DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/s...t-chrysler?src=socialflowFBCAD&mag=cdb&dom=fb

according to this article, we might see a Hyundai Hokaido 1500???

That Marchionne tries to merge with GM desperately, how it looks, is not a secret- he openly sent and e-mail to GM.
I never had a good feeling with Fiat and the more I read, the more it seems, my gut was right.

We will see- I just know, it will not be FCA forever.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Oh Jeeez....this again

:i_rolleyes::i_rolleyes::i_rolleyes::i_rolleyes::i_rolleyes::i_rolleyes::i_rolleyes::i_rolleyes::i_rolleyes:

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4
801 Posts
Bummer that FCA may sell out but Hyundai is a very good company

·
Registered
455 Posts
Since I have no stake in the company, I couldn't care less who owns them as long as they make a quality product. Hyundai is an excellent company that makes very good products. Being a South Korean company, they are also a good ally of the USA. I would definitely buy a Ram-1500 from Hyundai.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I think its mostly speculation at this point. I have heard all kinds of things, one of which being that Hyundai is planning to buy Magneti Marelli-perhaps that has been misconstrued into "Hyundai is buying FCA."

I don't think Hyundais are bad, I'd buy one of their cars before a Toyota, and in Korea they are one of the huge oligopolies that builds all kinds of heavy equipment, vehicles, you name it.

Ironically, my brother traded his Jetta for a Sonata today

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,245 Posts
I think its mostly speculation at this point. I have heard all kinds of things, one of which being that Hyundai is planning to buy Magneti Marelli-perhaps that has been misconstrued into "Hyundai is buying FCA."

I don't think Hyundais are bad, I'd buy one of their cars before a Toyota, and in Korea they are one of the huge oligopolies that builds all kinds of heavy equipment, vehicles, you name it.

Ironically, my brother traded his Jetta for a Sonata today
Hyundai does make good cars and even SUV's. Few of my family members have Hyundai's and they're all very happy with them.

I wish a Sonata was a choice for my company car selections. Still waiting for that damn Passat to be released! :doh:

But a Hyundai/Ram? Hmm, not sure how I feel about that. Probably would be a non-issue for me. Not that I'm in the market anytime soon anyway.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
FCA has a good foothold in a couple markets that Hyundai would like to break into but has yet to be able to so far. Part of this is because the US auto market has significant barriers to entry so the way they got around it was to sell cheap econoboxes with a good warranty. Because their industrial base in Asia is so large they could subsidize themselves while building dealer networks until they became profitable; the adverse effect of this was that people's perception of the brand is just that-that they're cheap and not particularly reliable or durable.

FCA has over 20% of the truck market, the Jeep brand which still has vehicles that have yet to be challenged in their niche by a viable substitute from a competitor, and a handle on the muscle/performance car market.

Hyundai plans on releasing a light truck but from what I've seen the anticipation is lukewarm at best. The truck market is rife with brand loyalty and buyers who are set in their ways, even Toyota can barely manage 5% market share and they're consistently the #1 or 2 automaker in the world. Hyundai doesn't have the fanbase Toyota has, who believe anything with the little hoop globe logo on the front is reliable just because Toyota made it, so they'll have a very difficult time breaking into that market. Same with larger SUVs, they had the V8 powered Borrego for 2 years IIRC back in 2008-2009, but it was short lived.

On the muscle car side (well pony car anyway), Hyundai had the Genesis coupe which was impressive in performance, but had uninspired styling and no real history or lineage behind it like the Mustang or Camaro. Now they have the Stinger GT, which has the aforementioned problem, and has similar output to the less expensive Charger RT and similar performance to the similarly priced Scat Pack. The Charger really doesn't have any competition as a full size RWD performance sedan now that the Chevy SS has been killed off.

So I see people saying they just want Jeep and Ram, but I think they'd keep Dodge too, and they could reinvent their Genesis (luxury) line as Chrysler and be better received here depending on how far they'd be willing to go with it. Objectively it is the Italian brands that are the dead weight at FCA-look at Fiat or Alfa or Maserati's sales numbers (as I stare out the window at my neighbor's Ghibli), so in a business sense it makes more sense to drop them instead-or use them to push sports luxury cars. Maserati seems to be going electric which would allow it to co-exist with Alfa since they are so similar. Another note about Chrysler, they are still the only American brand to successfully make minivans so it would make more sense for Hyundai to drop the Sedona than the Pacifica.

