DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an embarrassing thing to admit..but I raced twice tonight, and lost both races. The first guy I raced had an '08 2WD Tundra Double Cab with a 5.7, and he beat me by about 3 truck lengths. The next guy I raced had an '03 Silverado SS AWD, and he beat me by about 2 truck lengths. Both races were from a dead stop to about 100 mph. I was gaining on the SS towards the end of the race, but the Tundra had a better top end than my R/T. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed. I had horrible take offs both times, partly due to the fact that it was my first time racing. But I still feel like I should have done much better. For take off I had it revved between 1,000 to 1,800 RPMs. At 2,000 RPMs I start spinning. So, any thoughts on how I could improve?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
R/Ts come with 4:10 gears. I'd rather not mod my truck. Both those guys had intakes, but I still should have been able to beat them stock.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Haha you ask us what you should do and you wont consider modding your truck??? Lol idk maybe work on you reaction times and still get beat by one or two car lengths...

·
Registered
110 Posts
learn how to launch the truck. you have to come off the line strong. those trucks are also fast, and probabley have more mods than you think.

·
Administrator
2008 RAM 1500 ST 3.7L Magnum V6 PS2
53,986 Posts
Agreed ^^^^! Their trucks had to have more mods than just intakes, but a good launch makes a lot of difference.

- Cajun

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
wanting to make your truck better, but not wanting to mod it is like having a naked girl in your bed ready to go and you would rather watch tv....

Reactions: SRTAndy

·
Registered
218 Posts
wanting to make your truck better, but not wanting to mod it is like having a naked girl in your bed ready to go and you would rather watch tv....
:LOL: now that right there is funny

Dude a simple intake and exhaust will make the truck more free flowing. Hell your already racing it, why not do a couple of mods? Either modding your truck really does work (and is not a waste of money) or you need more practice on drag racing.

·
Registered
110 Posts
go get your self a Gtech and find a nice back road and practice some launches. I would see up to 7 tenths of a differance with a crappy launch. A intake and exhaust is no big deal to do, you can always take it off later. Try letting a little air out of your back tires if you race again. Not to low keep them safe. You gotta beat that chevy.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
no modding seriously...try removing your spare, your jack, and anything else to lose weight. keep less than a half tank of fuel in your truck. there are also small weights that are bolted to many of your body mounts that you can remove. btw they are NVH. not sure how much this will help but other than getting a set of really sticky tires to allow you to launch harder that's about it.

·
Registered
868 Posts
and probabley have more mods than you think.
I agree, they have to have more mods that they didn't tell you about are you just really suck at driving. My buddy has a Chevy SS and I out ran him, the Tundra is a fast truck but you should still beat it with a decent launch.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha you ask us what you should do and you wont consider modding your truck??? Lol idk maybe work on you reaction times and still get beat by one or two car lengths...
I should not have to mod my truck to beat a lousy SS, and even a Tundra shouldn't beat an R/T. I never asked for tips on how to mod a truck, any dumbass knows that if he wants to win more races, to modify his truck. I asked for tips on how to improve my racing. A few of you had some good tips and I appreciate that.

Both those trucks had intakes, I believe the Tundra had a cutback, and the owner of the SS took out the muffler on his. I didn't think that would make too much of a difference though. Maybe I will modify my truck, I don't know. But in the meantime, I'd like to find out how to beat those guys without molding it, and I know its possible.

Their 1/8th mile times are 9.53 for the SS, and 9.5 for the Tundra. That gives them 1/4 mile times of about 14.8-14.9. According to Motor Trend, an R/T runs the 1/4 in 14.4, and I've heard of guys on run high 13s in their stock R/Ts. Maybe I'm a horrible driver, I'm willing to admit that. But I still think it should be possible to beat those guys without molding my truck.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
i to raced a tundra and i beat him by 2 truck lengths i have a magnaflow muffler a cai 2 '' drop on the rear but i think its cause my calipers are red as to why i beat him lol j/k ya learning to launch is a big thing with these trucks 1 if you take taction control off your going to spin 2 leave it on your going to bite but get a sloppy take off. So if your serious then bring an air pump take about 15 pounds of air out of back tires take off traction control and practice also glad you did not go past 100 cause at 105 these bad boys give up (come on super chips)

with traction control on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkxL5ID1xOQ

with it off
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLLOfIthcfQ&NR=1

hope this helps

·
Registered
110 Posts
RT 0.60 5.7 seconds. A bad launch a lot of wheel spin your 0.60 could change to 6.4 or 6.5, that is a big differance. You should beat those trucks or at least stay close to them. If they are running them at the track I would bet they are both tuned also. Get that launch down. You can't punch it to the floor.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Driver mod makes a big difference. Once you have some time behind the wheel and how the truck responds you should see a difference in your 60ft.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i to raced a tundra and i beat him by 2 truck lengths i have a magnaflow muffler a cai 2 '' drop on the rear but i think its cause my calipers are red as to why i beat him lol j/k ya learning to launch is a big thing with these trucks 1 if you take taction control off your going to spin 2 leave it on your going to bite but get a sloppy take off. So if your serious then bring an air pump take about 15 pounds of air out of back tires take off traction control and practice also glad you did not go past 100 cause at 105 these bad boys give up (come on super chips)
My brake calipers are red too :hah: Actually I think they cut out at 108.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
RT 0.60 5.7 seconds. A bad launch a lot of wheel spin your 0.60 could change to 6.4 or 6.5, that is a big differance. You shpuld beat those trucks or at least stay close to them. If they are running them at the track I would bet they are both tuned also. Get that launch down. You can't punch it to the floor.
Driver mod makes a big difference. Once you have some time behind the wheel and how the truck responds you should notice your times improve dramatically.
I think you guys are right, I just need some more practice. I've only driven my truck about 1,500 miles, and these were my first races. I'd never practiced taking off before because I'm afraid of ruining my tires too quickly. And, I'm afraid my truck is gonna end up having problems if I always keep the pedal on the floor.

·
Registered
262 Posts
i can see the tundra, those are sneaky fast, but the ss? that things old and out of date.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I suggest you find yourself an actual Track FIRST!
You learn a LOT at street legal nights from the regulars ! plus its safe and LEGAL
all you need is a helmet and $25

My first run last July was dismal 15.3, almost stock (non R/T with 3.55's)
I've learned a lot since then and I'm down to 13.8's with minor mods
and got my reaction times to less then .100th of a second

I've even beat much faster cars just by cutting a better light, like SRT8's and Mustang GT's
left lane was a Subaru STi with a quicker ET, but I won by .0724

I've beat both those trucks (SS Chevy and Tundra) with the same mods at the track easily, and that's with my RCSB 4x4 with crappy 3.55 gears
it's amazing what you can achieve with just Intake,Exhaust, Tune and Tires...

Man I wish I had an R/T !

1 - 20 of 75 Posts