DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello guys,
first of all, im sorry about my english skills. I hope you will guys understand everything.

Ive recently delivered my Ram 2013 Sport from IaaI auction...and i cant start it :( All i have on cluster is this:

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Light Speedometer

When i turn key to ignition i have nothing, black screen, no sound from starter, nothing :(
Fuses in main fusebox under the hood looks good. The one i didnt check is starter relay in fusebox cause i dont know how to do that, but could it be the reason?
When car was in iaai parking lot truck was starting
I think maybe water could cause this problem. There was no front window and hood and truck arrived poorly protected :/
Also, transmission is switched to neutral gear to push the truck (it came like this) but gear shifter is on P position.

Please guys , tell me where i shoud look out for a cause of this problem. I would be very appriciate of any help.

·
Super Moderator
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,647 Posts
Welcome!
Your English is plenty good.
You have a lot happening there, I think.
A bad starter relay could certainly prevent the starter from engaging, but it would not give you the blank screen.
So to begin, what is your battery condition? What is the voltage? These trucks need a fully charged battery to even begin acting right. You should have a minimum of 12.6 volts at the battery with no electrical load. You will also need to know that the battery voltage doesn't drop dramatically when electrical load is applied. A battery load test is really the only way to check that.
I think we need to be sure your battery is good first of all. Nothing will work right if it's not.
And you must protect the truck from bad weather if there's no windshield and hood.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for your your help. I will check the voltage just to be sure, but battery is new, it was the first think ive changed.

·
Super Moderator
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,647 Posts
...but battery is new...
Oh, ok. I didn't know that.
What else have you tried? You might check that the ground connections are good and that the battery terminals are clean.
The fuses look good, you say. Is there power to those fuses?
If the engine compartment and the dashboard have had rain falling on them, you could have all kinds of problems to solve.
In the photo, the gauges are lit up, so there's power there. When you turn the ignition, do all those lights go out?
Do the lights work? Door locks? Windows? Can you hear the fuel pump running when you turn on ignition?
This is going to be a very difficult problem to solve by talking over the internet. Can you take photos of the truck and the engine? Where is the hood? Has the truck been damaged in an accident?

·
Registered
232 Posts
With the transmission in neutral ( I assume by pulling the cable under dash) would that prevent it from starting?

Hello guys,
first of all, im sorry about my english skills. I hope you will guys understand everything.

Ive recently delivered my Ram 2013 Sport from IaaI auction...and i cant start it :( All i have on cluster is this:

View attachment 139764

When i turn key to ignition i have nothing, black screen, no sound from starter, nothing :(
Fuses in main fusebox under the hood looks good. The one i didnt check is starter relay in fusebox cause i dont know how to do that, but could it be the reason?
When car was in iaai parking lot truck was starting
I think maybe water could cause this problem. There was no front window and hood and truck arrived poorly protected :/
Also, transmission is switched to neutral gear to push the truck (it came like this) but gear shifter is on P position.

Please guys , tell me where i shoud look out for a cause of this problem. I would be very appriciate of any help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im sending to you guys pictures of engine and fuse box.
In response of your questions @9thousandfeet

1. When i turn to ignition, all those light are go out. Gauges are have power, yes.
2. Door lock works, light outside and inside truck works, electric seats works. Does not work anything on dashboard
3. I cant hear anything when i turn to ignition, its like the ignition switch doesnt work at all...

Also the horn from steering wheel is not working, but when i click panic or close truck, its honk.
Shouldnt i have any other fuse box there to chceck? i found only that ine main.

The transmission - i have as on picture above
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Eyewear Audio equipment Musical instrument accessory Electronic instrument Gadget

Gear shift Car White Automotive design Automotive tire

·
Registered
817 Posts
Try running a 10 gauge wire from the negative battery post directly to the ground lug on the starter. When I had my 2012 (I bought it new) I experienced a similar problem, although it was random. After the third time it did this, I ran the extra direct ground wire and cured my problem. It's worth a try! GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Any other thoughts guys? @9thousandfeet
When i double press remote start, on gauges i have information as od pocture shown in my first post. When i hit the break pedal gauges will lighted (but nothing on screen). When i turning fob in ignition switch - nothing.

Im think i will buy at monday ignition switch with key - will i need to programm it somehow or just put out old and connect new and it should work? Also i thinking about buy ecm and check… what you guys think?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any other thoughts guys? @9thousandfeet
When i double press remote start, on gauges i have information as od pocture shown in my first post. When i hit the break pedal gauges will lighted (but nothing on screen). When i turning fob in ignition switch - nothing.

Im think i will buy at monday ignition switch with key - will i need to programm it somehow or just put out old and connect new and it should work? Also i thinking about buy ecm and check… what you guys think?
I wouldn’t just start throwing parts at it hoping for a fix. That seldom works without a big bill. I would also suggest there is power to the TIPM and the fuses to the ignition and stater have power. You have gotten some great advice so far. Try that and report back. The guys on these forms are great and helping diagnose these types of issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Think about this. The truck is in park, but they had to tow it. Most likely they disconnected the tranny from the linkage, and put the tranny in neutral (for towing purposes) from the lever on the side of the transmission. Climb under the truck, and make sure that the linkage from the cab is secured to the transmission. You can manually put it back into park. Then reconnect the linkage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay guys, so thats the information ive received from you so far.

I will call an electrician and ask to start with check as follow:
1. Check the ground connections and battery terminals.
2. Check fuses and if there power to fuses
3. Check if there is a power to TIPM (fusebox)

Something more should i ask electrician to check?
And could disconnected transmission cause this? Should i connect it back at this point?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Figure it out brother. The truck started and ran at Iaai. Then you called a tow truck. Now is doesn't start. So, the cause is something the tow driver did, and what they do is take the truck out of park, so it will roll. You need to get under the truck, put it back in park at the transmission, and reconnect the linkage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You right @Hansome i will get under the truck tommorow and reconnect the linkage.
tommorow i will get back to uou guys and tell you whats new.
Thanks you all for advices 🙏

·
Registered
5 Posts
The driver should have done this. LOL. He is lazy. And what did he do with the bolt and cotter pin? Now you probably have to go buy this stuff.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The truck senses the disconnect between the shift lever and the transmission gear and is likely in a safety mode. Once you reconnected the linkage at the transmission below and put it into park and the lever and transmission gear match it should go. Otherwise, it is very likely that not having a windshield may have caused some water damage. These trucks are not happy with any water into the dash area and many have required new TIPM or BCMs after excess water from tinting the front windshields gets into the dash and subsequent body control modules buried behind it. Hope its the transmission, feel for you if it ends up being the water issue as it about a $4,000 fix typically.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank gou guys, i will let you all know after electrician check.
To connect transmission i have to just reconnect linkage or it need to do something else!? Also there is this tiny cover next to the shifter taken out ( i attached image in one of my first posts in this topic) Should do something with that?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you guys for all your help with my issue. Today electrician connected diag scanner to my truck and one problem found - no connectivity with ignition switch. They took out it and inside found water damage. I hope that ignition swithc change will fix the problem, i will let you know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had the same issue before, on my 1998. solved by putting a heater in the truck. Let it (the heater) run for days, as the floor was soaked. finally started.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wojtek don't give up on your new baby. I have had mine since 2016 new, lots of mods, some minor hiccups but at the end, I am very happy with my choice! Happy tire burnouts prove it with Pulsar by Edge! I would not replace mine for Chevy, Ford or even Toyota! But I do agree with my experienced colleagues here, that new generation of cars, trucks do not like water intrusions. Hopefully, just changing your starting switch will work out for you! Powodzenia i jak twoja maszyna zacznie dzialac, nie trzymaj ja na idling za dlugo! Te silniki 5.7 Hemi i 6.4 Hemi nie lubia wolnych obrotow ponizej 1500 RPM i potrzebuja wyzszych obrotow do lepszego smarowania. Sprawdz ile masz godzin na idling! Czas powyzej 400 godzin zwieksza szanse na problemy miedzy walem rozrzadu i zaworami! Pozdrowienia z FL:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts