DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
1999 5.2 STD 2Door Crew Cab
Discussion Starter #1
All the sudden 99 5.2 doesn't want to start. Came out of Walmart truck started right up but sounded like 馃挬,died started again same thing. Was going to get out & look under the hood but it was raining so I slammed the door to find my poncho tried to start it again and fired right up and ran like nothing ever happened. Got home and hasn't started since. Changed relays around and checked fuses no change. Was wondering if being able to remove the ignition key from the lock cylinder while in the run position could be a gateway problem to the no start problem now. Had truck for about a year now and been able to remove key whole time also steering wheel doesn't lock most of the time and the PRND21 indicator doesn't lineup just right. Thanks in advance for any help/info.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it cranks but no start and yes it goes through the different lights on the cluster. I do hear some of the relays under the hood clicking some of the time but can't hear fuel pump. I have had check engine light on since I've had truck with a P0443 code cleared it once but came right back on. Thanks for any info or advice.

Registered
Yes it cranks but no start and yes it goes through the different lights on the cluster. I do hear some of the relays under the hood clicking some of the time but can't hear fuel pump. I have had check engine light on since I've had truck with a P0443 code cleared it once but came right back on. Thanks for any info or advice.
Hello SandShels,
Sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you are unable to remedy this concern with the assistance of fellow forum members, I kindly suggest connecting with your dealer. If you are in need of any assistance with that process, please feel free to send us a private message.
Laura
RamCares

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Does it turn over or not? Do you have lights on in the instrument cluster?
Does it turn over or not? Do you have lights on in the instrument cluster?
1st I apologise, thought I replied but don't guess I did it right so I'll try 1 more time.
Yes sir it cranks just no start and yes have lights on cluster. Can't hear the fuel pump active and can hear some of the relays under the hood clicking sometimes not all the time.

Registered
Cranks but no start could be a lot of things. The P0443 code is for the evap circuit and I do not think it will prevent the truck from starting. Have you checked for any new codes? I believe there is a valve on the left/drivers side of the engine that you can press to see of you have fuel rail pressure. Oops, I just remembered that you have a 99, does it haave the fuel injectioh or does it have the throttle body injection? Do you have a distributor or coil packs for spark?

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
It's fuel injection and has a distributor. I'm outside attempting to figure something out and decided to take a look at the bottom side of the PCM. Wow someone has made at least one splice and not sure about another along with what seems to be part of the positive battery cable that turns into a connector with the other side running to the bottom side of the p莽m to the starter motor relay I think, either way I took pictures and hope you can shine some light on the problem. Thanks
IMG_20200215_141138710.jpg
IMG_20200215_141321221.jpg
IMG_20200215_141413417_HDR.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Cranks but no start could be a lot of things. The P0443 code is for the evap circuit and I do not think it will prevent the truck from starting. Have you checked for any new codes? I believe there is a valve on the left/drivers side of the engine that you can press to see of you have fuel rail pressure. Oops, I just remembered that you have a 99, does it haave the fuel injectioh or does it have the throttle body injection? Do you have a distributor or coil packs for spark?

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Also found this on the bottom side of the steering column

Registered
That looks like a factory splice, I have seen them like that before. I really don't see anything wrong with the wiring, but it is hard to troubleshoot from pictures. Have you checked to see if you are getting spark at the plugs? Have you pulled a plug after trying to start is to see if it is wet with gas? Have you tried spraying starting fluid into the intake when trying to start it? Have you checked for any new codes?

Registered
I have a 95 5.2. For the last couple years or so it has a hard time starting whenever it rains/foggy/high humidity. You said the first time it happened it was raining. I don't even pretend to be a mechanic, but I would take a look at moisture issues in the distributor. My old Dodge is no longer a daily driver since I have another truck(not a Dodge) so it's not an issue for me. I just wait for the weather to dry up and the old girl (270 K) fires right up. Good luck and report back what you find.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts