DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Dodge RAM 1500 ST Regular Cab that I bought used.
I'm need new tires and was wondering what brand and model tire came on it to start with.
Does any one know how I can find out?

When I bought it the wheels and tires that were on it were not the originals. It had after market aluminum wheels and larger tire size P265/70R17.

The labeling on the inside door jam specifies the original size but not the original brand\model. I actually have the original window sticker that says it came with P245/70R17 BSW All Season Tires. I have no idea what "BSW" means.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
BSW = Black Sidewall

No telling what brand/model they originally equipped the truck with. Even the build sheets don't list that information.

As long as you get a comparable size there won't be any problems.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
I replaced the tires once already after I bought the truck.
I bought BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A tires that rode smooth and handled well however; after 30,000 miles the tread is down to practically nothing. I've never seen a set of tires wear so fast.
Anyway, it's time to get something else and I was think about going with the OEM brand but I don't know what that was. I want something that will last and as far as looks go, I want something that has white letters. I was thinking about getting Goodyear Wrangler SR-A.

I also have a 2002 Dakota that I bought new. It came with Goodyear Eagle LS. I got 80,000 out of them before I had to replace them. Unfortunately, as far as I know, they don't make an Eagle LS in the size P265/70R17.
All opinions welcome.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have another question.
Does any one know what the largest tire size I can get under this truck with stock suspension (no lift kit)? If I have to upgrade my wheels I can do so.

·
Registered
14,008 Posts
I have another question.
Does any one know what the largest tire size I can get under this truck with stock suspension (no lift kit)? If I have to upgrade my wheels I can do so.
Discount Tire site will usually give you an ' Optional ' size button
after you list your year, make & model also they have a nice selection of wheels ;)

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireSearch.do;jsessionid=BB39606C9DD46B840FE8C723BB7EC98C.dtd202

Here is a great place to get more of the information you seek;
http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
The Goodyear tire that comes stock on our Rams is the cheapest thing that Ram could find
it is a Low Mileage tire that will spin out if it runs over a gob of spit in a corner

Because of complaints by owners, they have pretty much stop putting Goodyear Wrangler HP tires on the Rams

They are now putting Goodyear Wrangler SR-A tires on the Ram at the factory

If you go to the Discount Tire or Tire Rack websites, they rate the tires by mileage & stability
They also a vehicle fitment guide

You may also want to check out this thread from our members
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=52493

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
The OEM tire is trash, even the SRA is not anything to be proud of....it was the optional "performance/off road tire" for my truck back in 2003 and they were not in any way outstanding, my spare tire is still an SRA though lol!

Try out Falken if you want a really good but not stupid expensive tire, the Ziex 05 is a good on road sporty tire and the Wildpeak line are awesome, I'm running the HTs and they handle excellent on road and can work off road and in 4-5 inches of mud no problems.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
The last thing you want to do is buy any OEM tire, they are always cheap ass tires. Call Tire Rack and tell them what you are looking for in a tire or use their online tools.

Getting 30,000 miles from a set of tires doesn't seem that bad too me if they gave good traction. I always favor traction over life. I get 20,000 if I'm lucky on my sports car and 2,000 miles on my motorcycle rear tire (fronts go 4,000 as it doesn't touch the ground that much).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts