DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i keep hearing a howling or moaning from the rear of my truck but only seem to hear it when i let of the gas if i give it a little gas it goes away. its been getting louder over time. im not sure what it is a friend said he thought the u-joints could be dryed out? does anyone have any ideas on what this could be?

·
Registered
116 Posts
U joints are a possibility.

Also, ring and pinion, brakes, axle bearings, tire wear problems, drive shaft, transmission!

Too many variables...you need to take it in to someone with a set of chassis ears (not sure what the trade name is, remote set of ears basically) and dig a little deeper. Could be simple to find, could also be a real headache!

My '99 Ram made a groaning noise and it turned out to be a rear axle bearing. Made the same noise going 20MPH or 60MPH though, didn't change.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
295 Posts
i had the same problem , also my truck would shake "binding" when i took a left or right turn from a stop . along with the howling . the rearend in my truck ended up siezing up and was replaced with a rebuild jasper rearend of same gearing . i no longer have the binding at turns and no howling either. i just have this annoying slight vibration between 45 to 70 mph.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i keep hearing a howling or moaning from the rear of my truck but only seem to hear it when i let of the gas if i give it a little gas it goes away. its been getting louder over time. im not sure what it is a friend said he thought the u-joints could be dryed out? does anyone have any ideas on what this could be?
Have you checked the fluid level in the rear end? I doubt if its the driveshaft. Sounds more like the ring and pinion lash. You definitely need to pull the rear cover off and take a look. Have your ever changed the fluid? Does it wheel hop turning corners? Is it a Trac-Lok(posi) of limited slip?

·
Registered
41 Posts
A buddy of mine had a minor howling noise coming from the rear of his 03 2500 4x4 and come to find out it was the rear end. He was lucky enough to get it replaced under warranty at the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts