DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On 06/16/2020 I went to dodge dealership to have egr valve replace. While there,service member recommended I should have my front differential service due to the mileage on truck, I agreed. I never had any problems with my front differential. No leaks e.t.c. I had my front differential service here on 06/16/2020. On 06/17/2020 ,coming from New Jersey, I notice front differential leaking badly. Took truck back to dealership to diagnose problem. Service member stated technician didn’t fully seal drain plug and fluid leaked out. Truck was serviced (new fluid and plug tighten properly)and return to me on 06/18/2020. No apology given , discount or coupons , nothing. On 06/26/20 I notice fluid leaking from front differential again, so truck was returned to dealership on 06/26/20. Technician diagnosed a rear pinion seal leaking and dripping down onto the front differential which is connected directly to front differential. Technician repaired rear pinion seal for $380. I ask “shouldn’t it be free because it’s part of the front differential”. Service member Stated rear pinion seal didn’t have anything to do with front differential. Today 07/18/2020 I notice front Differential leaking slowly and a grinding sound coming from front differential when driving and accelerating. Drop truck off at dealership on 07/18/2020. What should I do?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On 07/20/20 dealership called and apologize for messing up what they touched and said they have to rebuild front differential, new bearings e.t.c. Truck should be done in 2 days. No cost to me. Should I receive a new front differential, Instead of rebuilding the old one? I feel I’m going to always have problems with my front differential now. Should I receive a refund for the front differential fluid change service $400 (this service is when the nightmare started) and rear pinion seal $380?

·
Registered
21 Posts
On 06/16/2020 I went to dodge dealership to have egr valve replace. While there,service member recommended I should have my front differential service due to the mileage on truck, I agreed. I never had any problems with my front differential. No leaks e.t.c. I had my front differential service here on 06/16/2020. On 06/17/2020 ,coming from New Jersey, I notice front differential leaking badly. Took truck back to dealership to diagnose problem. Service member stated technician didn’t fully seal drain plug and fluid leaked out. Truck was serviced (new fluid and plug tighten properly)and return to me on 06/18/2020. No apology given , discount or coupons , nothing. On 06/26/20 I notice fluid leaking from front differential again, so truck was returned to dealership on 06/26/20. Technician diagnosed a rear pinion seal leaking and dripping down onto the front differential which is connected directly to front differential. Technician repaired rear pinion seal for $380. I ask “shouldn’t it be free because it’s part of the front differential”. Service member Stated rear pinion seal didn’t have anything to do with front differential. Today 07/18/2020 I notice front Differential leaking slowly and a grinding sound coming from front differential when driving and accelerating. Drop truck off at dealership on 07/18/2020. What should I do?
I’d be looking for a different dealership, after many years I had to switch from 1 right here in town, ( 2 miles away ) to a store 30 miles away.!!., sounds like your store is just getting to greedy like some seem to do just BEFORE THEY GO OUT OF BUSINESS., keep the truck, ditch the dealer.!

·
Registered
48 Posts
With every new vehicle I purchase I download the owner manual and then put together a Word document that lists at what mileage service should be done. If I did that with your 3500 truck I would know that the differential fluid never needs to be changed based on the Ram manual.

Dealers make most of their profits from the sale of parts and the sale of service work. You were scammed by the dealer but it is in part your fault for not bothering to RTFM and check when maintenance is recommend by Ram.

The last time I had my truck at the dealer they told me it was time to have the transmission fluid changed for $400. With my transmission and using TES 295 ATF the change interval is every 4 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes sooner. The ATF in my truck did not need to be changed for another 12 months. The service guy wanted to get the $400 for the dealer and could care less about shafting me to do so.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The nightmare continue. The dealer rebuild front differential and truck was picked up on Monday 07/27/20. The metal grinding sound has gotten worst. It is so loud now, that when I drive up the road people turn and look. The mechanic couldn’t have test drove truck with windows down and a/c off. He would’ve heard it. Truck wasn’t making this sound prior to differential service. It sounds like it’s coming from the front drive side. I wonder what could it be. Maybe they didn’t do an alignment on it. It sound like the brakes or something dealing with the front axle wasn’t put back on right. It’s sound like something is scraping. I can’t imagine in a million years I would have problems like this with a professional dealership. With A backyard mechanic I would expect something like this to happen. I always thought that if you love your vehicle only let the dealer work on it. My God was I wrong. I pray they just put my truck back to normal. I regret servicing the front differential. I wouldn’t be going thru this if I would’ve just decline the service when they recommend it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts