen to do a quick turn or some unexpected big bump).

I don't really mind if it take some of the trunk space and can put it back under if I ever need it.

·
Registered
666 Posts
If you want to stow it in the bed either a rubber bed mat or a BedRug will keep it from sliding around. I've used them both (I have the BedRug now) and trust me, once the tire's in there it isn't moving.

·
Registered
542 Posts
never thought about this...but what about taking it down, rap it with saran wrap and put it back under neath the truck I was thinking a heavy duty garbage bag but you would have to tape it up really good so your truck dose not sound like a plastic bag blowing down as you drive.....

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
never thought about this...but what about taking it down, rap it with saran wrap and put it back under neath the truck I was thinking a heavy duty garbage bag but you would have to tape it up really good so your truck dose not sound like a plastic bag blowing down as you drive.....
Still gotta have a hole in the middle for the winch, unless you plan to tape it off once it's up.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Still gotta have a hole in the middle for the winch, unless you plan to tape it off once it's up.
just a small one on the top side....but you could tape it up

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'd leave it just as it is and take it off a couple of times a year to wash the salt and gravel off. The chances of you needing to take it off and use it are fairly slim. I can count on one hand how many times in the last 40+ years of driving I've had to change a tire.

·
Registered
169 Posts
On my 2011 I placed one of those vinyl type spare tire covers over my 17" spare tire and it worked really well for a bit. Unfortunately, it was just a little too tight as it was made for a slightly smaller tire and ended up splitting apart. You can see these types of covers on the back of Jeeps, etc. that have their spare tires mounted outside on the back door. A larger one would work welll and I will end up doing this again once I find a bigger cover.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Is this a joke? You just wash it when your cleaning the muffler, frame, oil pan, floor pans, drive shaft, backside of the bumpers, ....................

·
Banned
1,446 Posts
Be careful of using that Lava on your valve stem----
Jay

1 - 13 of 13 Posts