DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I need to change the OEM headlights in my 2009 SLT.
They are not anywhere good for my needs for night vision.

I have used the Ultimate Sylvania bulbs, or the best series, and they are better than OEM.

I really need help lighting the front on my truck at night.

I want the easiest fix, not necessarily the least expensive.

Also Projector or HID, which is better long term life?

I do not want to blind anyone, just see better directly in front and off to the sides more. I have the Mopar kit installed for Fogs, in the bumper center opening, not bumper with factory ones.

Thanks in advance, I hope my questions make sense.

Richie aka Lubinator

·
Registered
148 Posts
Talk to Jeremy at retroshop.us, and get a set of Projector HIDs. They'll be the brightest, most focused headlight replacements you can buy, but because they have a cutoff shield, you won't blind anyone.

I'd recommend 55W, 5000K, it's very bright, and pure white.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had the same problem with the stock headlights on my 09 SLT...not enough light output. I used it to tell my wife we needed to put on a bull bar and driving lights. She fell for it. :D

·
Registered
12 2500 Cummins, 92 W150 5.2
227 Posts
An HID kit will run you under $50 shipped to your door. If I were you I'd try that out first, if you arent happy with the results then you can always sell them on the forum here and start towards a projector retrofit. For what its worth my buddy with an `10 switched his regular bulbs for HIDs and was very happy with the output as well as the cut off. He doesnt get flashed and hes got a leveling kit up front. You just have to adjust accordingly.

HID kit will be th easiest.
Projector swap will be the most expensive, and probably most effective.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

I do appreciate the input from you 3 guys. Thanks very much.

I was really dumbfounded to only three responses, I had thought this was a topic of interest. I guess there are no other opinions.

I probably will be going the projector route.

If anyone knows of a distributor that handles a "kit" and offers tech support for projectors it would be greatly appreciated also.

Thanks in advance Richie

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Talk to Jeremy at retroshop.us, and get a set of Projector HIDs. They'll be the brightest, most focused headlight replacements you can buy, but because they have a cutoff shield, you won't blind anyone.

I'd recommend 55W, 5000K, it's very bright, and pure white.
Thanks good input, I will give him a call :smileup:

·
Registered
406 Posts
I would go with Jeremy, I tried just the HIDs in stock housing, didnt like it, bought a set of used chinese projectors with HIDS, it was worse than stock housing and HIDs, now im having to save up $$$ to go with the choice I should of went with 1st, Jeremy

·
Registered
12 2500 Cummins, 92 W150 5.2
227 Posts
Another option may be a set of 2013 factory headlights with the projector in them although it would probably be more expensive than a retrofit kit and may involve some rewiring or reprogramming.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts