DODGE RAM FORUM banner

hurricane katrina under the hood????

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  ike43 
#1 ·
For some reason, there is a lot of air being sucked up by my truck. Not sure if its cause its cold or what, but it will continue to do it even after warm up period and city driving, although when i take it on the hiway it will loosen up and run normal and quieter. not sure why there is a difference because i warmed it up for 20 minutes yesterday and drove it for 30 minutes at roughly 30mph and it continued to run really loud. later in the day after work, i took it on the hiway and within 5 miles it was running normal. i've taken it to the dealer twice and they keep saying nothing is wrong, but its really loud and aggrivating cause im mostly city driving. i bought this 2010 ram 5.7 laramie used and its been doing it since i've had it, so i dont know they are suppose to do this or what. anybody know anything?

#4 ·
its your viscous fan clutch, if equipped, my 06 does it also more so when th temp gets lower, the silcone inside will lock up the fan when cold, the best way to fix is to install flexalite 183 electric fan kit designed for ram 5.7, might be different # for 2010

#6 · (Edited)
ive discovered that its the same as Hayate says, if rev up to 3500 rpm it instantly stops sucking the air and running normally. is it suppose to be doing this or does something need to be fixed? i see that ike43 says putting an electric fan on there will solve it, but i dont wanna buy different parts, i want it to run properly in the factory set up, and if something is wrong i want the dealer to fix it under warranty, but they keep telling me nothing is wrong because every time i take it to them, they "cant reproduce the problem." i checked the fan, it seems to be fine. plenty of tension when cold and not running, no loose play back and forth. i started the truck, it was spinning fine. let the truck warm and then revved it to 3500 rpm, the extra air flow noise went away, and fan seemed to be spinning just the same.

#7 ·
i installed the flexalite fan in my truck last month, what a huge difference, no hurricane anymore, very noticable increase in hp and fuel econ. this must be by far the best mod for best gain. easy to install took a few hours to do just because i took my time when routing all the wires and making it look professional. i also asked the dealer before about the fan clucth and they basically ignored me and also said there was nothing wrong and that the parts dept never sold a viscous fan clutch for this eng , ??, im a lic mech and we change them quite often on our fleet! they should only lock up when eng is hot or when its -20c outside and only for a few sec for the silicone fluid to flow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.