DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2012 Express 1500.... The dealer had to bring in a truck to get what I wanted..., well almost what I wanted! The only thing that was missing was the trailer brake package. They said they would add the controller, with the understanding that I still wouldn't have the EIV center on my dash, which I could live with. Today, after leaving the truck with them to install the controller, they called and said they can't add the factory one, it will have to be an aftermarket one. I told them to wait and got my truck back till I can figure out what to do. I read the thread on how to add the factory controller to a truck like mine, but that read more like a person who is going to add one, not something a dealer is going to do. Is there a factory fix/update to solve this? If I let them put an aftermarket one on it, what about my lifetime maxcare warranty? I assume it would not be covered since it is not factory equipment. I've already gotten a line-x bedliner and undercoating, so swapping trucks isn't an option. I can't fathom that Dodge would build a truck that it is IMPOSSIBLE to add the factory controller to, I mean it is a truck and I'm going to use it to pull stuff... Any ideas or suggestions, I am very frustrated with this whole situation!! Earl

·
Registered
148 Posts
For some reason, they have chosen not to have the wiring available for the Integrated Trailer Brake Controller on all the trucks. I was fortunate and I had the two plugs available on mine that allows it, and I installed it myself in a matter of minutes. Lots of talk of this here in various threads, not sure if you can make the factory one work without the plugs and a whole lot of wiring...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am in the same boat as your are and have been jumping through hoops between the dealer and Chrysler and have gotten nowhere. My truck came with the tow package but still only one harness. I want them rewire to the dual harness but either because of time or money they are very reluctant. The service manager told me they would have to repace all the wiring in behind the steering column. I'm not sure i'm buying what there selling. Good luck! If you get them to do it let me know so I can pressure my dealer so more. Thanks! Ed

·
Registered
698 Posts
vikings, just to clarify, does your truck have the EVIC display? Part of this is being discussed on another current thread here concerning whether the factory controller will work without EVIC. I haven't seen the factory controller in hand. I know it has the standard 4-pin connector that controls all the basic trailer brake functions, but does it have enough display or indicator light function to let you use it without EVIC display?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My truck doesn't have the EVIC display. The factory controller on my 2011 2500 Ram has the setting on the controller itself, along with the EVIC, so I assume the factory controller for the 2012 would be similer, with settings on the controller itself so the EVIC isn't needed, just nice to have. UPDATE.... I called Ram customer service today, the guy said that this is a common problem, and as of now if your truck isn't wired for the factory controller, than it can't be put on as there is no retrofit or adapter availible. I asked if an aftermarket controller would be covered under my Maxcare lifetime warranty I purchased, and was told if my selling dealership wrote up a statement that the factory controller was unavailible and could not be installed due to wiring issues that the aftermarket controller the dealer installs WILL be covered by my Maxcare lifetime warranty. The dealer wrote me a statement, and will be installing it later this week. I will update more when this is done, hope this helps someone out there! earl

1 - 5 of 5 Posts