DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall. Can someone help me out with installing what I need to be able to run a small microwave in my 16 2500.I have the receptacle for the 115v but it's not capable of running a small microwave. It is very handy for charging drill batteries when driving between job sites. I would really like to be able to heat up a Sammy or leftovers for lunch. I've never installed anything like this before. Hopefully you guy's can help me out if running a microwave is even possible. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
34,698 Posts
That's going to be too much draw for the 115, its designed for charging laptops and phones and stuff.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I would just pick up a gas camping stove. Tailgate party every day.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I understand that it's only a 150 watt factory installed inverter and I only use it for charging some batteries and other stuff. But I've never installed a power inverter. I wonder if it's possible to get the power from behind the stock 115 outlet and run it to the + - on the inverter. Or do I have to get to where the conection is at the stock inverter + and - . I'm not sure where the factory inverter is located. I bet I can mount the new inverter under the rear seat storage.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I certainly don't want to stand outside when it's twenty degrees in thirty mph winds and try and hea up some lunch. There's nothing like soup that's hot on the bottom and frozen on top. G

·
Super Moderator
34,698 Posts
I certainly don't want to stand outside when it's twenty degrees in thirty mph winds and try and hea up some lunch. There's nothing like soup that's hot on the bottom and frozen on top. G
Thermos?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts

You will have to get a more capable inverter, some heavy gauge wire and a direct connection to the battery. You could also run a gas generator from the bed of the pick up and run a line into the cab of the truck, similar to what was done in the picture.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Or wrap your sandwich in foil, stick it on top of the Hemi and by the time you get to where you're going it's nice and toasty warm!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Or wrap your sandwich in foil, stick it on top of the Hemi and by the time you get to where you're going it's nice and toasty warm!
This is what I do!!!! Cant beat it just remember to put it on when u start your truck and then ya can check your oil too. Your tummy will let you know when to take it off.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok I get it. It's my own fault for posting I want my hemi to cook. Silly me for trying to use a play on words (a pun ) the next hillbilly that tells me how to cook on my engine, bake a potato in my exhaust or tells me which hasn't been said yet ( just buy a fifth mile extention cord and plug it in before you leave home ) has anyone ever installed a larger power inverter in their dodge ram. Because the real reason for the larger inverter is . I don't really like the way my radio sounds and I was thinking of installing my home stereo system in my truck. Lol lol lol.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Never installed one but I have thought about it. There are tons of choices if you do some google searches. I was thinking of about 2000 watts with a pure sinewave type.
I do know it's important to properly size your cables feeding the inverter and i'm sure whatever you bought would specify that and also proper fusing at the source.
You would most likely want to mount it in the bed I would think. Not sure what issues you might get into putting it inside the cab. Heat and clearances perhaps?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks this is certainly going to take some more research. I'd like to just replace the 150 factory with a 1000 w. I sure I'll have to increase wire guage. Please if anyone has done this hit me up. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
239 Posts
A 1500 watt modified sine wave inverter such as this would do.

http://www.costco.com/PowerBright-1500-Watt-12-Volt-Power-Inverter.product.11540218.html

Just be sure to use a compact microwave limited to 800 watts or less. I would consider upgrading the battery to a gel-cell deep cycle so you don't get any surprises when you go to start your truck.

The biggest mistake I've observed is improper wiring of the inverter. Has to be directly wired to the battery with circuit protection such as a mega-fuse and holder mounted close to the battery + terminal. The wire gauge from the battery to the inverter is critical! Make sure it's heavy enough, has good quality terminals, and heat-shrinked at the ends to prevent deterioration. I wouldn't bother with the dash receptacle, likely it's not heavy enough. Leave it for charging batteries. Placement of the inverter is another consideration. Most are designed to be out of the elements.

Good reading at Samlax America. Good luck.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Back in the day when I was a landscaper the workers would put their lunch on the intake manifold of the engine before leaving for the job site. That 460 Ford V8 had lots of room to heat a meal...lol

1 - 20 of 45 Posts