DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
spark plug failed and dropped guts into cylinder.. mopar says tough crap. So we have the lifetime warranty through mopar because the last ram 2500 with the 6.4 was a lemon (2014) anyway. Truck has 130434 miles and change oil at 10k on the dot, all other maintenance done as scheduled smd wouldn't you know it. At exactly 100k I changed the plugs with autolite platinum instead of the champion that was in it. Now at the 130k I have a failure where the bottom of the plug fell off into my cylinder and scratched the walls a little, and the service writer says it bent my valves.. so there answer is a new long block for 10 grand.. (no way) said my warranty will not cover any iif this because iif a non warranty item failure (the spark plug) I contacted autolite and they told me to ship them the spark plug immediately. So now i'm in the waiting game in ups to get that plug to there engineers and i'm sure someway or another they are going to tell me though crap like the ram dealer is already. I'm scared to call them for this reason so far. You could actually spin the spark plugs porcelain in circles while holding the threaded part.. crazy I know. And even crazier that this happen to this truck that ran perfect for the entire life until now. Does anyone have suggestions on how I need to bark at and who on this? Or just tru to be patient and accept whatever they say? This is a mega cab 2016 ram 2500 with the 6.4 Laramie. It's my work truck and I work in the oilfield. I've only had this truck about a year and 8 months and did not it new along with the full bumper to bumper warranty for mopar (not a side show warranty company) I can only use this truck for 70,000 more miles on the job before I have to upgrade so the new 10,000 dollar motor is not a option unless they give me a brand new dash cluster also, otherwise my job will not accept it over 200k... please help..

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I would think your issue is with Autolite and not Mopar. Did you take pictures of the plug before you sent it to them (for your records and possible legal action)?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I paid large for a bumper to bumper extended warr. and every time I've asked(small shit)they say well you know it's not really bumper to bumper.Hope I never really need it but then it'd be nice to get some of your money back.

·
Premium Member
32,659 Posts
Some of the parts that any warranty will NOT cover
Rubber, Glass, Plastic & Brake Pads

Then they cover their butts by including that if you use an after market part that you use, that directly causes other parts to malfunction in any way & they get to decide what did what.

That leaves the spark plug manufacturer, to see if there may have been a parts flaw
Then they may check the threads to see if the spark plug had been over torqued

Hopefully they will find a manufacturing defect

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Simple, really, can you explain how this issue is caused by Chrysler and therefore should covered by that lifetime warranty? If so, take them to court and explain it so a Judge will find for you. Most small claims court fees are cheap, with varying damage limits , up to 10K depending on your state.

that said, I do not see how a spark plug malfunction can be Chryslers fault.
NOR do I see how the damage could be 100% laid at the foot of the spark plug.

Spark Plug company is going to say something slapped that plug, causing it to fail.

Bottom line, this appears to be an issue where blame cannot be definitely proven.

get a junk yard hemi, not like they are rare or hard to find, slap into the truck and run it. Different engine does not change how many miles on the truck nor does slapping a new gauge system in the truck.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Never put "Ford Parts" on a Mopar! Still it's fixable, you don't need a new block imho. I'd go after Autolite. Curious what the plug looks like. I've seen Champions take a beating from failed valve seat, but plug didn't fail, only closed up the gap.

·
Premium Member
32,659 Posts
If the dealership installed the spark plug & they supplied the spark plug, as opposed to you supplying the spark plug, for them to install.
That could go in your favor.

I just checked with the Rockauto website to see what came on the 2014 Ram 2500 w/ 6.4L

AUTOLITE XP6003 Iridium-Enhanced Center Electrode; V-Trimmed Platinum Side Wire; 0.6mm Finewire Design
.043"/1.1mm; OE Style; with Dual Spark Plugs

That tells me that Autolite spark plugs are the correct plug manufacturer for your Ram

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ram,2014,2500,6.4l+v8,3307062,ignition,spark+plug,7212

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
How bad are the cylinder scratches? If not bad pull the head and have the valve and head fixed and put it back together and run till you get to your 200k limit and dump it. It will be a whole lot cheaper for you.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm calling shenanigans. This isnt adding up.

Describe the event that lead to the diagnosis of the failed spark plug.
Were you driving along, then suddenly got a misfire? Could you explain what happened leading up to the failure and what noises you heard, what lights came on the dash, etc?

Was the truck serviced at the dealer for its life? Did you change the spark plugs yourself - or is that what the service writer told you post mortum?

Autolites are not that great (even in fords), and it is possible for a damaged plug to fall apart, but unless you show me some pretty convincing evidence - this is highly highly unlikely. Almost fantasy.

Especially if your engine was running at speed when it failed, way more parts would be damaged in the process than just valves and scuffed cylinder walls. You'd also need an intake manifold - which doesnt come with the long block, and would of surely been factored in if this was legit.

I think they're full of shit - but I need to know what happened that made you bring it in to the shop.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Why would he need an intake manifold? I can see the plug ruining a cylinder, the head and valves and seats. I don't see pieces getting back up into the intake manifold and hurting it.

As far as who's covering it. Did you install the plugs? If so, you're out of luck and on the hook for paying. The dealer and plug maker will say you installed the plugs wrong. They'll say you pulled sideways with the socket cracking the porcelain which caused the failure later down the road.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Why would he need an intake manifold? I can see the plug ruining a cylinder, the head and valves and seats. I don't see pieces getting back up into the intake manifold and hurting it.
Im voting that the dealer is feeding him a bunch of lies and the damage is far less extensive - but lets say it did eat a piece of the spark plug, and he was also at highway speed, and it did enough damage to warrant an entire longblock.

I've seen the aftermath of a valve seat failure on a Ford CVH - its not pretty. And yes, metal goes everywhere when things get inside the engine and its spinning fast enough. Its not just bits of spark plug getting into the intake - its metal shavings from the valve, piston, cylinder wall, or whatever else that failed from smashing into the piece of debris at high speed.

Its not about damaging the intake manifold, its about those metal shavings and whatever else being sucked back into the new engine.

Or, if it makes you happier, I can screenshot the excerpt from the service manual stating that the intake manifold must be replaced in the event of catastrophic engine failure. If the dealer is recommending a long block (and they're not lying), it suffered a catastrophic failure.

<Edit> Here it is:
image (1).jpg

Or if the image isnt displaying:

"If the original engine has experienced a catastrophic failure or an individual failure with the piston, cylinder bore, engine block, valve, or valve seat, the intake manifold MUST be replaced with a new intake manifold"

</edit>

·
Registered
382 Posts
Been a long time mechanic and have seen plenty of engines damaged. I don't once recall an intake manifold being damaged. I'm not saying it shouldn't be cleaned and checked for debris but it just doesn't get damaged.

In his case it probably does need a long block if replaced at the dealer. It's rare to see dealers rebuild engines now a days. If it were mine and in my garage I'd pull the engine apart and assess the damage and if possible it would go to the machine shop. The dealer is picking the route that makes them the most money vs time.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Aren't Hemi Intakes plastic?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts