DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered a Laramie with the big gas tank. I traded in a 2013 with the big gas tank. The gauge program was for the regular tank so when I was out of gas I still had 5 gal or so. This was discussed on may sites and is not a real problem but kind of goofy for world class mfg.. Last I heard Ram was supposed to have a soft ware patch to fix the gauge on older trucks. Well I ran the first tank through my new truck today and I ran it down to 41 miles left and the light on. I filled and my 33 gallon tank only took 28 gallons just like my 5 year old truck. I cant believe they haven't fixed that glitch in 5 years. Ram does some odd things here is another one. The instrument illumination adjustable setting is goofy. You can go into settings and there are two functions one for day and one for night. Brightness is 1-10 scale. You can only set the day one in daylight and the night one in the night time. I ran into a rain storm and my lights came on and I lost my instrument lights. I had to wait until real dark so that function would let me change it. Crazy.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I don't understand why still having 5 gallons is a problem, seems like a safety feature. I ran my tank down a few weeks ago to the point I wasn't getting distance remaining anymore, there were no stations in the area and that remaining fuel got me far enough to find a fueling station. If it hadn't had that extra cushion CAA would have been delivering fuel.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The larger the tank the more gas is needed to keep the fuel pump submerged in fuel so that is does not burn out. This is why people burn up their fuel pumps by running them too low on fuel.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ordered a Laramie with the big gas tank. I traded in a 2013 with the big gas tank. The gauge program was for the regular tank so when I was out of gas I still had 5 gal or so. This was discussed on may sites and is not a real problem but kind of goofy for world class mfg.. Last I heard Ram was supposed to have a soft ware patch to fix the gauge on older trucks. Well I ran the first tank through my new truck today and I ran it down to 41 miles left and the light on. I filled and my 33 gallon tank only took 28 gallons just like my 5 year old truck. I cant believe they haven't fixed that glitch in 5 years. Ram does some odd things here is another one. The instrument illumination adjustable setting is goofy. You can go into settings and there are two functions one for day and one for night. Brightness is 1-10 scale. You can only set the day one in daylight and the night one in the night time. I ran into a rain storm and my lights came on and I lost my instrument lights. I had to wait until real dark so that function would let me change it. Crazy.

My light came on with like 67 miles....I filled up with 28 gallons. Doesn't bother me one bit. As for the illumination, I haven't had this problem. I have my display brightness mode set to "Auto"......and then don't forget about the rotary buttons to the right of the headlight knob....one controls instrument panel brightness and one controls the interior ambient lighting. There has to be something you didn't do right..........I hit a bad rain storm also....my lights came on, instrument panel went dim....I reached over to the rotary button and turned it all the way "up" and the panel came back on. Also, you can change the setting in uconnect to "manual" instead of "auto" ..........I promise you, just play around with the buttons beside the headlight. I know exactly what you're talking about ....happened to me, everything went dim..........but I rolled that button up and "let there be light"

Now, if Laramie is different from my Longhorn with 12" screen.........then disregard the settings that I referenced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Almost all modern cars still have several gallons of fuel left when the empty light comes on and distance to empty is zero. This reserve is usually aimed to be good for 50-75 more miles (depending on mileage). OEMs don't want you accidentally causing issues with fuel pumps or engine by starving them of fuel, or you getting stranded because you were relying too much on distance to empty (which is just an estimate anyways) or not paying attention to the fuel gauge. This is a truck. RAM is worried about worse case scenarios (eg towing a heavy and bulky load against the wind in a slight upward grade) that kills your gas mileage so they give the large tank (which is often a popular option for people who tow) a large reserve (5 gallons at 10mpg is only 50 additional miles).

If, for whatever reason, it bothers you so much then continue driving past empty and you will be using some of that 5 extra gallons. Don't get upset if you are not careful and use it all and get stuck at the side of the road though. Ram warned you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As I stated in my original gas tank post "this is not a real problem" I'm not all upset, I was just amazed that they would not have fixed that when it is probably a simple software change 5 years ago. It's a lot like daylight savings time. If you enjoy being fooled that its an hour later than it really is - great. I personally like reality, just a personal choice, I can take responsibility for when I am out of gas. I got along fine in my old truck with big tank little gauge, so that is what it is, just thought Id let people know.

·
Registered
247 Posts
As I stated in my original gas tank post "this is not a real problem" I'm not all upset, I was just amazed that they would not have fixed that when it is probably a simple software change 5 years ago. It's a lot like daylight savings time. If you enjoy being fooled that its an hour later than it really is - great. I personally like reality, just a personal choice, I can take responsibility for when I am out of gas. I got along fine in my old truck with big tank little gauge, so that is what it is, just thought Id let people know.

I understand. What would you like to see fixed.....the gas light comes on when there is 1 gallon? 2 gallons? My GMC came on when I had like 4 gallons. I didn't really see anything that needed fixed. I knew I had 4 gallons to get off the interstate for gas or I knew I could make it home from work to my favorite gas station near my house.

I know we're just chatting and no one is upset .......I guess I'm trying to understand what was wrong with old Rams and what's wrong with current ones (this is my first) in regards to the gas light/gas capacity? All of my lights come on with gallons left....even in my car and my Harley.

·
Registered
248 Posts
As I stated in my original gas tank post "this is not a real problem" I'm not all upset, I was just amazed that they would not have fixed that when it is probably a simple software change 5 years ago. /QUOTE]

They didn't "fix" it cause it's not broken. They want it to come on with 5 gallons left and it comes on with 5 gallons left.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I'd rather have 5 gallons left than to run out. Aren't there more important things to complain about?

like someone previous said..... "If, for whatever reason, it bothers you so much then continue driving past empty and you will be using some of that 5 extra gallons. Don't get upset if you are not careful and use it all and get stuck at the side of the road though. Ram warned you."

·
Registered
998 Posts
People want it fixed, because some prefer the gauge to be right. That’s it. There’s always going to be a little error, but why would anyone be okay with the gauge being THAT far off?

And there has been a software update that has fixed the issue, because it is indeed an issue having a fuel gauge being so incorrect. My ‘18 is very accurate.

Here’s where I was at on my last refuel. A little less than 1/4 tank on the gauge.

Then you can see how much I put in

Then notice how high my range is.

And if you need an extra amount of fuel after the range and guage say it's empty, for "reserve," or in case you run it low and may run out, you're a moron for not buying gas when it gets low. People who know how to get gas when the tank starts getting low would prefer it to be correct. I'm sure glad mine is.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Most vehicles have 2 or 3 gallons remaining when the DTE and gauge go to zero. On the Gen 4 trucks, there was little to no gas left when it went to zero with the 26 gallon tank and 5 or 6 gallons with the bigger tank. They used the same gauge and programing for both so you got completely different behavior depending on which tank you had. Sounds like they have continued this with the Gen 5. I agree with the OP, it's not really a problem but a little weird.

Have they fixed the weird behavior of the average fuel consumption not averaging over the full distance driven until you reset it? That is really annoying on the Gen 4 to me and completely different than any other vehicle I've owned. Lots of people complained about it because it makes for huge differences between what the display is showing and what you manually calculate.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would actually prefer there be a few gallons left when it hits "E"...... My wife usually forgets to inform me that her car is empty until shes driven it well past "E" so that "reserve" helps me get it to the station to fill it up like she should have done 20-30 miles back!! :doh:

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I think there was a youtube video with a guy running a new f150 after 0 to empty and it went for another 50 miles
Who cares, fill the tank and no worries.
I got stuck once on the highway, winter time, big accident, locked down for like 4-5 hours at -25C. When I filled up, i was like a quart left in the tank; since then, i kinda never let it go under 1/3. Always be prepared. Plus, it cools the fuel pump :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
OP, I just went out and played with my settings. Turn your headlights on. Go into Uconnect and put it on “manual” and then adjust ur number (for “headlights on) to what u want. Make sure ur headlights are on so it allows u to adjust that number. I just set mine to 7 because 5 was too dark for me. Then I put it back to “auto” in uconnect cuz I prefer that. Now when my headlights come on, it illuminates to 7. If i want it darker, I can roll the button down that’s beside the headlight knob. I hope that makes sense. Adjust that number to the brightest setting u would want with headlights on —-then u can adjust it lower with the knob by the lights button if u want.

I’m assuming u have the same as my long horn with 12” display

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree that the same gauge for both tanks is strange. Presumably you bought the bigger tank so you could go longer between fill-ups, not have a larger emergency pool. It should still have a buffer, but it should be commensurate with the larger tank volume. Now that I know this, I'm glad I didn't get the bigger tank. I don't like to drive past the 1/4 mark and it seems like they're at the same number of gallons used so it would just have been a waste of money to get the larger tank.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I agree that the same gauge for both tanks is strange. Presumably you bought the bigger tank so you could go longer between fill-ups, not have a larger emergency pool. It should still have a buffer, but it should be commensurate with the larger tank volume. Now that I know this, I'm glad I didn't get the bigger tank. I don't like to drive past the 1/4 mark and it seems like they're at the same number of gallons used so it would just have been a waste of money to get the larger tank.
Exactly. The 26 gallon tank is fairly accurate, within reason. Would all the people with 26 gallon tanks want their guage to read empty at 20 gallons? That's 100 less miles till empty. If the 26 gallon tank can be fairly accurate, why should the people with 32 gallon tanks have to live with it being grossly inaccurate? A bigger tank should let you drive more miles between refuels. What good does it do if you have a 26 gallon tank, and a 32 gallon tank and they both read empty at 25-26 gallons? That makes the the 32 gallon tank useless, so why even bother spending the money? Yes, with the 32 gallon tank, you know you can go past empty, but wouldn't it be nice to have a guage indication to let you know how far, in case you're dragging a trailer (getting worse mileage)?

And again....there is a fix. As I've shown, my gauge is accurate. Get the software update.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well I ran the first tank through my new truck today and I ran it down to 41 miles left and the light on. I filled and my 33 gallon tank only took 28 gallons just like my 5 year old truck.
I am trying to figure out how you think this is wrong.

You left out the most important piece of information, which is what the calculated MPG was. Let's assume the truck had calculated 14 MPG.

You have a 33 gallon tank.
Figure there is a 1 gallon reserve after you hit 0 miles remaining.
Your EVIC displayed 41 miles to go - that's 3 gallons at 14 MPG.
You put 28 gallons of gas into the truck.

33 - 1 - 3 - 28 = 1 gallon discrepancy.

Considering my limited has a 26 gallon fuel tank, I am not sure which part of the programming is off, since your tank appeared to be calculated for at least 31 gallons. If I tried to fill up my 26 gallon tank when the EVIC displayed 41 miles remaining, I would expect to put in about 22 gallons.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Not crazy. Working as designed. =)

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I remember reading into this in 2013 when I first starting noticing it, the general consensus at that time was that they did this to 1) save fuel pumps and 2) prevent you from running out of gas, which will save the fuel pump over time among other things. I have never had an issue with that feature and was hoping my new truck had it, which I guess it does.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts