DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I ordered my 19' Limited I didn't order the Tow Package because I really wanted the 360 Camera system that my wife really likes when she drives our larger vehicles.

Unfortunately I forgot to order the Trailer Brake Controller as a separate item and now I have to pull my large trailer end of this month and it seems the OEM part isn't expected to be available till end of August, which seems quite ridiculous to me.

What do you guys who tow often recommend? Do I just suck it up and get an ugly 3rd party one installed? Any recommendations?

Do you think the OEM part for the 2018's would work... looks like it would fit perfectly... can the control module be that different?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have no idea whether the interface or software is different, but I'm kinda in the same boat... I bought a TBC Saturday and the dealer is supposed to install it soon. I'm waiting on a call from the dealer.

You have to get one, even if it costs you to buy an aftermarket and/or you return it later.
Is that a possibility?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no idea whether the interface or software is different, but I'm kinda in the same boat... I bought a TBC Saturday and the dealer is supposed to install it soon. I'm waiting on a call from the dealer.

You have to get one, even if it costs you to buy an aftermarket and/or you return it later.
Is that a possibility?
What controller did you buy? The Mopar branded one? Or third party?

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
I would be guessing, but i would call Etrailer or Tekonsha
Ask if the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller will work in your vehicle

They have worked for the 2009 - 2018 Rams

At the same time, call other dealerships Parts Dept. to see if they know whether the 2019 Rams take the
Mopar Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
Part no. 82213474 or a newer version
$255.00
1 hour install

·
Registered
937 Posts
Just buy a prodigy P3 for the trip and don't mount it with the screws. When the OEM comes in have that installed and activated at the dealer. The P3 doesn't need to be activated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just buy a prodigy P3 for the trip and don't mount it with the screws. When the OEM comes in have that installed and activated at the dealer. The P3 doesn't need to be activated.
And it's just simple plug and play underneath the steering wheel area?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Factory Trailer Brake Controller. Installation is scheduled for Tuesday.
Hey Austingta, and they said it's in stock etc? They were able to get the part? Might you be able to PM me the dealership details that I might be able to call and see if I can order the part from them?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BTW My dealer ordered the integrated controller and it came in in two days. Last week.
Hey Austingta,

I tried PM'ing you but I still can not due to my status in the forum... anyway you might be able to PM me the dealership info and contact... I'm really not getting anywhere with my local So Cal Dealers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just spoke with E-Trailer.com and got bumped to three people and they all confirmed that nothing has officially been approved to work with 2019 Ram 1500's.

They couldn't guarantee any of their products would work.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Try calling these guys, they're a 5-star dealer and usually pretty good if I have questions.

Bonneville & Son
Manchester, NH
Parts: (877) 694-6378

To save a step for you, I just chatted with Mopar folks online at Mopar.com and they took ten minutes to tell me they aren't the right person to ask and you should send an email to them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Try calling these guys, they're a 5-star dealer and usually pretty good if I have questions.

Bonneville & Son
Manchester, NH
Parts: (877) 694-6378

To save a step for you, I just chatted with Mopar folks online at Mopar.com and they took ten minutes to tell me they aren't the right person to ask and you should send an email to them.
Thanks 14Hemi - I'm sorry though... I should email Mopar or Bonneville & Sons?

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Looking at the mopar connectors site, the 4-pin and 10-pin connectors that plug into the module under the steering wheel, and the connector that plugs into the controller, are exactly the same on the 2019s as they are on the previous years. The controllers themselves look exactly the same. The sales code is still the same. I say just buy the kit for the 13-18 rams, install it yourself, and have the dealer add the sales code.

·
Registered
28 Posts
^ scratch that. Just stopped by the dealer on my way home to have a look. The 2019 controller is shaped a little bit different on the bottom.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
Your Dealership Parts Dept. should be able to look up the

2019 Ram Integrated Brake Controller part number

Then call every Dodge/Jeep dealership within 100 miles of you & ask if they have that part number

The Mopar parts warehouse is in Los Angeles, one of the dealers parts departments should be able to order that unit & you could have it by Monday in Orange County

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey Austingta, and they said it's in stock etc? They were able to get the part? Might you be able to PM me the dealership details that I might be able to call and see if I can order the part from them?
They ordered it on Monday and it came in one day. BTW it was ordered from Maxwell CDJR Austin TX

·
Registered
937 Posts
And it's just simple plug and play underneath the steering wheel area?
You will need to buy the proper adapter for the trailer brake harness but yes. The harness is tucked up under the dash near the center by your right leg, just plug in the adapter, then the third party controller and done.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They ordered it on Monday and it came in one day. BTW it was ordered from Maxwell CDJR Austin TX

I will give them a call 1st thing Monday and see what they say. Please let me know how the install goes Tuesday . Thank you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I’ve called 10 local dealerships and they all tell me the same thing... that Mopar has not come out with the actual accessory to buy yet? So I am very eager to see what Austingta’s dealership says when I call them.

Your Dealership Parts Dept. should be able to look up the

2019 Ram Integrated Brake Controller part number

Then call every Dodge/Jeep dealership within 100 miles of you & ask if they have that part number

The Mopar parts warehouse is in Los Angeles, one of the dealers parts departments should be able to order that unit & you could have it by Monday in Orange County

1 - 20 of 21 Posts