DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am truly considering taking my Harley 3 wheeler with me in July, from San Diego to Connecticut, then up to Toronto & back to San San Diego.
It is about a 7,700 mile trip
The bed is wider than the my HD Trike, so there will not be any overhang
The weight will be be over the recommended Tare weight
It will also be about 18" longer than the bed, center of the front wheel to center of the rear wheels is about 8', so i can legally do it because i could go up the 3 foot beyond the tailgate without going over length.

I am thinking air bags to keep it fairly level

I don't care about gas mileage, i just want to have the trike when i get back there

Any suggestions will be appreciated
No a trailer is not an option at this time

The front wheel will be near the rear window, unless i take off the sign rack & i don't really want to do that

·
Registered
487 Posts
Sounds like a nice trip.

Not sure what you mean when you say "The weight will be be over the recommended Tare weight" Tare weight is the weight of the vehicle unloaded.

As for the air bags they are fine to help level the truck. They don't increase your carrying capacity however.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
You might have to consider trading in your truck for a 2500. Although the truck is likely going to handle this over capacity, if something goes wrong there could be some very negative insurance issues. :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
698 Posts
GT, I'm a motorcycle guy too, and I gotta ask...how the heck do you load that thing? Do you have some ramps and a winch? Just loading a dirtbike into the tall bed of even a standard 1/2 ton pick anymore is a real task. I'm betting you have a winch or such. I'm using airbags on my '12 Express, and they work darned well. How heavy is your trike? I see some very heavy ATV/UTV's carried in the beds of 1/2 ton pickups without too much drama.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts