DODGE RAM FORUM banner

I Think I've Made My Choice

817 4
I have to buy a new pickup. (I know, it's tough!) We have a small farm, and hauling sheep and hay in the SUV just isn't going to cut it anymore. I have been agonizing between the Silverado LTZ and Ram Laramie Quad.

I wanted the Silverado. I figured it was as state of the art as it could be, and really like the mileage figures people seem to be getting. Then, I went to drive one. It drove well - a little bumpy, but it's a pickup. I took my wife to see them, and the first thing she said was, "You look like Ziggy peering over the steering wheel." I'm about 5'7", and the sitting position in the Silverado was very low - so low, that visibility suffered.

Then we went to drive a Ram. Wow. You sit up in it, and you can see the world. We started it up, and the sound. Even my wife, who is not a truck girl, said it sounded much better. That hemi just sings.

The pricing seems about equal, once the extra of the air suspension is figured in. Maybe the Ram comes out a little more expensive, but I'm hoping for a good deal.

Now the question - I will be hauling a stock trailer (about 6500 pounds, loaded) and really want the air suspension. Do you guys think these will last for the long haul (pun intended)? For those who have it, was it worth the extra money?

Thanks. There are not a lot of Laramies available, so I guess I'll be ordering. I'll have questions about that, if you will be patient with me, but they can wait until later.

Dave
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
359 Posts
I had the same experience that you did... although, I have owned 3 Dodge trucks and only a Chevy Tahoe LT. The Chevy LTZ was not nearly as nice inside as the Ram Laramie (or even the Sport). It did not drive or ride nearly as well.

I got the air suspension - I thought it rode a little nicer, but like you I'm wondering about longevity (I keep a truck for a LONG time).

What's really nice about it:

1. Self-leveling. Hauled an 8x12 trailer with a chord of wood... as I'm filling the trailer, I hear the suspension adjusting. The goofy trailer has way too much tongue weight, but the Ram adjusted - and the ride was still AWESOME

2. Entry/Exit mode - not for me to get in (I'm 6'1"). But for trailer hookup. Backed the same trailer into the garage... odd angle (trailer level, truck running downhill) made it difficult to jack the trailer up high enough to unhook. Hit the key fob and lowered to Entry Exit mode. COOL.

#2 will also work great for my 24' enclosed snowmobile trailer (it goes about 7000 lbs when full)... I cannot tell you how many times I've backed up to it in a freekin' snow storm to find the trailer hitch too high to hook up - 3 or 4 guys standing on the rear bumper trying to get the a$$ end low enough go under the tongue. Now I can LOWER the truck!

I figure I'll get an extended warranty if there are issues - but big trucks have been running airbags for many years. Why not 1/2 tons?

Do yourself a favor and get the keyless enter-n-go. I like that more than I thought I would.

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Those are good points about the air suspension, and a really good idea in getting the extended warranty for it. Like you, I intend to keep this truck for a long time.

Did you buy your 2014 off the lot, or order it? I have not been able to find a lot of Laramies around - lots of Big Horns, but no Laramies.

· Registered
359 Posts
Those are good points about the air suspension, and a really good idea in getting the extended warranty for it. Like you, I intend to keep this truck for a long time.

Did you buy your 2014 off the lot, or order it? I have not been able to find a lot of Laramies around - lots of Big Horns, but no Laramies.
I was looking in August... drove some 13's, but couldn't find exactly what I wanted.... so I ordered a '14 on 8/19 and was driving it about a month later.

I noticed where you're located (in the mtns I assume)... I would also recommend the 3.92 rear over the 3.21. I'm sure the faster rear would get better mpg where it's flat, but it would likely hunt a lot more where you live. I have the 3.92s and can run 70+ on the interstate here and even on the steepest hills it downshifts to 7th only.

· Registered
170 Posts
I work with the guys who did the r and d tests on the air suspension, one truck was shook nearly apart on a shaker and the other was given the salt bath corrosion test....neither truck had an air suspension failure. The guys swear the material in the bags is semi truck comparable! my new one is coming with air and I haul a 9000 lb enclosed trailer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.