DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha,

I have an 03 2500 that is having an ignition problem. Here is the break down of the events leading up to the problem.

I live on a hill with a steep drive way with a semi level carport. When I got home, I put the truck in park but did not set the parking break. I left the vehicle for 5 minutes. When I returned, my grandson was playing with the keys in the ignition. When I tried to start the vehicle, I could not get the key to turn in the ignition. I checked to see if the steering wheel was locked and it wasn't. Thinking that this may be a problem, I turned the whell until it locked. I still could not turn the key.

Any idea what the problem might be? I think the ignition has gone bad personally. If that is the case, could it just be the the tumblers, or does the entire module need to be replaced.

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Wonder if the grandson stuck anything in the lock cylinder and pushed it in with the key . Sounds like you need to take the lock cylinder out and have it repaired or replaced . Don't know if you can pull the cylinder out by just removing the column covers . If you need to pull the steering wheel be careful . Need to read up on how to disarm and handle the air bag correctly before tampering with it . If you don't want to mess with it , have it towed to a reputable shop that knows air bag work .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response... I will probably have a locksmith come and remove the old lock cylinder

G

·
Was the truck parked on the incline or in the carport? There is an interlock and it's possible the grandson managed to turn the key and, with the truck on an incline, the parking interlock would get stuck.

If you want to tackle the job, to remove the airbags you need to discharge the capacitors. Disconnect your battery at least 1/2 hour before you do anything else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.