So, my prediction for how this would go for each brand is:
-Ram: little to no change, they let Americans run it because we understand the North American truck market

-Jeep: little to no change, few changes in plans or leadership as they are successful as is. Probably replace the 4 cylinder lineup as the only ones Chrysler ever had that were very good were in the Neon and PT cruiser.
-Chrysler: becomes the new marque for the luxury car lineup and the Genesis name goes away as it sounds uninspired and has much less history and recognition.
-Dodge: Probably get some new trimmed down chassis to compete with the pony cars from Ford and Chevy, but continue on building cars of that type. Affordable and with an emphasis on power coming from displacement rather than boost over fancy interiors.
-Fiat: makes cars that compete with Hyundai and Kia's bread and butter models, and Fiat doesn't to it that well so Fiat goes away and Hyundai uses the infrastructure to expand in Europe.
-Alfa Romeo: Better name recognition for sports luxury models than anything Hyundai has and would compete with BMW M and Cadillac V models as they do now.
-Maserati: Really does the same thing Alfa does right now, so I think the plan to make them the electro-luxury sport brand a-la Tesla would go forward.
-Lancia: same thing they're doing now, which is nothing.

One thing I do like about Hyundai is that unlike other foreign brands they actually make a V8 once in a while. Now if this merger happens they'll just need to make them in an overhead valve flavor.

But then again, there's also this:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/hyundai-claims-fca-buyout-rumor-totally-groundless/

which I alluded to in my first post

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, that's what they always say- "Groundless". I do believe, rumors have always some truth in them. And if Hyundai can get the chance to outnumber all others with the potential to come, they will. Lot of "westerners" have no Idea about Hyundai- as you said, Thunder, they're big into heavy machinery and sure know, how to build trucks.
The only problem I have with Asian vehicles in general is the time- sensitive design, which looks awesome, when they come out with it and you get tired to look at it real quick, that the super duper design from last year looks this year already ancient and from another decade.
Other than that- I never had the feeling, Hyundai are cheapos.
But what I'm really thankful for is the fact, that FCA already shut down Volkswagen. If that would had happened, we would already see one of those standard 4-cylinder diesels in the Chargers and Challengers. A horrible vision.
VW really never understood the US market and that's the reason, why they might sell some vehicles here- bless them for having at least a plant here in the US- but they will never make the big break through.
In Europe, their secret always was: look what others do, wait, if they're successful and if, make it "better" (where the "better" means simply, that you can stick a VW badge on almost everything and people will buy it).
This strategy does not work in the US due to brand and vehicle loyal customers, also to the fact, that VW, which surely has trucks too- even big transfer trucks (they own Scania and MAN), but due to the chicken tax, they can't import them. The only way would be, to produce them here in the US and because VW does everything a little more expensive than others, caused by the fact that the government has 49% of the shares, they would not have a stand here.
VW and FCA? I'd rather would like to see another merger with Daimler than have to go through this nightmare. VW would kill the V8's and replace them with little turbodiesels.

Let's wait and see- there ain't nothing we can do about it anyway. I'm still just hoping, FCA finds out, that their new RAM design is awful and go back to crosshair, get rid of the horrible groove in the hood and install the hemi- badge, where it belongs to.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Most ppl who buy Hyundai and Kia are almost never repeat buyers,they might have nice looking car's which is what attracts people but there reiabilty is still crap! You cannot compare a Korean car to an inferior Japanese car. Any company thats interested in FCA is only interested in the Jeep and Ram brand and nothing else. And anyone that say Sergio has hurt Chrysler is a fool, this guy brought 2 companies ( Chrysler and Fiat) back from the dead esp during bad economic times. If FCA sells to Hyundai,I will not buy another Ram,I'll go back to Toyota.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Any company thats interested in FCA is only interested in the Jeep and Ram brand and nothing else.
I disagree for the reasons I mentioned above. What is your reasoning?

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Most ppl who buy Hyundai and Kia are almost never repeat buyers,they might have nice looking car's which is what attracts people but there reiabilty is still crap! You cannot compare a Korean car to an inferior Japanese car. Any company thats interested in FCA is only interested in the Jeep and Ram brand and nothing else. And anyone that say Sergio has hurt Chrysler is a fool, this guy brought 2 companies ( Chrysler and Fiat) back from the dead esp during bad economic times. If FCA sells to Hyundai,I will not buy another Ram,I'll go back to Toyota.

This is your problem- you only see the American market. But there is more to it. Fiat knew, that they will be bankrupt, if they don't do something, because their own brands suffering due to bad design, bad quality and bad reputation (which is confirmed in almost every car they produce). Me- I'd rather ride a uber than buying a Fiat.

A merger (not a sale) of FCA with Hyundai would actually save the whole company for a long time. Unfortunately the Italian dominance would be broken and business would be decided in Korea. But in the desperate state, Fiat is, sooner or later they will have no choice. Either a merger or a sell out.
It stays suspense.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The part I don't like is the fact that Hyundai is waiting for FCA's stock to fall. I own it and I do see the problem. Our worthless President is perching this euro-zone owned car company on a cliff. An American icon is at stake. Trucks are made of steel. Europe is looking at the US as something like a turd in their wine. They have their people saying sell this American crap as fast as possible. We are stable and growing with FCA allowing us to grow. Companies can sell off in an instant. It took 130 years to grow an American branded car company. I just hope we are left with Dodge, Ram, Chrysler in the future. An Asian company can prostitute it out like Daimler Benz and the horrible Cerberus Capital. Then throw it to the side of the road. We will be Found On Roadside Dead too. Just an avenue to get Hyundai etc... into the super-profitable truck market and then renamed and discarded. Eat your Trump vote while you eat your import!

I'm sorry I digressed into politics, but we have a lot to lose to a crazy idea we can crap on our neighbors and still ask them to be nice to us. My love for American made products is what instills my passion.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I disagree for the reasons I mentioned above. What is your reasoning?
Let be honest here.Other then a few Jeep products and the Ram line up what else
does FCA have to offer? The Charger and Challenger? (which I do like BTW) Not everyone wants a large car on a rwd platform,an SUV or truck.

Hyundai is far from unreliable.
Im not going to even debate this, to each there own I guess. I will never own a Korean made car nor will people I know who have owned them in the past.

This is your problem- you only see the American market. But there is more to it. Fiat knew, that they will be bankrupt, if they don't do something, because their own brands suffering due to bad design, bad quality and bad reputation (which is confirmed in almost every car they produce). Me- I'd rather ride a uber than buying a Fiat.

A merger (not a sale) of FCA with Hyundai would actually save the whole company for a long time. Unfortunately the Italian dominance would be broken and business would be decided in Korea. But in the desperate state, Fiat is, sooner or later they will have no choice. Either a merger or a sell out.
It stays suspense.
Fiat aint going nowhere, maybe here in NA but not in Europe. The Fiat models we get in NA are garbage compared to what the rest of the world gets. I always said Fiat would not do well in NA, they didn't do well here in the 70's and early 80s and nothing has changed since nor will it ever. But I do believe the merger help save Chrysler.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Let be honest here.Other then a few Jeep products and the Ram line up what else
does FCA have to offer? The Charger and Challenger? (which I do like BTW) Not everyone wants a large car on a rwd platform,an SUV or truck.
What don't they have to offer? A compact? No not everybody wants a full size car, but for those who do there aren't really many other options-especially if you want a v8. There's the Durango thats a 3 row SUV without the bulk of a BOF and Chrysler has a substantial portion of the minivan market. The only real turds they have are the Journey and the Fiats

I'm sorry I digressed into politics, but we have a lot to lose to a crazy idea we can crap on our neighbors and still ask them to be nice to us. My love for American made products is what instills my passion.
What about the idea that a "free trade" deal that is free trade in name only is something we never should have signed onto to begin with?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts