DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought my pickup used in 2007 and had always been a Chevy guy until then. I am happy to say that I have never looked back. Times were different then; single, no kids, no pets, just lots of time spent in the woods. The standard cab '94 was perfect for me. Fast forward a few years and now I am married, kids, and 2 1/2 dogs (my daughter's dog is a chihuahua). If we take a trip in the truck to go camping, everything is alright until she wants to bring a friend. Then all of a sudden the weekend get-a-way entails military convoy prep to make sure we have everything and now we are taking 2 vehicles just to fit everyone in.

I love my pickup, but it is time to upgrade to a 4 door. I still want a diesel, but here is my dilema. My cousin just bought an F-350 (nobody's perfect) that he got a great deal on, and the next day dropped it off at the shop and dropped another $5k for the egr delete, head studs, and a few other odds and ends. I would love to be able to just buy a truck and not have to dump tons of money into it to keep it from trashing the engine.

I have read on this forum about the 5.9 from '03-'06 not having an egr like others that I have read about. That the egr in it is actually in the cylinder and that just by getting a tuner, you can advance the timing and do essentially the same thing. First, is that true? Could a simple tuner be the answer and keep you from future engine issues due to the egr? Second, are there other years that have diesel engines without all the egr problems? If so, what other years are solid?

I have been cleared by the wife to start looking for a "new" truck, but not to turn around and dump a couple grand into it before I even use it. Just trying to figure out what years to look for that won't have all the egr problems. Any info or insight is greatly appreciated.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts