DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2010 5.7L RAM makes a howl sound when travelling 90-105km/h. I have a MOPAR CAI installed but it never howled before. I thought maybe the shitty stock Good-Years were causing it but it only seems to do it when I press on the accelerator, If i coast at that speed its quiet. What do ya think?:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
i had a howl...mine was the rear end. replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
Primo has it, generally a howl under acceleration is the pinion riding up the crown. Get it to the dealer and get it looked at.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Mine howels terrible and getting worse, dealer told me to wait until it blows.(thats just lame if you ask me, how about fixing it so it dosent leave me friggin stranded...!!!!) He told me if he tried to fix it, it would likely end up howeling worse. That told me one thing right then an there...., these dealers dont have anyone anymore that can set up a differential correctly. So i told the so called tech, "if you cant 100% fix it right now, why would i want you to even touch it later" I am soooooo frustrated with these dealerships that you dont even know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took it to the dealer today. It is the rear diff. There replacing it under warranty in a couple days, they had to order parts. Thanks for the advice guys.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry about the delay. Yes it does sound like your howl in your vid Oregon. Well looooong story short. Dealership first said it was the rear diff and that they were going to rebuild it with a new bearing kit. They had it for 2 days, as soon as I took it on the hwy right after picking it up guess what? Still howls, even worse now.... So I went back and gave them a piece of my mind. They looked at it again and claimed it is the front diff now. Said the bearing seals are shot and that they are gunna rebuild the front now. Supposed to get her back today so I guess I'll wait and see how their grasping at straws technique worked... Sad really. Chrysler Canada is going to be getting an email from me detailing how this dealership has treated me an inconvenienced me, horrible customer service. Nobody takes pride in anything anymore, what a sad world.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sorry about the delay. Yes it does sound like your howl in your vid Oregon. Well looooong story short. Dealership first said it was the rear diff and that they were going to rebuild it with a new bearing kit. They had it for 2 days, as soon as I took it on the hwy right after picking it up guess what? Still howls, even worse now.... So I went back and gave them a piece of my mind. They looked at it again and claimed it is the front diff now. Said the bearing seals are shot and that they are gunna rebuild the front now. Supposed to get her back today so I guess I'll wait and see how their grasping at straws technique worked... Sad really. Chrysler Canada is going to be getting an email from me detailing how this dealership has treated me an inconvenienced me, horrible customer service. Nobody takes pride in anything anymore, what a sad world.
This is why I am afraid to take mine in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe take it to a known tranny shop, I thought about this. But it would not be covered under warranty would it?

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Maybe take it to a known tranny shop, I thought about this. But it would not be covered under warranty would it?
probably wouldn't be covered, but if you ask them for a written estimate that you can take the the dealership, you'll at least be entering knowledgeable and with the facts available.

good luck

Exco

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally got her back today. They said it wasnt in the front diff and said it was in the rear. What they ended up doing was installing a new ring and pinion gear set. No more howl, too bad I had to go through all that BS to get it. I will not be returning to that individual dealership(Islington Chrysler, Ontario, Canada) ever again :fca5278d:!!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Remember to break-in the new gears for the first 500 miles. eg. no towing, no constant speed driving, no hard WOT.
Also some late models 2010's (2011 TSB) came from the factory with low fill diff. gear fluid so that could have caused this issue.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I need to show this to my dealer. I have this very same howling sound from mine, i took their tech for a ride with me and he said it was just normal gear whine... But it sounds exacly as you're describing and just like the video posted... So it's making me a bit worried

·
Registered
310 Posts
My 2010 5.7L RAM makes a howl sound when travelling 90-105km/h. I have a MOPAR CAI installed but it never howled before. I thought maybe the shitty stock Good-Years were causing it but it only seems to do it when I press on the accelerator, If i coast at that speed its quiet. What do ya think?:4-dontknow:
I have a 2010 RAM 5.7L with the MOPAR CAI on it as well. It makes a low rumble/howl type of sound when I give it gas. It sounds more throatier than before. It seems to want to suck the hood into the CAI,lol. If you are not sure take it to the dealer and have it looked at. The only thing I could tell you.:smileup:
Sorry, that will teach me not to read all posts first, good deal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts