DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I have spacers on my ruck and always have vibration so I think I need some hub centric rings but I don't know where or what to get any I to would help also any ideas what size thanks

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
From what I understand hubcentric rings do not help very much if at all. This is especially true if the center bore hole of the vehicle and wheel (or maybe vehicle, spacer, and wheel in your case) are greatly mismatched.

I had a nasty shake with my aftermarket wheels and aftermarket tires. I had them balanced about half a dozen times all times it was bad, some times worse than others. There are a few possibilities for the cause:

1) Tires are badly out of balance.
2) Wheels are badly out of balance.
3) The center bore of the wheel is not truly centered so when they balance the wheel/tire with the cone adapter using the center bore, they balance it based of of a point that is not the true center. I then put them on the truck using the lug nuts to center the wheel and the point that is now truly the center of the combination is not the same "center" that they balanced it by. This would obviously cause vibration.

That's basically it. What did I do....I decided to have them road force balanced, which costs a little extra. It is not perfect, but it is livable. I understand that some shops have the road force balancers, and I understand most toyota dealerships have road force balancers.

Most vehicles are "hubcentric" where the center bore of the wheel lines up snug with the bore of the spindle/axle, making it center perfectly, then the lug nuts just hold it in place. With most aftermarket wheels (and probably spacers) the wheels are "lugcentric" meaning that they make the center bore in the wheel/spacer oversized so it fits universally on multiple vehicles. The lug nuts are what center the wheel when you tighten them down.

Also, tightening the lug nuts in a crisscross pattern in multiple stages will help center the wheels better. I also did this and it seemed to help compared to when they put them on with the impact guns.

I hope this helps at all, I know it's not really an answer but hopefully some useful info.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Oh I should mention that there is a special adapter for the balancers that can be used on lugcentric wheels, I think it's called a "helwika" adapter or something kind of like that. It should be used, not the cone adapter that most shops use. Problem is most places don't have them. I hear toyota dealers have them. I think this would fix my issue, but I've spent so much money on balancing that I don't want to waste any more since it's now livable. When I get new tires though I'm making sure to have this done if I stick with the aftermarket wheels...

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
What type of wheels/tires are you running on your truck that require the use of a spacer? The 02-05 trucks have the most room for wider tires compared to the 06-08 3rd gens and the 4th gens.

This company is one that I have found that seems to make a top-quality product.

http://www.motorsport-tech.com/

I haven't purchased anything from them but I have read good reviews and their products look amazing. They even do custom pieces...pretty much anything you want. They have hub rings, spacers, adapters, pretty much anything. Their prices seem reasonable, especially for listed parts. Of course, when you get into custom stuff it gets a little expensive. As an idea, I priced a set of custom made 1/4" hub AND lug centric spacers on their website and the cost came to about $200. Yes, that's a lot more than the $30 universal spacers but if it allows you to safely and comfortably run your desired wheel/tire combo I think it's worth it.

·
Registered
199 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
The inside of the hub ring will need to match the hub bore on your truck (77.8mm) and the outside of the hub ring will have to match the wheel bore (probably in the 80mm + range). The hub ring will just fill the gap between the hub lip(center bore) and the wheel opening. Manufactures make aftermarket wheels with large wheel bores so that they will fit a large array of vehicles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts