DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting between 11 MPG and 12 MPG City/Highway Average with the Ram OEM intake system. Now that has increased to 17.2 MPG with the new Intake system on my 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L 4x4... A better than normal increase by no less than 5 MPG. The manufacturer K&N claims a increase in horsepower. After watching many videos on this K&N Intake tested was averaging 25+ Horsepower increase. Ka-Ching goes the coin back into my wallet. On a 30 gallon tank of 87 Octane that is a 150 miles per tank to the plus side. The system will pay for its self the first year easy. The Magna Flow Exhaust helped a little but really sounds throaty the way a 5.7L Hemi should. Exhaust is a little less restricted but helping a little over all.

This was a far test of equal amounts of in town driving and interstate driving combined. All speed limits were driven conservatively driven. Thanks for reading...

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Bet a piece of Handkerchief, stretched across the throttle body throat and held in place with a thick rubber band, would bump that mileage to 20-22mpg.
Then, practically nothing in the way of that free flowing, gas mileage increasing, air flow.

How are we just now hearing about this?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bet a piece of Handkerchief, stretched across the throttle body throat and held in place with a thick rubber band, would bump that mileage to 20-22mpg.
Then, practically nothing in the way of that free flowing, gas mileage increasing, air flow.

How are we just now hearing about this?
Not really sure why you have not heard of this. K&N have been around for many years...

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I lost mpg with a freer flowing air filter. Besides almost any air filter will flow what little air is used at most normal driving rpms.
Unless he had a serious problem with his factory setup, there is no way an exhaust (other than headers/etc) or an air cleaner improve mpg on the newer rams.
And the 25+ Hp gain, wow that's better or as good as the Pulsar using 93 octane fuel!

·
Registered
773 Posts
My 2012 has a rubber hose from air box to throttle body . It makes just about the same run as the aftermarket tube jobs. I run a K & n oem style filter. The aftermarket set up may get a little cooler air draw, but the oem pulls from outside the engine bay too. Plus the aftermarket one I saw I could not find a port for MAF sensor.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm thinking his original filter must have been totally plugged for that much of a change.Either that or he sells K&N.Only two reasons I could see for this kind of story.Factory filter on just about any vehicle will flow way more than enough air for normal driving.
BTW More air flow=more dirt passing through.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
"My 2012 has a rubber hose from air box to throttle body . It makes just about the same run as the aftermarket tube jobs. I run a K & n oem style filter. The aftermarket set up may get a little cooler air draw, but the oem pulls from outside the engine bay too. Plus the aftermarket one I saw I could not find a port for MAF sensor. "

That's a good think that you couldn't find a MAF sensor port - the hemis don't use a MAF :)
I think you might mean IAT sensor.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Oh, I know all about K&N. It;s one of those products, sold to newbie's, who don;t know any better, so they think they are actually doing something, for practically nothing.
K&N filters do not actually filter and cause engine damage. AN Open window is free flowing too but all that gunk causes damage. Reason your nose has Hairs inside it, to reduce the Gunk before it gets to your lungs. Where real damage can occur.

Now, where is that ginore this moron feature again?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was getting between 11 MPG and 12 MPG City/Highway Average with the Ram OEM intake system. Now that has increased to 17.2 MPG with the new Intake system on my 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L 4x4... A better than normal increase by no less than 5 MPG. The manufacturer K&N claims a increase in horsepower. After watching many videos on this K&N Intake tested was averaging 25+ Horsepower increase. Ka-Ching goes the coin back into my wallet. On a 30 gallon tank of 87 Octane that is a 150 miles per tank to the plus side. The system will pay for its self the first year easy. The Magna Flow Exhaust helped a little but really sounds throaty the way a 5.7L Hemi should. Exhaust is a little less restricted but helping a little over all. View attachment 130693 View attachment 130694 View attachment 130695
This was a far test of equal amounts of in town driving and interstate driving combined. All speed limits were driven conservatively driven. Thanks for reading...
I have a 2012 1500 2x4 w/321 gears and average 20 to 22 on the hway at 70 mph, with 17-18 combined. I have found that using Shell premium gives me the best milage. If I use less than premium my milage drops considerably. FCA recommends 89 min on the 5.7

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 2012 1500 R/T was getting averaging 15.5 mpg when I got it in June. Once I cleaned and recharged the filter in my Vararam Air Grabber my mileage went up to 16.5. I don't know what the mileage was before the Vararam was put on it but compared to the factory "up to 14 mph city" , I'm happy. I have seen several posts on several pages that say as long as they are charged (oiled) properly they can filter effectively and do offer mpg and go gains.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a 2012 1500 2x4 w/321 gears and average 20 to 22 on the hway at 70 mph, with 17-18 combined. I have found that using Shell premium gives me the best milage. If I use less than premium my milage drops considerably. FCA recommends 89 min on the 5.7
That's strange, my 2014 4x4 with 321 gears using 87 octane or 89, I get 20-24 on the highway at 70mph. FCA recommends 89 octane but 87 is acceptable per owners manual. New ones call for 87 octane and no difference in engine design. Consumer reports and other reports state that using other than what your engine is designed to use is just a waste of money. Octane rating is for engine knock or pinging, if your engine is a high performance engine then you need to use premium gas to prevent detonation, but since your Hemi engine is not a high performance engine then using premium gas is just money in the Oil company pocket and no benefit to your engine. Watch this video:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Oh, I know all about K&N. It;s one of those products, sold to newbie's, who don;t know any better, so they think they are actually doing something, for practically nothing.
K&N filters do not actually filter and cause engine damage. AN Open window is free flowing too but all that gunk causes damage. Reason your nose has Hairs inside it, to reduce the Gunk before it gets to your lungs. Where real damage can occur.

Not really sure why you have not heard of this. K&N have been around for many years...
Just because K & N has been around for years doesn't mean that they're actually good it just means that they are good at marketing them to a certain demographic.K & N has a place,just no so much in a daily driver.You live 5 miles down a gravel road you need a filter that works a 100% when you put it in and not a 100% when it's half plugged.Get your panties in a twist if you want but there have been lots of independent tests to that prove this.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
SITE MODS: SIte Glisch.

Ignored guy quotes one of my posts and site lets me know it.
Uh, this is a Ignore-ant Guy. I do not want to know he even Exists.
I do not care what he says or even if he still breathes air.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's strange, my 2014 4x4 with 321 gears using 87 octane or 89, I get 20-24 on the highway at 70mph. FCA recommends 89 octane but 87 is acceptable per owners manual. New ones call for 87 octane and no difference in engine design. Consumer reports and other reports state that using other than what your engine is designed to use is just a waste of money. Octane rating is for engine knock or pinging, if your engine is a high performance engine then you need to use premium gas to prevent detonation, but since your Hemi engine is not a high performance engine then using premium gas is just money in the Oil company pocket and no benefit to your engine. Watch this video:
I don't know about the 2020s, but my 2019 Hemi is recommended to use 89 octane and 87 is "acceptable".

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Your post is showing, so you should be fine. I've run aftermarket setups on other vehicles and found no gains so it isn't worth it to me, but that has no bearing on what works for you. If the truck is doing good things for you and you like the K&N, let others say what they want. It's your truck, your money, and your preference.
Enjoy it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
One of the easiest ways to improve your gas mileage is to inflate your tires to the correct pressure. ... Since the major factor that can increase fuel consumption is rolling resistance, you might want to check the tread pattern of your tires.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Tire press can help. Just dont go crazy and max it out. But 2 to 4 over what door jam says can help on highway. Just watch to see if wearing center out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts