DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See big problem 1 dealer tells me to use clear def another says use blue, book says API Approved.
I got this message after 3500 miles 2nd def fill up.
Check engine light and mileage count down to limp mode.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
If under warranty have the dealer fix it. If it is an Ecodiesel you can get a GDE tune and that will fix it and make it so if you are in warmer areas that don't freeze you can run distilled water.

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
DEF is 32.5% artificial aqueous urea & 67.5% deionized water

If that solution percentages are changed, the vehicle will go into Limp Mode, which is 5 MPH

You should include what your vehicle is when asking a question or making a statement about it

We can assume that it is a Ram diesel, but what year & Series, 1500, 2500, 3500, etc.

If you happen to live in one of those states that insist that a gas pump attendant fill your vehicle with fuel, they could have put a bit of diesel in the DEF tank by mistake

·
Registered
82 Posts
Why does your truck need a 2nd DEF fillup at 3500 miles on the truck? You should be able to go almost 10k miles between DEF fillups??

Maybe I missed something but there is no such thing as BLUE colored DEF..it's either clear or slight yellow tint..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Picked up truck new with full def according to gauge @ 1500 miles under 1/2 tank. Added 1st jug, @ 3500 miles was under 1/2 tank. Added second jug which diluted tank down to 20 on def refractometer. What little was left in jug tested @ 5. Specs say should be 35

·
Registered
686 Posts
It does not matter which brand, it matters if it's fresh and not been sitting around in a hot warehouse for a year. According to my owner's manual, in winter, let the gauge get down to half a tank, then add 1 - 2.5 gallon jug of fresh DEF fluid, don't top off. I buy mine at Walmart, their store brand works great, it's always fresh. Honestly, I don't know why they put such a big tank on the Ecodiesel, 8 gallons could go bad in the tank in hot weather. Dealer might have tried to sell you the "Mopar" brand, with pretty blue label. Same as the cheap Walmart stuff, just get to pay more.

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
Diesel exhaust fluid (commonly known as AdBlue®) is an aqueous solution of urea sprayed in a controlled manner into the exhaust gas flow through a Selective Catalytic Reduction (SRC) catalyst fitted to diesel vehicles to help reduce emissions of nitrogen oxides (NOx).

AdBlue, which is a product & should not be confused with BlueDEF, which is a brand name

Geno's Garage states that:
What makes one brand of DEF better than the other? Since DEF is a simple solution, your choice of “brand” is a lot like the best bottled water, who is the best at marketing? The real answer to the “best” is the production date.

Q. Are there special storage requirements for DEF?

A.
DEF
should be stored in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area, out of direct sunlight.
While the optimum storage temperature is up to 77 deg F (25 deg C), temporary exposure to higher temperatures has little to no impact on the quality of DEF.

Q. What is the shelf life of DEF?

A.
The shelf life of DEF is a function of ambient storage temperature. DEF will degrade over time depending on temperature and exposure to sun light.
Expectations for shelf life as defined by ISO Spec 22241-3 are the minimum expectations for shelf life when stored at constant temperatures. If stored
between 10 and 90 deg F, shelf life will easily be one year. If the maximum temperature does not exceed approximately 75 deg F for an extended period of time, the shelf life will be two years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts