DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took my 10 and 5 year old to the sand pit and through some mud holes in our 04 yesterday after the Ravens game. I didn't want to tear up the farmers feilds, drive around the gates on the state owned forest or go down the trails that might put a scratch on the truck. My kids were a little disapointed, I guess after watching the youtube's of the mud hops and all they thought they were in for a ride....instead they got "No I'm not gona tear the truck up". Witch even as the words came out of my mouth I couldn't beleive I was saying it. Well to help make them understand what I meant, I got them up this morning and went out to wash the truck (18 degrees)................WOW I didn't go through what they wanted to and made them wash the truck. I feel like old hatefull dad :sad:.
But it did help me decide that big Mud tires are not what I need. All tho something with more side wall would look better IMO. I was checking out my buddys F250 with 285/70-16's they look like bid tires....but they had less dia. than mine (275/60-20). Iguess with the big wheels the tire looks small. IDK what I'm gona do, even if you get 17's the tires are all the same price (300+). Whats your guy's choice of AT's? I've got Nitto's now..

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've had nothing but Goodyear Wranglers on my Ram. Started off with the AT's, then moved up to the MTR's. I loved those tires, but didn't get as much mileage out of them as I wanted. Right now, I'm running the Silent Armor. They seem really good and getting some good miles out of them too. Size of the tires have all been 305/70/16.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Dick Cepek FC 2's on my girl. Love em. Go through all I want and kickass on the ice n snow.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Tire choice is probably the hardest thing to pick. It depends on where U live, how U drive and what U drive in/on. One tire will work great in the desert southwest and not so great in the eastern US. SW U probably want durability due to the dry rocky terrain. In the east U have to consider whether or not U will run them in winter. Most mud tires SUCK donkey balls in winter. Goodyear duratracs are suppose to do well in the mud and snow though, give them a look see.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
I like my cooper zeons.... right at $1,000 for all 4 installed out the door.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just put on Cooper AT3's, bought 5 mounted for <$1200, nice tire! Went from a 245/70/17 to a 285/70/17 E rating ....... no rubs look good and they perform well, rides nice too.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Dick Cepek FC 2's on my girl. Love em. Go through all I want and kickass on the ice n snow.
Have a set of these on my truck as well and am very happy with them so far, more of an aggressive allterrain, they perform well in all types of terrain and conditions

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Assault 800....Did you notice any preformance lost on the street when you went to the wider tire? I'm thinking of going with 305/55-20 FC-II's I know its only a inch or so wider than stock (same overall height) its just than I'm use to the words, 33/12.50 going along with 10mpg!

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
I took my 10 and 5 year old to the sand pit and through some mud holes in our 04 yesterday after the Ravens game. I didn't want to tear up the farmers feilds, drive around the gates on the state owned forest or go down the trails that might put a scratch on the truck. My kids were a little disapointed, I guess after watching the youtube's of the mud hops and all they thought they were in for a ride....instead they got "No I'm not gona tear the truck up". Witch even as the words came out of my mouth I couldn't beleive I was saying it. Well to help make them understand what I meant, I got them up this morning and went out to wash the truck (18 degrees)................WOW I didn't go through what they wanted to and made them wash the truck. I feel like old hatefull dad :sad:.
But it did help me decide that big Mud tires are not what I need. All tho something with more side wall would look better IMO. I was checking out my buddys F250 with 285/70-16's they look like bid tires....but they had less dia. than mine (275/60-20). Iguess with the big wheels the tire looks small. IDK what I'm gona do, even if you get 17's the tires are all the same price (300+). Whats your guy's choice of AT's? I've got Nitto's now..
let me put this in perspective for you, i write two checks out every year for each one of my daughters. they total close to 60000 dollars for college tuition. wouldn't be able to do this if i ahd to keep fixing my truck that i went out and damaged for fun. also paid a little over 300.00 for a chemisry text book. this is what being a dad is all about.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
i write two checks out every year for each one of my daughters. they total close to 60000 dollars for college tuition.
Holy crap, that's more than all of my student loans (5 years of school)!!!

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Why don't you send them to schools that cost less lol. I am frustrated enough with what I will have paid in interest over the next 5-10 years of paying my loans off, I couldn't imagine spending $150,000 upfront for 5 years of school...

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
Why don't you send them to schools that cost less lol. I am frustrated enough with what I will have paid in interest over the next 5-10 years of paying my loans off, I couldn't imagine spending $150,000 upfront for 5 years of school...
don't have a good answer to this other than they worked hard in high school and are doing well. one wants to be a vet and the other an md. "they are on their own for that". hopefully these schools will prepare them this. i went to a state college way back when and didn't spend 10 grand for all 4 years.

just looked at your age, start saving now, set up some of those college funds and take advantage of the tax laws. you will be paying at least this much or more when your sons are ready.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts