DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently bought the wife a new Jeep Grand Cherokee. I was eyeballing the new 2011 Dodge Charger Mopar Edition.. To each their own, but I loved the car. I have always been a truck person, but if I was going to have a car, it would be a charger.

Stupid me started kicking around the crazy idea of trading for it. I love my 2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Sport and I just put a 4" lift and tires on it in May. I have also put a painted ARE tonneau cover, painted fender flares, bedrug, CAI, Sony DVD player and upgraded the speakers and amp with the KICKER's since I bought it. The only thing I am unhappy about is the 12-13 mpg that I get, but I was expecting that with the lift, tires and 3.92 rear end.

I never thought I could get close to $2000 trade difference with my truck but I think a dealership may be willing to do it for the charger. In gas alone, I would come out ahead over the next three years. And I worry about the power train warranty if something where to go wrong because of my lift.

I had been lurking in some of the charger forums and of course you know what they say. I just don't think I will ever have another truck like this one if I where to get rid of it. Sometimes I am like a dog chasing a shiny new toy when it comes to cars and trucks. My vehicle is not a daily driver and I can use the wife's Jeep when it snows. I am open to any feedback on your opinion if you wish to give it or call me an idiot

·
Registered
209 Posts
those new chargers came out looking really good. Especially the Mopar edition. Id probably go for it depending a lot on what youre gonna use it for. If its a DD, get the charger, if you ever offroad or move stuff around/haul, keep the truck

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
If you think that you really want it, go ahead & do it
You have years to make the change back as it suits your needs, it is not like your locked into it for the rest of your life

Personally i don't ever want another car, i like being able to see down the highway, i have had trucks since 1972

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I feel your pain. I've been there and done that. I then regretted it.

I had an '04 F-150 that I traded in on an '06 Expedition. I loved both vehicles, but I just didn't feel right not driving a truck. It didn't take me long to experience "buyer's remorse" on the Expedition.

I drove the Expe for almost 2 yrs, and stopped in to a Dodge dealer one day to "look" at the SRT4 Calibers... I drove away in a '08 QC Ram 1500. I was much happier. Then again I saw the 4th gen Rams and had to have one... LOL that is how I ended up with my '10 CC 1500 Ram.

It's your decision, and you need to do what you feel is the right thing to do. Personally I'd keep the truck, as you've done a lot of work to it, and I think you'll eventually regret not having the truck,, no matter how nice the Charger is.

good luck

Exco

G

·
If I could afford to have one of each, I would have one of each...

However, I can't so I don't and when I go looking for a vehicle, I consider my intended use and what vehicle will serve my needs.

Luckily, I can afford to have a car and a truck, plus whatever the Mrs. wants to drive.

But if I could afford to have one of each...oh man...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the info. If I wait a few years and get my truck paid off (along with a few other things) I could probably afford to have both. That would probably be my smartest decision. I hear you Excoastie, I am afraid that I will have buyer's remorse. But dang those Mopar 11 are sharp, in my opinion, and would be fun to drive. I havent heard back from the dealership, meaning they may not meet my numbers and it is a mute point.

·
Registered
491 Posts
You know, you only live once. If you want the car and making the trade works within your budget then do it. If you find that after a few years the car doesn't work out for you then you could always get another truck.

And talk about doing crazy things, I sold my Harley Electra Glide and Honda Accord to get my Ram. Folks called me crazy for selling the bike. And I'll probably start Jonesing come spring. But I can always rent a bike for a weekend. And the Honda is no love-loss. That thing had the most uncomfortable seats of any car I owned. After an hours drive my wife and I were in agony. The only thing good about it was the gas mileage. I don't know why I waited so long to get rid of it.

So I said fook-it and went truck shopping. I've always wanted a pick-up but the practical side of me steered me to economy cars. But this time I pulled the trigger and got a '12 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 with the Hemi. So here I am with my first ever truck and a smile on me face :)

·
Registered
754 Posts
My wife has a 2008 Charger RT/RT and it is a sweet car. The poor thing gets a work out everytime I get to drive it. They are great cars no doubt. I do sooo much stuff with my truck (avid hunter-that's what got me into the outdoorsman vs the larmie). This one is up to you brother !!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
re charger

they may be nice but can you haul anything in a charger ? this would be my # one question to myself.but if you dont have plans on using your truck to haul with then go for it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No I don't haul anything other than people and I don't tow anything. I am limited on hauling anything after putting the tonneau cover on it. We took it to Florida this summer and it was great having all that room for all the suitcases (one wife, two daughters). I was very happy with the ride after putting the lift and tires on prior to the trip. The gas mileage was a real killer though.

My vehicle is not a daily driver as I have a company car (although I cannot use it for personal use). My biggest fear is that the wife will have her Jeep and I will be stuck at home when I need to get out on a nasty, snowy day. I grew up in a rural area and have always had a truck. I need to cowboy up and quit being so wishy washy:)

·
Registered
754 Posts
No I don't haul anything other than people and I don't tow anything. I am limited on hauling anything after putting the tonneau cover on it. We took it to Florida this summer and it was great having all that room for all the suitcases (one wife, two daughters). I was very happy with the ride after putting the lift and tires on prior to the trip. The gas mileage was a real killer though.

My vehicle is not a daily driver as I have a company car (although I cannot use it for personal use). My biggest fear is that the wife will have her Jeep and I will be stuck at home when I need to get out on a nasty, snowy day. I grew up in a rural area and have always had a truck. I need to cowboy up and quit being so wishy washy:)
My wife's next Charger is going to be AWD. What about that deal ?

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
just the thought alone you want it, so go for it! i love the new chargers and you better believe i would do the same in a heart beat!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My wife's next Charger is going to be AWD. What about that deal ?

I thought about that. There are not too many 2011 AWD's left. I have only been able to find Tungsten and White in the AWD 11's and I would definately want black or red to be happy. Plus I was drooling over the Mopar 11. I tried to talk the wife into an AWD charger but she would not have anything to do with it before we got her the jeep.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No, she had no interest. I promised her that I would keep my mouth shut when it was time for her to get a new car other than to broker the deal. Believe me I tried. But her Jeep is nice and she likes it.

·
Registered
754 Posts
No, she had no interest. I promised her that I would keep my mouth shut when it was time for her to get a new car other than to broker the deal. Believe me I tried. But her Jeep is nice and she likes it.
Not busting on the Jeep we have had three of them. Just no one ever came up to my wife in a parking lot and started asking her about her Jeep.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I had a charger R/T and loved it. I had a few mods and hung out in the forums, it was fun. But it wasn't great in the snow and couldn't haul much so now I have a Ram w/hemi. I think of it as my "big charger". I want to lower it a bit, upgrade sway bars and put a magnaflow on to get more of that old feeling.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Well first if you do the trade in then sell the upgrades cause the dealer wont give you anything extra for them and 2 dont think your mpg will be much better with the car lol.And whats the price difference between the red one and the mopar one might be able to buy the reg one and then make it look that way.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't know your situation, but every time I have tried to trade out of a truck and drive a car or SUV, I have hated it and ended up trading back for a truck in less than a year. Even a "cool" car often loses it's "intrigue" once you drive it for a while, then you may regret trading the truck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts