DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2013 Ram 1500. I’m getting the key in ignition and then wrong fob message. I’ve changed the battery in the fob, I’ve disconnected my battery cable and left them off for over 24 hours. Nothing. I don’t have push to start button. Just the Ram ignition that cranks off of the fob by turning the key. No remote buttons work. I put my chip in a different fob housing and it still does the same thing. Inside lights work, chimes work, headlights work. Radio display doesn’t come on. Hvac doesn’t work.I took the steering wheel cover off and put the truck in neutral by hitting the transmission column override switch. Nothing. I’ve checked my fuses and relay and they are fine. I’ve wiggled wires. I’ve put a salvaged WIN (ignition) module in. Nothing. I’ve done everything the old forums have asked to do. My questions are
1. Can you even put a different ignition, otherwise known as WIN module in that matches the same year model truck without having to reprogram anything? I got a used WIN module and the fob that came with it. Doesn’t work.
2. I rigged up a push button start so that the truck will turn over atleast. I’m not talking about a dodge push button start. I’m talking about a old tractor type push button. The truck will turn over now. Tries to crank. Doesn’t though. Even with the factory fob in all it does is turn over. Is my fob screwed? This is my only fob. Truck is just sitting. Pls any suggestions would be helpful. The biggest question I have, can I just put a different ignition in without having to program anything

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve been told you do and I’ve been told you don’t. I’m not a mechanic by any means but I do my own work. I’ve been told two different things. I feel like the Fob would have to match the ignition module that came with the truck. I think trying to avoid the dealership with this problem is going to be impossible. Thx

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Just had my FOB for my 2012 go south. said if I had 2 good ones I could program a new one. Wrong. I had to get the PIN for my truck from Dodge dealer. Your WIN module if changed will have to be programed to your truck with a scan tool and PIN#. Being you have a 2013 I am going to say you need to have new FOB programed with a scan tool also. My buttons died on the remote but key part still worked to start truck on mine. But the rest of the FOB board was dead.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had no working buttons either for the past year or so yet the key would crank the truck on mine also. I noticed while playing with things last night that I could here a slight sound in the ignition switch. Kind of like something was trying to move in the ignition but couldn’t. I’m glad to hear from someone who has the same exact thing gone on. So where did you get the ignition and does the ignition have to be brand new? Are they like FOBs? Being that once programmed they cannot be reprogrammed. Id like to get a new ignition so let me know where you got the ignition and is it brand new? One more question. Can you take the ignition to have it programmed without the whole truck being there. Bc that would need a tow truck. Thank you my friend

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an update. I have the dodge dealership getting the answers to my questions. This guy had to get with that guy and when they get a 100% positive answer I’ll post back.
1.) can you reprogram a used ignition if I were to salvage one. Note: I sent the used fob and ignition back to the eBay seller. I didn’t want to get stuck with the used one seeings how a new ignition is only $89.99 and their return policy is 30 days. I will report back however on if a used one can be reprogrammed. He said he’s fairly certain that they’ve had some problems with reprogramming used key Fobs. I wouldn’t buy a used fob. Why take the risk boys?
2.) If I buy the same ignition and fob can you guys, the dodge dealership, atleast program the new ignition without the truck being towed there. If my old key fob is ok I don’t want to have my truck towed there just to program the new key fob if my old key fob will crank the truck with the new reprogrammed ignition. Stay tuned Bc that’s all I can do at this point. Cheers boys

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just an update. From what i know this part needs to be new and unused. My ignition(WIN) part number is 56046942ad. Everyone I’ve contacted doesn’t have it and do not have a ETA on it. It is on back order says Mopar dealer. Amazon shows a few guys who appear to have it but once contacted it turns out they don’t. I’m reaching out again to say if anyone knows anybody who has one let me know. I’ve searched high and low. Thx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts