DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

So i have a loaded up 2009 Ram Laramie and just recently put a bakflip G2 tonneou cover on it so i could lock and secure goods in the back. The problem i have now is there are no aftermarket tailgate locks for a 1500 Ram. The dealer can order all the factory parts "6 parts in all" about $350.00. It seams every other truck on the market can get a pop n lock or some other brand tailgate lock but the ram. A friend of mine has a small $20.00 lock that just pushes into the factory handle and locks with a key but he has no idea of the brand of it. I have been on line for a while now and have had no luck finding anything aftermarket except for the electric locks.

anyone have any suggestions on a tailgate lock for a 09 1500?

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
the 2009 comes without the lock on most Rams

it comes with 1 of 3 tailgate handles

1) plain tailgate handle
2) handle with a locking mechanism
3) handle w/ locking mechanism & a rear view camera & wiring that runs all the way up to the radio

If you take off the access panel on the tailgate, you can remove the tailgate handle, be careful don't drop any parts like nuts or screws, it may be a hassle getting them back out, even through the hole in the bottom.

the handles come with which ever option that you want, non locking, locking, locking with camera, it is complete
EXCEPT for 1 piece, the thing that is mounted on the rods, that actually makes it lock

this is what is holding the tailgate rods together right now, the NON LOCKING stock unit

[/URL]

This is the actual Locking piece that is needed with the tailgate handle

the black part is called a
MP-68044867AD E7 OEM Latch Control - 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 - Locking & 2010 All Dodge Ram 1500 & 2010-2011 Dodge Ram 2500/3500 Pickups $ 39.95

the handle that locks is
MP-68084592AA E4 OEM Tailgate Handle - 2009-2010 Dodge Ram 1500 & 2010-2011 Dodge Ram 2500/3500 - Locking - w/o Rear View Camera (cylinder not included - sold below) $ 47.95

when i purchased my handle through the dealer, it already had the locking mechanism installed, i just had to buy the black locking latch control

I had the dealer reset my tailgate locking mechanism tumblers, so that the door key unlocks the tailgate too

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
did the dealer install it and if so do u remember how much it was with parts and labor?
reps for that!

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
I did have the dealer install it, actually the service dept was busy & the service adviser did it, but i had to go back another day, because i had bought the locking tailgate handle With the back up camera, a tech ran the wiring for the camera.
So my labor costs would be different than yours

I would almost bet that You could do it in about an hour the first time & less than that the 2nd time

this video is made by a different company, but it shows close to what you would be doing,
the difference is, they don't use the black piece that i posted above

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGYxFVuhGjc

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i def. am going to install it myself whenever i get a tonneau and all that, i'll probably get my buddy that works at a locksmith to adjust the tumblers for me before the install as well just to make sure all goes well!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok cool sounds good. ill try these parts and see how it goes. Ill do the labour myself and let ya know how easy it was soon. thanks for the info. The difference in price was another $100 for the new tumbler. Those prices were the same otherwise.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Here's a link to the part. I'll bet you can get it from your dealer for around $100-$110. You will also see a link on that page for the Installation Guide in pdf format. For some weird reason I've noticed that those instructions have been revised and some of the pictures in the guide are almost illegible since I first found it a couple of years ago. I have also posted a link below that has a better version of the installation instructions (clearer pictures). Good Luck!!

Parts page
http://www.mopar-accessories.com/en...Id=1003&GroupId=2000&SubGroupId=3280&pc=45972

Better Install Guide
http://www.mopardodge.com/accessories/Instructions/82211668AB_tailgatelock_IFU.pdf

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well i went to the dealer with your part #s and they didnt want to use them. they wanted to order it thier way.

The part #s were 68044904AF $95.92 Handle
68154166AA $70.95 Lock
68154167AA $2.14 Clip
68044867AD $71.44 Latch

Grand total of $240.45

So it cost alot more to get the parts here in Canada. The parts guy also insists that i will need the rods that go the the latch at either end of the tailgate. So i guess im hooped. Im going to try another dealer in a different city and see if they will use the part #s you gave me. But my local dealer wouldnt listen.

·
Registered
300 Posts
the 2009 comes without the lock on most Rams

it comes with 1 of 3 tailgate handles

1) plain tailgate handle
2) handle with a locking mechanism
3) handle w/ locking mechanism & a rear view camera & wiring that runs all the way up to the radio

If you take off the access panel on the tailgate, you can remove the tailgate handle, be careful don't drop any parts like nuts or screws, it may be a hassle getting them back out, even through the hole in the bottom.

the handles come with which ever option that you want, non locking, locking, locking with camera, it is complete
EXCEPT for 1 piece, the thing that is mounted on the rods, that actually makes it lock

this is what is holding the tailgate rods together right now, the NON LOCKING stock unit

[/URL]

This is the actual Locking piece that is needed with the tailgate handle

the black part is called a
MP-68044867AD E7 OEM Latch Control - 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 - Locking & 2010 All Dodge Ram 1500 & 2010-2011 Dodge Ram 2500/3500 Pickups $ 39.95

the handle that locks is
MP-68084592AA E4 OEM Tailgate Handle - 2009-2010 Dodge Ram 1500 & 2010-2011 Dodge Ram 2500/3500 - Locking - w/o Rear View Camera (cylinder not included - sold below) $ 47.95

when i purchased my handle through the dealer, it already had the locking mechanism installed, i just had to buy the black locking latch control

I had the dealer reset my tailgate locking mechanism tumblers, so that the door key unlocks the tailgate too

Thanks for the info!:smileup:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow so on top of all the tail gate parts and the very expensive tumbler it never had the brass keys in it. So i then had to take this cheap looking 90 dollar tumber to a lock smith and they had to add the brass keys and match it to my key for another 30 bucks. wow how i am hating Dodge more and more for there foolish prices and very shitty GPS systems.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
First of all, you already have the rods that go from the outside of the tailgate into the latching mechanism
otherwise you could not close your tailgate right now
I Think i may be incorrect, i just found that there are straight rods & bent rods
all anyone needs is the
Handle with the hole for the tumbler
Locking mechanism
lock tumbler

Look almost all the way at the bottom of this website, you will see the parts quite clearly & what they cost
http://www.jimsautoparts.com/mopar_...ck_magnum_body_parts_&_exterior.htm#tailgates etc
scroll down to OEM TAILGATES & COMPONENTS

You should check with our RamforumZ Vendors, you may get at least the same price
The dealerships Parts Dept. can only guess at what they believe you need. The parts catalog is not very well detailed when it comes to these parts, i have seen it on their computer, no wonder some of the parts people look like they would rather be shoveling manure

It may help the Parts Dept, if you tell them the manual locking tailgate Sales Code is
Manual Locking Tailgate (Sales Code XJJ
Here is an old discussion about this same tailgate lock, complete with part numbers
http://www.ramforumz.com/archive/index.php/t-50943.html

·
Registered
85 Posts
in the mean while you can use the c clamp to prevent from it getting stolen check out the pictures section and it shows it there

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had to buy the locking mechanism for my RAM as well. It was the locking handle, lock & rods. I don't remember the cost but I followed someone on this sites instructions and installed it in 15 minutes. It was super easy. There was a note on the instructions on this site how to insert your key so the lock would 'learn' your key and that worked as well. I did not have to take it to a locksmith.

·
Registered
11 Posts
locking tailgate help

I put a locking tailgate handle on my 2009 Ram. took about 20 minutes, and I only paid about $195 for the handle, lock and rods. Real easy to do though. I was scared about the lock thing, but there was a sticker posted right on the lock on how to set it to your key.:smileup:

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Could also snag the parts from a junkyard, I bet it'd be like $25 or $50.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do you need to have a manual lock on the tailgate already?
I would think you would for the lock to work with the newer lock mechanism. When I did mine, the instruction I had said I could upgrade to the electric locks when I purchased the standard lock. I chose the standard lock because for one, I didn't want to mess with the wires to my door locks, and I didn't also want the wires running underneath my chassis all mumbo jumbo with wire ties and what not. It isn't that big of a deal to lock the tailgate manually to me.

·
Registered
348 Posts
i needed the rods when i did mine also. the thing is though, the lock cylinder was self programming, you put your key in and it learns your key the first time you use it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts