DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys (and gals?)

I have a 2001 2500 quad cab V10 8.0L and I keep blowing the dang fuse for my dash lights, tail lights and the Amber's on top of the cab, I know there are a few threads on here about it but still no clear answer on the fix, and there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why mine keep blowing, when I first turn on my lights at night I can go 15-20 miles with no issues and then it will randomly blow. After the first fuse blows I have to pull off every mile or so and replace the fuse. I do have an after market stereo that I installed myself and I completely isolated both of the illumination wires on the stock harness, I have pulled every possible bulb and all terminals are clean and pretty surprisingly, and I've spent a good 3 days under the truck and behind the dash looking for fudged wires, I ordered a new headlight switch hoping that that is it because I noticed that my fog lights don't work but when the fuse blows the fog light "light" on the switch turns on but doesnt when the fuse is good. Just asking you guys incase the switch doesnt work I might have another lead from you.
Thanks much,
Nate

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So the headlight switch wasn't the problem so I'm still searching, and here is a pic if said fog light "light" that comes on when the fuse is blown

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
If a fuse blows, it is a direct short to ground. Trick is finding exactly where it is shorting to. You need a wiring diagram and figure out what all is fed of that. If upper clearance lights, brake lights and something else is fed off that, I would find say the upper lights and disconnect as close to fuse as possible. Sounds like a chaffing wire. Now I did have a Ramcharger one time a dime got into the cig plug and caused a short. Killed interior lights, brake lights and something else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts