DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I recently purchased a 2017 Ram Laramie crew cab. The dealership threw in a set of 275/65r20 BFG k02 tires on the deal. The tires are being put on in a few days. I ordered front and rear 5100s for the truck but after doing research like everyone else I have seen that some people have vibrations in 4x4 on dry pavement. I know this has been addressed many times but I can not seem to find anyone that has done the 1.4" adjustment. Iv noticed many go with the 2.8 and some with the 2.1. Has anyone on here went with the 1.4" adjustment? If so how do you like it? Did it fix the Vibration Problem? Also should I go with the 1.4 or the 2.1 and should I buy the mevotech Upper control arms?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
34,463 Posts
Your speedometer and odometer will both be off with that tire size, you may want to see if the dealer can adjust the truck to the larger size. There's no reason you should be in 4x4 on dry pavement, the vibrations would probably be the driver's tearing up their driveline. Some have had vibrations in 2wd on the highway which is likely due to the length of the CV axles and the increased angles that lifting can result in.

I don't think you even need to level for that tire size, but either 1.4 or 2.1 will accommodate them, it just depends on how much rake you want. 2.8 is technically level but IMHO makes the truck look nose high. 275/65/20s are only like an inch larger in diameter than the stock 275/60/20s (33s) so if you go too high they'll look small in the wheelwells. Also the higher you go the higher up your nose will point with a load making it harder to see, steer, and possibly making other people flash their brights at you.

I would go to 1.4 or 2.1, but I like my truck to have rake; trucks are supposed to have rake because they're designed to be loaded. You do not need to upgrade your control arms, plenty of people have done fine on the stock ones, but they'll wear out quicker for sure. Mevotechs are well priced and much like the cast steel UCAs they had before 2013. If you do get them make sure to paint them or have them powder coated because they are not stainless and are not finished. There are other options like Zone UCAs but those are expensive and you can't use them if you have less than 2" of lift

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Hello I recently purchased a 2017 Ram Laramie crew cab. The dealership threw in a set of 275/65r20 BFG k02 tires on the deal. The tires are being put on in a few days. I ordered front and rear 5100s for the truck but after doing research like everyone else I have seen that some people have vibrations in 4x4 on dry pavement. I know this has been addressed many times but I can not seem to find anyone that has done the 1.4" adjustment. Iv noticed many go with the 2.8 and some with the 2.1. Has anyone on here went with the 1.4" adjustment? If so how do you like it? Did it fix the Vibration Problem? Also should I go with the 1.4 or the 2.1 and should I buy the mevotech Upper control arms?
Thanks
275/65R20 are only about one inch larger than stock, so no need to level for that tire size.

Bilstein set to 2.8 issues are rare, dodo bird rare, when compared to the totality of 2.8 users. That said, rare does not mean non existent. I went with the 2.,1 setting. I did not want to go with the 2.8 setting, only to add rear spacers to get back some rake because the design of the truck made it 'appear' to be nose high, when truly leveled.

Look at your hood, that thing is high. when the truck is leveled, it appears to be nose high account the nose is so high. Think Bulldog here, great big nose & shoulders, tiny little ass end. TO compensate, folks add 3/4 to 1" rear spacers to get back some rake.

Other reason, if they ever do actually use the truck to haul something in the bed or tow a trailer, the nose look gets even more exaggerated since the OEM springs are so soft.

IT was for this reason that I switched over to tuftruck springs, when I installed my bilsteins. I wanted a firmer spring, with greater load capability and was willing to give up some of that OEM Ride, Which I did not like, actually. I come from 15yrs of 2500 pickups, I LIKE a truck like Ride.

My Surprise was the wife likes the ride better, now, then the OEM version. Rear end had too much body roll, for her, when going over uneven road surfaces, say interstate on and off ramps.

If you do go with 2.8, you will most likely have zero issues. I did not acct of with my luck...I would be having the issues. I replaced the UCA;s , with mevotech's (that i had painted) for the same reason I replaced my rear springs. I was already there, why not?

That and Ram 1500 OEM Ball Joints are expected to have some slop in them. It's called tolerable allowance. That was the other reason I went with Mevotech's, even though I only went with the 2.1 setting and have never rear nor heard of any issues at that height.

Bottom line, Mevotech's were cheap insurance that I would not have to be back in there, again, down the line. That whole "My Kind of Luck" thinking.

Now, to really stress ya out, read about one guy, who posted pics of his mevotech install. First time on pavement, still in his garage, after getting everything done and dropping the truck back to the ground and his Mevotech ball joints gave out.
Yep, truck never moved, except up on jack stands and off. Ball Joints gave out when weight was placed upon tire.

that guy had even worst luck than me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking of doing the 1.4 to bring the front up just a little just unsure of if I wanna just buy the mevotechs or not and also iv not seen any one post pictures of the 1.4 setting

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Have seen a few pictures of guys who went with the 1.4 setting. Not that common, most seem to do 2.1 or 2.8. I considered 1,4 myself but measured the truck and decided the 2.1 would make the truck look more natural. I am not a fan of huge rake.

If hauling very much, 1.4 may be perfect, for you. OEM Springs sag, under a load.

Wish I could give a definitive answer, on which way you should go but it is truly a personal decision.

here is a show your bilstiens thread, somwewhere on here, jsut start reviewing the images in it, for ideas. good luck to you

·
Super Moderator
34,463 Posts
I have seen a few pics of trucks at 1.4, they aren't that common but IMHO it looks good, especially with the slightly meatier 275/65/20 tire size. I don't think you'll have a problem if you don't install the Mevotechs but Im not one to tell someone not to do a mod or upgrade lol.

If you do go with 1.4 be sure to post pics so other members in your situation later will have more pics to go off of

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To keep the ball joints on the mevotechs from ever having a chance to pop out could I have them spot welded?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Yeah, oen could but that is not really a great idea.
Most folks prefer the cheap part to break, not the high dollar parts.

Honestly, even with bilsteins set to 2.8, 99.9999% of folks have zero issues.
There are guys , on this forum, who have ran 2.8 bilsteins, with OEM ICA's & ball joints, on their 2014 trucks and have yet to have an issue.

I switched over to mevotech acct I generally have bad luck, when it comes to things like this.
UCA's had to come off, anyway, to get the bilsteins on the truck and it was CHEAP!

Full Disclosure: no small part of the Mevotech upgrade was because it was a cheap mod that I could to the truck and it made me feel good to it.
I even got to put three coats of paint, on the Mevotechs before I put them , which added to my Mod Enjoying pleasure.

I have a Mod Addiction, it's true . . .

Got the parts for the back seat, center console USB Mod. Could have put it in, this Fall but decided to wait, for Spring.
Just so I can out to the garage, all Winter long, rub my hands over the pieces and know I will get to do the Mod, this Spring.

Matter of fact, am going out to the garage, right now, to have a smoke and play my USB Parts.

·
Super Moderator
34,463 Posts
Yeah, oen could but that is not really a great idea.
Most folks prefer the cheap part to break, not the high dollar parts.

Honestly, even with bilsteins set to 2.8, 99.9999% of folks have zero issues.
There are guys , on this forum, who have ran 2.8 bilsteins, with OEM ICA's & ball joints, on their 2014 trucks and have yet to have an issue.

I switched over to mevotech acct I generally have bad luck, when it comes to things like this.
UCA's had to come off, anyway, to get the bilsteins on the truck and it was CHEAP!

Full Disclosure: no small part of the Mevotech upgrade was because it was a cheap mod that I could to the truck and it made me feel good to it.
I even got to put three coats of paint, on the Mevotechs before I put them , which added to my Mod Enjoying pleasure.

I have a Mod Addiction, it's true . . .

Got the parts for the back seat, center console USB Mod. Could have put it in, this Fall but decided to wait, for Spring.
Just so I can out to the garage, all Winter long, rub my hands over the pieces and know I will get to do the Mod, this Spring.

Matter of fact, am going out to the garage, right now, to have a smoke and play my USB Parts.

The balljoints need to be disconnected, but the UCAs do not need to come off to install struts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
The balljoints need to be disconnected, but the UCAs do not need to come off to install struts
True.

Forgot that mine had to come off acct I was witching over to Mevotechs.

You just wait, sucks getting old.
Muscle tone goes firsts, followed all too soon by Memory.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I went with 1.4" on my Bils on my 2015. I'm very happy with it. Closer to level, but still has some rake. I'm older than the average guy here probably, and along with that I want the vehicle to perform and last like OEM. So far the minor lift has not impacted it in any way. The suspension seemed a bit stiffer right afterwards, but not in a bad way at all.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts

That was the worst part of the install. Those SOB's were quite happy where they were and were not very cooperative. I almost wish I would have done the UCA's again just to avoid disconnecting the ball joints.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts

I'm not sure who's truck this is, but here's a comparison for ya.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I seen that before just hard to judge what mine will look like since I have 20" rims on mine

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
An alternative: Jack up the front of your truck so it takes weight off the suspension components until you have a 1-1.5" additional gap between the tire and your wheel well. Take a good before and after photo so you can see if the difference is enough for you.

·
Super Moderator
34,463 Posts
I think 1.4 looks really good

·
Registered
123 Posts
I installed the 5100's on my 13 express quad and...

Before install
Front-37"
Rear- 39.75"

After install set at 2.8" highest setting
Front- 39.875"
Rear- 39.75"

So you can see the front is now higher than the rear. So if you tow or anything like me you're going to need a rear 3/4" spacer or more, or keep the front low. If go up 3/4" I'd get the 5100's for the rear since it adds 0-1" of travel to the shock.

Now my concern is the front CV joints. The pics are stock and 2.8". So you can see why some have blown them up.

Now I currently have a 2017 Sport Quad. Im installing the 5100's front and rear with the front set at 2.1" and a 3/4" rear spacer and have 295/65/20's sitting here.

·
Super Moderator
34,463 Posts
I installed the 5100's on my 13 express quad and...

Before install
Front-37"
Rear- 39.75"

After install set at 2.8" highest setting
Front- 39.875"
Rear- 39.75"

So you can see the front is now higher than the rear. So if you tow or anything like me you're going to need a rear 3/4" spacer or more, or keep the front low. If go up 3/4" I'd get the 5100's for the rear since it adds 0-1" of travel to the shock.

Now my concern is the front CV joints. The pics are stock and 2.8". So you can see why some have blown them up.

Now I currently have a 2017 Sport Quad. Im installing the 5100's front and rear with the front set at 2.1" and a 3/4" rear spacer and have 295/65/20's sitting here.
Those CVs don't look bad, if you look under trucks with 6 or more inches of lift the CVs are at absolutely tortuous angles

1 - 20 of 39 Posts