DODGE RAM FORUM banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Sure it can be done. Just keep in mind what you are asking for. Watts are volts x amps. For a 1200 watt micro like the one at my house you would have a 100 amp draw at 12 volts. A properly wired convertor will do it but you will probably want the truck running while you are cooking because even a small micro is going to require large amperages from the truck.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yeah got it I'm not too keen on the mathematics of electricity but I have a good 600 microwave. I'm not sure of the spec but I've seen others run the same setup elsewhere. My real curiosity is can I install it using the factory inverter wiring. I know it's only a 150 watt. And a 1000 watt inverter is substantial more.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Yeah got it I'm not too keen on the mathematics of electricity but I have a good 600 microwave. I'm not sure of the spec but I've seen others run the same setup elsewhere. My real curiosity is can I install it using the factory inverter wiring. I know it's only a 150 watt. And a 1000 watt inverter is substantial more.
No way, you need almost 10x the capability of the stock set up. I would mount a new inverter under the hood keeping large cable runs as short as possible. Run lighter 120v wire into the cab or back to the bed from the inverter for your outlets.

The wiring for the stock set up is way undersized for your needs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks much more research needed. Looks like my dream to be a traveling chef is going up in smoke (pun). I've been thinking about mounting the inverter in my toolbox. Then coming through the cab with a receptacle and putting some water resistant outlets on my toolbox for some power tools. I.e drill.jigsaw,battery charger ect. I will more than likely have to run a second battery setup. Also seen some guys doing that. This endeavor is probably going to get a little costly but liking the idea. All of you gear heads just imagine pulling out your electric half inch impact driver to change a tire or work on your atv,sand rail,boat,trailer, tractor, Comercial mower. I'd love that. Not to mention cook some lunch in the microwave while doing it. I think some of the ram trucks should have an inverter 1000 watts or better from the factory.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
The further you mount it from the batteries the more heavy battery cable sized line you will have to run. Running light gauge 120V wiring will be much easier and less expensive. Making it weather tight shouldn't be very difficult, there are plenty of home fixtures that fit that bill.

You should search some of the expedition websites as these set ups are quite common with those folks. I think you are on the right track though and it is completely do-able.

Dual batteries, high output alternator (200 amp min), oversize your inverter wattage needs by about 30% and wire that baby up!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hey thanks mountain ram best advice so far. I didn't think of looking at some expedition sites. Thanks for not giving me advice on how to cook rock mountain osters in a dirty sock on my catalytic converter.

·
Registered
183 Posts
A Rolls Royce has a built in microwave oven. You just need a sawzall and convert the rear into a pickup bed. Why screw around with wires and such. This is an easier way to do it.

-John

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
As an avid snowmobile rider we have what are known as muff pots. A little tin box you fasten to your sleds muffler to cook your food while you ride. Never had one of these, seems pretty nasty really but they are popular.

Food from your microwave I would eat. Food cooked on the exhaust is something I avoid at all costs...

·
Registered
584 Posts
Your inverter should have receptacles built into it.
Just run directly to your battery with the correct size cable.
I'm guessing minimum of 2/0. Welding cable is not to badly priced if you
go to the right place and very flexible.
Mount it in your toolbox and cut an adequate hole to run extension cord directly
into it. They make a grommet for that.
This is what I would do. MHO.

·
Registered
815 Posts
The wiring for the ingerted 150 watt is minimal all of that plus the plug would have to be replaced a small microwave cooks at 1000 watts but actually pulls arouns 2200 watts

·
Super Moderator
34,698 Posts
You could carry a genny in the bed and run a cable

·
Registered
814 Posts
My cooking experience is fairly limited to things with buttons so this may or may not be a good idea, I always though toaster ovens take less current than microwaves....would the current draw of a small toaster oven run from an inverter do that job in question? It would still heat up sandwiches, burgers, and soups and such....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I can smell the burgers now yummy. I think my truck is going to smell like a roach coach. Thanks for the toaster oven that never even crossed my mind. Damn grilled ham and cheese wow. Now I'm hoping winter sticks around for a couple more months. Did I just say somebody smack me.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Sack up and eat cold Bologna samewitches with luke warm black coffee like we did when construction workers were men.
Jk :)

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
My cooking experience is fairly limited to things with buttons so this may or may not be a good idea, I always though toaster ovens take less current than microwaves....would the current draw of a small toaster oven run from an inverter do that job in question? It would still heat up sandwiches, burgers, and soups and such....
Even a small toaster oven is going to draw over 1000 watts.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Even a small toaster oven is going to draw over 1000 watts.
our headlight bulbs draw around 60-70 watts each, so with all 4 lights on you are pulling 300 watts on headlamp bulbs alone. I don't see how 1000 watts from an inverter when the car is idling would hurt all that much?

edit, I see the issue here, will need a direct connection to the battery and frame for that to work.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts