DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This information was originally started & gathered in a Cummins forum thread. It has 1700+ posts with info changing half way thru and much confusion. I created an updated thread to consolidate information and help as many as possible. Special thanks goes to Indytruckchampion(CF member) for creating that thread with the process and to articsilber323 for figuring out that the Autel Maxisys can do this since FCA removed the ability from the dealers. PLEASE read the common questions below before asking questions.

General info:
To fully adjust the TPMS you need to change the threshold psi settings and update the RFH (Radio frequency hub).

Factory pressure settings are 60(Hemi) or 65(Cummins) front & 80 rear with a 20% threshold which means that the warnings (light, sounds & nag screen) will come on at 48(H) or 52(C) front & 64 rear. If that happens then you will have to air the tires to 60(H) or 65(C) front and/or 80 rear to make the warnings go away.

The PIN – You must have your PIN to fully adjust the TPMS system. There are 2 PIN numbers associated with your key and truck. Technically, there's a 3rd one too that's a rolling code (unknown digits) that expires. It is only used if you lose all your keys and it requires a call to Lord FCA to get. I believe this is where some dealers get confused and try to tell you that the 4-digit PIN will expire. I've not heard of anyone saying that theirs expired when they tried to use it. A few members have been charged a fee to get the code. This ridiculous and I’d find another dealer, but I realize some don't have that choice.
PIN #1: 4-digit code (all numbers) that is used to program the key (fobik) to the truck. This is the one you need for this process.
PIN #2: 5-digit code with a letter in front (ex. M0000) that is used to cut a new metal key.

It’s a good idea to get both codes as soon as you possibly can. Recently, some dealers have refused to give them out.

Devices:
Autel MaxiSys -- will adjust the psi settings and update the RFH (Radio frequency hub)
Launch X431 -- very similar to the Autel MaxiSys with possible same functionality (unverified)
Matco Maxgo & Maxme -- supposed to be able to adjust the psi settings & update the RFH (Maximus should also)
AutoEnginuity software -- will only adjust the threshold psi settings (also custom tire sizes & enable fogs w/highs)
Witech (dealer) -- will only update the RFH, IF you can find a dealer that's willing do it
AEV ProCal -- only sold with their lift kits; will only adjust the psi settings (tire sizes & other settings)
Snap-on – no one has found that any of their devices can do this

Common questions:
Q: Can the dealer do this?
A: They cannot change the threshold psi settings but they should have the ability to update the RFH. Whether they will or not is questionable.

Q: Is there someone near me that can do this?
A: ***HERE*** is a map that I created showing all known members that have a device. If there'e no one close enough to you, send me a PM for additional options.

Q: Will this ‘change’ get removed if I get a flash update from the dealer or if I install a tune.
A: No

Q: Will this ‘change’ void my warranty.
A: First they have to prove that it caused a problem. Next how they gonna 'see' it since the Witech can't get to the settings? BUT anything's possible.

Q: What model of Autel MaxiSys can do this?
A: The common model is MS906 but any MaxiSys model should have this ability excluding Dodge software version 7.5.1. The MaxiDAS cannot do this process and I doubt any MaxiTPMS will either.

Q: Can the Autel MaxiSys make other adjustments like larger tires or enable fogs w/highs?
A: It’s a very powerful diagnostic device but it can only adjustment to other factory tire sizes and cannot enable fogs w/highs.

Q: Where can I find the instructions do make the adjustments?
A: CF member articsilber323 provided them in post #912 in the original thread. Some of the screens have changed slightly with the newer software versions but the process is generally the same.

Reactions: crusher

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good info, Thanks. One question, why would that need to be changed?
Ride quality and psi ratings of larger tires. Most find out the hard way that running the OEM pressures is excessive causes premature tire wear. Running 65 psi in the fronts might be ok but running 50 psi is much nicer. 80 psi in the rears is brutal when empty and with far less weight in the back you could easily run 5-10 less psi than the front ... again when empty. For people like myself that run larger tires with the same or higher weight rating but lower psi rating, our only other choice would be to live with all the warnings. No thanks! Personally, I run 45 in the front and 40 in the rear. Below is a link that another member posted showing thermal images of his tires with 45psi front, 40psi rear. They show equal wear from the heat signatures and the last picture is an under inflated tire.

Thermal images

I hope that answers your question.

·
Registered
112 Posts
im very interested in lowering the psi threshold on my '17 . can any dealer give me the pin#1 or does it have to be the dealer that sold the truck ? is it better to speak with the sales or service dept about obtaining this pin ? i wonder if ramchat could give out the pin ?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
im very interested in lowering the psi threshold on my '17 . can any dealer give me the pin#1 or does it have to be the dealer that sold the truck ? is it better to speak with the sales or service dept about obtaining this pin ? i wonder if ramchat could give out the pin ?
Any dealer can give you the PIN codes. Most require you to show your ID and proof ownership ... an insurance card or registration usually works. The PIN codes are only available from the Parts dept. and i don't think ram chat will provide it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a simple hack
fool the truck in to sensing a home made device as the TPMS

http://www.instructables.com/id/Tire-Pressure-Sensor-Bypass/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRMoaVh8qsc
Yep there's a few ways to disable/trick/hack the system but I'd prefer one that works. When I'm pulling my $65k 5th wheel with my $65k truck, I'll easily spend $100 to keep the TPMS system working so I know if I'm getting a flat tire. Same reason I spent the money to get a TPMS system for my trailer.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd like to reset my TPMS sensor limits but I dont see anyone anywhere close to Minneapolis, MN with a device. What other options do I have?
I'm currently in Hayward, WI until this coming Sunday morning but that might be further than you want to drive. If so, send me a PM and shoot me an email to [email protected] for another option.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Earlier this summer I found a local shop with an Autel and was willing to follow the steps to adjust the TPMS. Changing the threshold to 45PSI worked fine. The next step, updating the RFH failed. When attempting that step it prompted for the PIN but it didn't like the PIN number we entered. Tried a 2nd time and same result. So I thanked them for their time and went on my way. I figure the parts guy at my dealer mistyped my VIN when looking up the PIN and would talk with them again next time I was by there. My tires pressures were 50 psi in all 4 tires and the low pressure light was on, as it had been.

Later that afternoon I got in the truck and the low tire pressure light didn't display, nor did it go to the tire pressure display. I changed to that screen and it didn't highlight any low tires. My tires pressures were 50 psi in all 4 tires. It has been a couple of months now and it was been working as I hoped it would.

From what I've read, both of these steps need to be performed. Any ideas why mine would work without the 2nd step?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Earlier this summer I found a local shop with an Autel and was willing to follow the steps to adjust the TPMS. Changing the threshold to 45PSI worked fine. The next step, updating the RFH failed. When attempting that step it prompted for the PIN but it didn't like the PIN number we entered. Tried a 2nd time and same result. So I thanked them for their time and went on my way. I figure the parts guy at my dealer mistyped my VIN when looking up the PIN and would talk with them again next time I was by there. My tires pressures were 50 psi in all 4 tires and the low pressure light was on, as it had been.

Later that afternoon I got in the truck and the low tire pressure light didn't display, nor did it go to the tire pressure display. I changed to that screen and it didn't highlight any low tires. My tires pressures were 50 psi in all 4 tires. It has been a couple of months now and it was been working as I hoped it would.

From what I've read, both of these steps need to be performed. Any ideas why mine would work without the 2nd step?
First, there are several "bad" versions of the Dodge software for the Autel. IMO, the QA/QC department at Autel simply doesn't exist as they seem to constantly screw something up. As for your question, I'm purely guessing, but it sounds like the RFH update actually worked even though the Autel said that it failed. Both steps are required so it's the only answer that makes sense. If you want to check that it's working properly, down the pressure to 35 in all 4 tires. You should get warnings all the way around and the EVIC should say air up to 45. You'll have to air them up to 45 for the warnings/light to go away.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That makes sense, that it took the reset even though the Autel screen showed it didn't like the PIN. I can't say which version of software it was running, but the menu system was a bit different from what I expected after reading the instructions posted at the beginning of this thread.

Lowering the pressure until it trips the warning light is something I have not done yet. I have thought about it, just haven't gotten around to it. I have been running 55 front / 50 rear most of the time, and airing up to 75 or 80 when I take my travel trailer out. I am very happy to not have the warning light now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was on the Cummins Forumz and saw a posting about reprogramming for lower tire pressure as well as for size. Someone there found this programmer from AEV. I just ordered it and will post and let you know how it works. This is the link if anyone would like to check it out. I figured I would pass it along seeing how long its taken me to find anything besides the dealer who doesn't seem to want to help. I hope this helps others out here

https://secure.aev-conversions.com/shop/vehicle/ram/ram-procal-module

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was on the Cummins Forumz and saw a posting about reprogramming for lower tire pressure as well as for size. Someone there found this programmer from AEV. I just ordered it and will post and let you know how it works. This is the link if anyone would like to check it out. I figured I would pass it along seeing how long its taken me to find anything besides the dealer who doesn't seem to want to help. I hope this helps others out here

https://secure.aev-conversions.com/shop/vehicle/ram/ram-procal-module
This is an option but check out the * at the bottom of the page. The Procal will do step 1 of a 2-step process and you still have to go the dealer for step 2. IF you can find a dealer willing to adjust the RFH, you're going to pay their fee too which is typically an hour of labor ~$130.

I have devices that will make all all those adjustments for a fraction of the price. Shoot me a PM for details.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts