DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short I was wiring something up and a made a mistake. I tapped into a pink with green stripe wire under the steering column and now my service 4x4 light and my traction control lights its are on. The truck runs fine other than the fact I can not switch it into 4x4.

Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Could also try disconnecting the batter to reset the computer.... Maybe it got a signal it didnt understand and is holding the code. Could also check for codes and reset with a scanner to see if it comes back.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
If still tapped into that wire, remove the connection and return to original.
These vehicles canbus system "watch" the load/draws on wiring.
Check for blown fuses.
Reset the vehicle by disconnectiing the battery.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Long story short I was wiring something up and a made a mistake. I tapped into a pink with green stripe wire under the steering column and now my service 4x4 light and my traction control lights its are on. The truck runs fine other than the fact I can not switch it into 4x4.

Does anyone have any ideas?
What did you try to power with this circuit So i have an idea as to what kind of load you've placed on the circuit?

This circuit is an Ignition activated 20A Fused Output from the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Unit) or traditionally, "Fuse Box" Under the hood.
It supplies the Drive Train Control Module, Transfer case (4X4) selector switch with the necessary power to function the 4X4 system.

Check the 20A Fuse, M15 in the TIPM under the hood. Replace if blown and re-check.

Unhook anything you've tied into that circuit under the steering column. When installing accessories, always used a fused accessory output from the TIPM or an auxiliary relay that is protected (Fused). Do not tie into circuits just because they show 12V or Ground on newer electronically controlled vehicles. It can wreak Havoc and cause headaches as you're experiencing now. See attached schematic for applicable circuits for the 4X4 control system.

If you have any other questions let me know.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chris,
I apologize for the lateness of this reply, I know you sent me some info about fixing my wiring mistake back in November. I was out of town for a while and my truck is still in the same state. I will try out what you suggested and see if it works.

To give you more details, I wired in a 12v compressor to an air tank in the bed. It actually worked fine for about 6 months but I needed to disconnect the wiring to fix an unrelated issue. When I went to put it back I ****ed up and sent the power coming straight from the battery back down the turn on lead to the relay, which is where I tapped into this wire. I know I should always disconnect the battery when wiring anything, but im sort of an idiot so I didn't.

Thanks again for the input. I will give it a shot this weekend if the weather cooperates.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts