DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie SLT V8, 2 owner's previous to me, new transmission 70k ago, new fuel pump last year, everything works, well taken care of. Well I bought it 2 months ago and I want to keep it great and dont know much, well anyhoo 2 weeks ago it was being driven by a friend at 55 miles an hour was downshifted, back to drive, then down shifted again, since then it has died quite a few times only when going from park, to reverse, to drive and acts like it doesnt want to shift getting to 4th gear. I was told that could just be idle control valve and can just take it out and clean it. 2 days ago it started dinging and the lever on the oil emblem above the dash will drop to 0 and then ding and then shoot back up, I checked my oil. It was bone dry, I put more oil in it and checked and then it was way too high, couldn't find a siphon so let it sit for a couple hours then checked again and now its bone dry again. The pan that's underneath the transmission thing is wet and there is a big leak coming from my muffler I believe. Please someone help me figure this out.

·
Super Moderator
19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport 5.7 Hemi 4X4 QC
6,817 Posts
Welcome to Ramforumz! I took the liberty of moving your post to another area where more members will see it, thus getting a better answer to your question. Enjoy the forum!

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
First off fill the oil. Second fix the leaks, If you have to drop the pan on the transmission replace the filter and the pan gasket. Did you check the fluid in the trans? Iac has nothing to do with shifting. If your check engine light is on have the code/s read and post them here.

·
Registered
209 Posts
This sounds unbelievable. The oil all leaked out in a matter of a couple hours? Is there a hole in the oil pan? Sounds like several separate issues going on, the most important being keeping oil in the motor. And what's leaking from the muffler? Check it out, it's possible it's just condensation and it's rusted at the seam. I'd also run a vacuum test on the engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts