DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 09 1500. I do not have LSD. I understand LSD switches the power to the tire with more traction when on tire slips. My truck is a 4x4. I have herd it is better to have LSD when off roading. My truck for the life of it will not spin the left tire, only the right in 2wd i dont know about 4wd or how the diff works in or out of 4wd. I just need some explination on what it is my truck does in the different wheel drives. Also i want to be able to lay duel black marks. What are my options as far as this goes. I know it can cause problems being locked like that around corners. So do i have any good options at a reasonable price or im i looking at a grand or more?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
my 08 was the same always had a bald right tire:D...i had a trx4 which was suppose to have an lsd but it didnt, my 11 did come with it though. truthfully you are way better off going aftermarket, i know alot of guys that love the Detroit true trac

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my 08 was the same always had a bald right tire:D...i had a trx4 which was suppose to have an lsd but it didnt, my 11 did come with it though. truthfully you are way better off going aftermarket, i know alot of guys that love the Detroit true trac
That's what i discovered after days of research and it allows the inner axle to slip when going around corners so that is awesome.

·
Registered
418 Posts
truthfully you are way better off going aftermarket, i know alot of guys that love the Detroit true trac
x2. From what I understand, aftermarket is way better, especially for off road. The LSD from the factory is just that - LIMITED slip - so you can still get wheel slip. I'd actually like to get a real locking system installed in mine, instead of the factory limited slip. But for the moment, I'm like the OP - open differential. Oh well. At some point I'll be able to upgrade it

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
I suggest that you send off for a BUILD SHEET
it has about 3 times the information that the window sticker has
it will only take about a week to get it

you only need your VIN# & mileage when you call
Look at CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE
http://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/dodge/index.jsp

your front differential should not be engaged on solid surfaces, it is ok to have it engaged on snow & ice & off road

your rear differential if it is an OPEN, will almost always spin the right rear tire
if you are in mud or snow & only your right rear is spinning & you are not going any where, applying a bit of pressure on the brake pedal will slow the right side down & transfer some weight & therefore traction to the left rear wheel & this is how we did it back before LSD was a common thing

Of course LSD would be a great upgrade & i will have it on my next vehicle
i will also have a 3.92 rear differential

with a 4X4 both differentials have to be the same gear ratio

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I suggest that you send off for a BUILD SHEET
it has about 3 times the information that the window sticker has
it will only take about a week to get it

you only need your VIN# & mileage when you call
Look at CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE
http://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/dodge/index.jsp

your front differential should not be engaged on solid surfaces, it is ok to have it engaged on snow & ice & off road

your rear differential if it is an OPEN, will almost always spin the right rear tire
if you are in mud or snow & only your right rear is spinning & you are not going any where, applying a bit of pressure on the brake pedal will slow the right side down & transfer some weight & therefore traction to the left rear wheel & this is how we did it back before LSD was a common thing

Of course LSD would be a great upgrade & i will have it on my next vehicle
i will also have a 3.92 rear differential

with a 4X4 both differentials have to be the same gear ratio
i have a build sheet and it says nothing about LSD.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a 3.92 lsd. I can lay dual black marks all day, but it only two legs in 4x4. Any way around that without buying an aftermarket locker? I will eventually get a locker, just not in the budget right now.

- Christopher

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
if you have an st you probably just have an open diff, dodge seems to put the lsd in as few as possible haha
The ST I purchased did not have the LSD and I found out with my first one wheel peel that I did not like not having it. Fortunately the factory parts are now available and I just picked up my truck today after having the dealer install the LSD carrier. My truck has a whole new driving feel on the slick roads.:smileup:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I have been taking advantage of the free tire rotations that came with my Goodyears. I have had them rotated twice in 10k miles due to my excessive one wheel peel. Now I may go back to a more normal rotation schedule.

·
Registered
398 Posts
The other day I was parking a small trailer in my back yard.
I went to pull ahead and was stuck in 1" of snow. One front and one rear spinning.
I was in 4L. This turns off TC. I put it in 4H and I could now drive away.
I think this is because the TC applied brake to the spinning rear wheel.
Owners manual says 4L is for low traction situations, but maybe that's not always right.

My employer just ordered me a new work truck. (Silverado 3500 4wd ) It has a standard auto locking rear differential.
Why doesn't Ram offer this?

·
Registered
717 Posts
The other day I was parking a small trailer in my back yard.
I went to pull ahead and was stuck in 1" of snow. One front and one rear spinning.
I was in 4L. This turns off TC. I put it in 4H and I could now drive away.
I think this is because the TC applied brake to the spinning rear wheel.
Owners manual says 4L is for low traction situations, but maybe that's not always right.

My employer just ordered me a new work truck. (Silverado 3500 4wd ) It has a standard auto locking rear differential.
Why doesn't Ram offer this?
The power wagon does have electronic LSD.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the Power Wagon is LSD fulltime with electronic selectable full lock. It's unfortunate that this is the ONLY locker currently available for the AAM 10.5".

·
Registered
717 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the Power Wagon is LSD fulltime with electronic selectable full lock. It's unfortunate that this is the ONLY locker currently available for the AAM 10.5".
Here are the LSDs I had put in my 2500. The one my hand is on is a Eaton Truetrac for the front. The larger one is an OEM LSD, similar to the Truetrac, that is NOT electronically controlled (thank God). Yes, locker options for the 10.5" AAM axle are few and far between.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts