DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really excited to have this done! I was quoted a price of $2300-$2500 for any color, Line-X Xtra with kevlar, and premium topcoat. I called a Line-X dealer 30 miles away and was quoted $3000. Both places will need my truck for a week. I'm still leaning towards black, but something crazy like bright orange or yellow isn't out of the question. I also thought about having it chrome wrapped, but I think that's going too far :) So what color (if any) should I get?? I'd like something that stands out. maybe even a 2 tone. Thoughts or opinions?? I'm going to give them a camera and ask if they will document the process. Here's a picture of what it looks like now:

ram tint 3 by nitrox28, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Your a brave man. That truck looks way too nice to linex it.
But if your set on doing it I would stick with black. I know the colors used to fade real bad.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What would those be Hunter? I'm just tired of washing and waxing it and worrying about it getting scratched and dinged. Plus, I like the look of it (I think) and I don't know of any other 4th gen that's had this done.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Line-X doesnt fade nearly as bad as it used too. I remeber when white turned to avacado/baby shit green in a year or two and the other colors turned ashy. That said I dont see a real advantage to line-x on the whole vehicle. Bed-yes, lower doors and rockers-yes, front lip of hood even-yes. Whole vehicle-NO. Not only are you going to add about 50lbs of permanent weight to the vehicle, you are going to severly disrupt the laminar air flow properties of the vehicle and probably loose several MPG. You will retain alot more heat in the vehicle, especially under hood (unless you live in Alaska or Minnisota this is bad). You will make any futer repairs (think fender bender) alot more dificult and expensive to repair and match. Finnaly you will never be able to truly keep it clean, the textured surface is a a magnet for dirt and hard as hell to clean out (though, admitedly it can be done).

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I agree with everyone else above. It sounds like a bad idea to do the entire truck. If you're worried about dings, small dents, and washing and waxing get it done in primer or a flat black. Both are very easy to match for touch ups.

If you insist on going this route, more power to you. Go with black, and keep it simple.

I also believe that if you Line-X your entire truck you'll have a real hard time with resell in both value and finding someone interested (outside of the hard core 4X4 market).

Exco

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
If you can, either try and see a whole Line X'd vehicle up close n' personal or get someone with good Photoshop skills to shop yours to see what it would look like.

Many months ago, I saw a late model Chevy Silverado 1500 that was completely Line X'd from head-to-toe. It was parked outside a strip mall so I got to look at it really well. Now I'd seen them on the internet and my feelings were mixed as to yes or no. When I saw it in person, I was far from impressed. It has a very dull and bland appearence to it.

Remember it's pretty much like a tatoo. Once you get it done, you're gonna' be paying more to have it reversed once the honeymoon's over.... and, as us married guys will tell you, it's almost always over pretty soon.

Your truck looks great as is; and I can think of many [MANY] other productive ways to spend almost $3K [appearence and/or performance].

At the day's end, it's your truck and your money so, by all means, do as you please.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The fact that no one seems to see this as a good idea is what makes it a great idea. Cleaning will be easy. PRESSURE WASHER. No wax. No chips. Airflow? Damn, there goes your NASCAR dream win with a truck. Gas mileage? Doubt that it will be enough to matter. Color match for repairs should be of little concern but you can always have a light coat shot over bigger area or another topcoat shot over whole truck. Spray liner is cheap and easy to repair that's why most have a lifetime warranty. I am looking forward to your finished product. BLACK ONLY! too much trouble with the colors.

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Man, I love your truck as is, but if you are gonna do it, then do it in Blue. They can color match our Blue, and I have seen their color blue. My dad has the floor of his boat done in it and it looks awesome after 5 years of salt water and fishing abuse. Just make sure you pop for their top-coat and it will look amazing for years. Some places will even clear-coat it for you to give it a nice shine.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
OMFG GUYS!!! STOP TRYING TO TALK HIM OUT OF THIS. I WANT TO SEE THIS SO BAD... Seriously, I want to see this done on a 4th gen bad now! Do it a nice black IMO, either that or color match to a gunmetal grey... Make sure to get the premium coat like states above...

Would I do this? For gods sakes no... Do I want you to do this? HELL YES I DO. So I can literally look at the pictures for all of 10 seconds, and go "Huh, so that's what my truck would look like with that done" then move on with my life. LOL

·
Registered
43 Posts
I wouldn't go with line x, and that price is redonkulous. Check out Raptor brand liner, I would be willing to bet you could do it yourself for less than 500 bucks, and have a much better looking end result. The raptor is more of an orange peel than a tough grit. I have seen it done in many Jeeps amd it always looks better than the rest.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Would I do this? For gods sakes no... Do I want you to do this? HELL YES I DO. So I can literally look at the pictures for all of 10 seconds, and go "Huh, so that's what my truck would look like with that done" then move on with my life. LOL
:LOL: exactly what I was thinking

OP - I like the ideal, go for it
No buffing and waxing, no worrying about rocks, no worrying about scratchs
Damn, what other reasons do you need???

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
DO IT. First and foremost its YOUR truck so do what you want to do.

With that said folks, its s truck and face it, its not bought for gas mileage. Granted they do better than the old gen rams. Dings and dents will be less as it is a thick coat. The new line x has a Uv protectant that protects from fading so don't worry bout it. Ive been considering it myself. And idk if you have hail where your at, but this would eliminate hail damage.

I say go for it!!!!

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Oh and I hope you intend keeping it for life, otherwise re-sale's gonna' be a biatch!

Takes a very specific buyer....

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
+1 I am interested to.see what this would look like myself.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I saw a picture of a lifted GMC once with it and thought it looked great! It was Black. I like the look of flat black on vehicles, but would be interesting maybe to see a bright blue. Post pics when you get it done!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like we're about 50/50! Great. LOL. THANKS for everyone's input! Yes, I plan on keeping it for a long long time. I see a new Corvette or older, gently used Ferrari in my 5 year outlook :) My Ram will stay around as a kid hauler and everyday driver. So I guess black it is. I'm excited and scared at the same time. My wife thinks I'm crazy, and my 2 little boys think it's the best idea in the history of humanity.

1 - 20 of 186 Posts