DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 Ram 1500 Big Horn with 8.4 UConnect system (no navigation).

Got a UConnect software update yesterday over the air (didn't need a USB thumb drive). I was wondering what software version I received. Went into Settings > System Information > Software License and it does not reveal the software version. Instead it tells me to go to a us.panasonic.com website for more information. Visiting that website gives me a document with links to all the various software licenses but no current software version.

I went to the UConnect Software update web page, entered my VIN and was told everything was up to date, but no information as to which software version I'm running

I want to know where I can find the software version my truck is running. Where do I find this information?

Also, where can I see system log changes? That is, where can I see what the software update changed about the software?

·
Registered
665 Posts
DEFROST (right), and TEMP UP (left) and TEMP DOWN the same time.

this should take you into engineering mode, which will show you all the software revisions including software, and wifi settings.

As i recall, the UCONNECT team used this when I was trying to find the IMEI of my wifi hotspot.

this pertains to an 18 with the 8.4 inch screen (nav or no nav), Panasonic head unit.

However, I don't know of anywhere to obtain logs to see what changed. Did it not state on the touch screen FROM and TO versions?

***************************************************************************************************************************
hold down driver's side temp hot and cold and front defrost buttons simultaneously until the dealer menu comes up, then it's pretty easy to find from there.
***************************************************************************************************************************

I almost had it right! :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DEFROST (right), and TEMP UP (left) at the same time.

this should take you into engineering mode, which will show you all the software revisions including software, and wifi settings.

As i recall, the UCONNECT team used this when I was trying to find the IMEI of my wifi hotspot.

this pertains to an 18 with the 8.4 inch screen (nav or no nav), Panasonic head unit.
Thanks. I'll check it out.

[quote}However, I don't know of anywhere to obtain logs to see what changed. Did it not state on the touch screen FROM and TO versions?[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure it did not. It might have at the outset of the process, but I'm almost certain it did not at the end.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
Last year, the version may have been Uconnect 17.11.07 , 2017 11th month 7th day ?

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
The members of the website www jeepgarage org usually know what is going on with software updates for the radios

from that site ...

Re: Uconnect OTA update Sept 2018
Got mine last night.
So far it has added a replay feature to Sirius, and changed the screen colors again.
Not really looked into it to much yet.

another post

https://www.driveuconnect.com/suppor...re-update.html

If you're able to grab it and download could you share it out. My VIN says no update needed but I'm running an older code.

another post

One thing I have noticed after the update is that the audio (radio or SiriusXM) no longer lowers when the voice guidance announces an upcoming turn, etc.

other posts

Another thing to remember about updates is to give it several on/off cycles to sort itself out. That usually cures most issues people have with updates. I would give it at least 3 or 4 drive cycles over a couple days before I make any calls

How do you get to the screen that shows your current software version?

hold down driver's side temp hot and cold and front defrost buttons simultaneously until the dealer menu comes up, then it's pretty easy to find from there.

One change I found, instead of the climate going in the following order: "face" vents/"floor" vents/ "floor" + "face" vents/ "floor" "defrost" is that it now goes "face"/"floor+face"/"floor"/"Floor + defrost"

There is difference between the 2017 & 2018 8.4 Panasonic radios

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Mine updated by itself last night, even when i set the time for it to update at a later time, it totally ignored my preset time to update...WTF....??? So, after the update, screen was messed up badly. Almost like it was fading out, and it was stuck like that all night. Also had ghosting image behind the main screen of the update screen showing thru the main screen. I`m always gunshy with all this updating crap... i wish there was a way to turn it all off and locked it shut so nobody can do anything to my truck, UNLESS, i want them to. This morning i get in the truck to go to work, now the screen seems ok again. I wish they would tell us what is getting updated and what to expect. But i guess thats to much to ask. In the past, i`ve had almost EVERY update screw up my vehicles. I just cringe everytime they want to update something. I always tell the dealers to NEVER update my truck when its in for service work that i cant do myself at home. Pretty much the only thing i dont do, is change out my worn out tires, because i hate tire work. I pretty much handle all the rest of the work myself... engine work, transmission work, drivetrain work. And most electrical as well.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
The members of the website www jeepgarage org usually know what is going on with software updates for the radios

from that site ...

Got mine last night.
So far it has added a replay feature to Sirius, and changed the screen colors again.
Not really looked into it to much yet.

another post

https://www.driveuconnect.com/suppor...re-update.html

If you're able to grab it and download could you share it out. My VIN says no update needed but I'm running an older code.

another post

One thing I have noticed after the update is that the audio (radio or SiriusXM) no longer lowers when the voice guidance announces an upcoming turn, etc.

other posts

Another thing to remember about updates is to give it several on/off cycles to sort itself out. That usually cures most issues people have with updates. I would give it at least 3 or 4 drive cycles over a couple days before I make any calls

How do you get to the screen that shows your current software version?

One change I found, instead of the climate going in the following order: "face" vents/"floor" vents/ "floor" + "face" vents/ "floor" "defrost" is that it now goes "face"/"floor+face"/"floor"/"Floor + defrost"

There is difference between the 2017 & 2018 8.4 Panasonic radios
Reply feature...??? To do what (???) Not sure i understand what you mean. I dont believe i saw that feature on mine. (i have the 8.4NAV)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I called the toll free UConnect support number and was told I was running software version 17.43. Yeah, well, that's probably the version that came with my truck, not the one that was downloaded yesterday. The technician (er, the person reading the troubleshooting flowchart scripts) didn't seem to know much.

I did notice that there seems to be a different display theme (or two.)

I did have the burn in of the Software Update Downloading message in the background of my screen immediately after the download but it faded away after about 10 minutes.

I haven't checked to see if the audio quality has changed yet. Better not have changed as I just replaced dash speakers, front door speakers and added a subwoofer. System was sounding sweet.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Have you went into the engineering screens like we suggested and see what info is there?

DEFROST and driver up and down temp controls all at the same time.

I called the toll free UConnect support number and was told I was running software version 17.43. Yeah, well, that's probably the version that came with my truck, not the one that was downloaded yesterday. The technician (er, the person reading the troubleshooting flowchart scripts) didn't seem to know much.

I did notice that there seems to be a different display theme (or two.)

I did have the burn in of the Software Update Downloading message in the background of my screen immediately after the download but it faded away after about 10 minutes.

I haven't checked to see if the audio quality has changed yet. Better not have changed as I just replaced dash speakers, front door speakers and added a subwoofer. System was sounding sweet.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Mine did it automatically too. I want to know the details of it, because the sound SUCKS now. The lows are so overpowering that I have the bass on -3, the mids just sound awful, and there’s not enough treble. It sounds all boomy and muffled now, with bad clarity.

The menu titles are all in bold now, and a few things look slightly different, which is fine, but I want my sound back like it was.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you went into the engineering screens like we suggested and see what info is there?

DEFROST and driver up and down temp controls all at the same time.
Yes, I just did it. The key should be in the Accessory position, the truck should not be running.

System Information > Radio Part Information

Software version: 18.20.2e
EQ version: 3.4

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I'm sorry to report that the latest software update TOTALLY HOSES the tone settings and sound clarity of the stereo. It overly emphasizes the bass, decreases the treble. Bass sounds muddy and muffled. It SUCKS!!!!

I have the stock 6 speaker system that I modified with Polk dash speakers with 4 ohm resistors inline, Pioneer 6"X9" front door speakers, and a powered 8" subwoofer box. It sounded great! I could turn the volume up to 30 and not get distortion. Sounded clearer, more full-bodied, and deeper, cleaner bass than the Alpine 9 speaker system I had in my 2015.

To see the changes made by the update here are my equalizer settings before and after the update:

Before
Bass: +2
Mid +1
Treble 0

After
Bass -4
Mid +1
Treble +4

It's completely changed the sound of the stereo. It's muddy and lifeless.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I'm sorry to report that the latest software update TOTALLY HOSES the tone settings and sound clarity of the stereo. It overly emphasizes the bass, decreases the treble. Bass sounds muddy and muffled. It SUCKS!!!!

I have the stock 6 speaker system that I modified with Polk dash speakers with 4 ohm resistors inline, Pioneer 6"X9" front door speakers, and a powered 8" subwoofer box. It sounded great! I could turn the volume up to 30 and not get distortion. Sounded clearer, more full-bodied, and deeper, cleaner bass than the Alpine 9 speaker system I had in my 2015.

To see the changes made by the update here are my equalizer settings before and after the update:

Before
Bass: +2
Mid +1
Treble 0

After
Bass -4
Mid +1
Treble +4

It's completely changed the sound of the stereo. It's muddy and lifeless.

Exactly as previously reported. It sucks.

Mine did it automatically too. I want to know the details of it, because the sound SUCKS now. The lows are so overpowering that I have the bass on -3, the mids just sound awful, and there’s not enough treble. It sounds all boomy and muffled now, with bad clarity.

The menu titles are all in bold now, and a few things look slightly different, which is fine, but I want my sound back like it was.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Arrghh! It's terrible!

I'd be interested if someone that hasn't received the software update could enter the dealer service menu and report what EQ version you are running. (I believe EQ means the equalizer)

To enter the dealer service menu you put the key in the accessory position, truck is not running, and simultaneously hold down the driver temperature control UP and DOWN buttons as well as the Front Defrost button.

Then you tap on System Information > Radio Part Information
and scroll down to EQ. Might as well write down your software version as long as you are getting the EQ version.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I wonder if enough people complain, if they’ll update it again? I can’t see how anyone would think it sounds good when the music sounds like it’s in a coffee can.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wonder if enough people complain, if they’ll update it again? I can’t see how anyone would thing it sounds good when the music sounds like it’s in a coffee can.
In a coffee can filled with foam rubber and covered with a thick blanket!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I wonder if enough people complain, if they’ll update it again? I can’t see how anyone would think it sounds good when the music sounds like it’s in a coffee can.
I called UConnect Support and complained.

1-877-855-8400

I think I'm going to go to the dealer and see if I can have them roll back to the previous UConnect software.

I'd try to do it myself if I could:
1. Find out which previous version I was running.
2. Find it online and load it onto a USB stick then upload to my truck.
3. It didn't screw everything up and void my warranty.
4. I could prevent future updates from happening.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, the update screws with the stereo so badly I'm willing to mess around with my system's software myself to get it back to where it was before.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I called UConnect Support and complained.

1-877-855-8400

I think I'm going to go to the dealer and see if I can have them roll back to the previous UConnect software.

I'd try to do it myself if I could:
1. Find out which previous version I was running.
2. Find it online and load it onto a USB stick then upload to my truck.
3. It didn't screw everything up and void my warranty.
4. I could prevent future updates from happening.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, the update screws with the stereo so badly I'm willing to mess around with my system to get it back to where it was before.
I’m going to call too, because I agree, it’s THAT bad. Thanks for the number.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Called the dealer and they told me they can't roll back to a previous software version. Told me the software version is pushed by Sirius XM Guardian and they can't control it.

I also mentioned the problem with the UConnect voice being overly loud when breaking in with notifications and wondered if there was anything that could be done about that.

The service writer suggested resetting the radio as a last resort maneuver. Going to the dealer this afternoon. Am also getting the cruise control recall as long as I'm there.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i received the notifications an hour ago. its actually giving you a choices to update or not now. i decided to update and here's what im seeing noticeably fast.

uconnect, tried lock and unlock via androip app and its so fast! another one is the Send 'N Go. much more faster than this new update.

the ghosting, it will go away, its just its not instant.

EDIT*** i called uconnect and the lady told me that the software will get all settled within 24hrs. reason why i called is because its saying after the update was i dont have subscription lol. she checked and everything is good. lets just wait folks

1 - 20 of 64 Posts