DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so wit in the last 3 months ive been chasing a issue im having with my truck its a 2000 dodge ram 1500 with the 5.9l magnum and i cant figure it out ill start with what is done them what the issue is then what i have tried so it has the Hughes intake manifold and big gulp throttle body on it and no mufflers it had high flow cats originally and bigger plugs and ignition coil and cold air intake. so the problem ... its jerking spitting and sputtering and just running like d!ck when under a load (in drive accelerating or at high speed 60-70mph) in neutral or park you can hold it at any rpm or rev it and it dosnt do it runs fine but when you put it in drive at idle its fine but when you take off from a light it will start sputtering and popping and the rpm is fluctuating 500-1000 rpm when it dose this some times just cruising it will do it but usually acceleration. now to fix it (or recent fixes in the last 3 months or so for other issues) has been * new computer, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, ignition coil, pressure test showed 50psi at the fuel rail with a snap on gauge, new injectors, new crank sensor, new "cam" sensor (the one under the cap), new main power wire to the fuse box, new ground wire to the battery. o and i for got to put that it dosnt throw a code but when it dose its random like one week it threw a code for cyl 6,7, missfire so i did plugs then it did 8,3, so i tried another set and another cap and rotor the it threw multiple miss fire cleared that one then a couple days later threw a ignition coil code so i changed that and now it wont throw a code but dose the same stuff... i think im just going crazy also checked the play in the crank the timing chain dosnt have more than a quarter inch of slop if that in it :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Seems like you covered most items for this problem. The only thing I don't see is a new distributor unit. Does it have the old style vacuum advance? Maybe vacuum leak?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
The only thing I don't see is a new distributor unit. Does it have the old style vacuum advance? Maybe vacuum leak?
He has a 2000! No vac advance.

You should check for vac leaks (even at to the intake manifold). Was the fuel sync checked? Do you have the 02's hooked up? How many miles on the motor? Did you do a compression test? Did you change anything that may have caused the issue or where the mods done before?

·
Registered
68 Posts
when the work was done are you sure you put the distributor in exactly the way it came out if it is even off a tooth will run fine at an idle but run like crap when you jump on it

·
Registered
322 Posts
It really sounds like a burnt or shorted ignition wire to me.
Try running it at night in the dark and see if you see any sparks or flashes around the spark plugs and wires.

I had a similar problem with a previous truck, and after new plugs and wires it still acted up. It turned out one of the new wires got burnt from laying on the manifold and was shorting out. It ran fine in neutral but had a major stumble under load.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts